Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
302 user(s) are online (269 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Ramrod Track Car or C-6
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I have a 96 LT-1, I enjoy working and driving it. I bought it as a hobby car, nevermind I always wanted one since I was 15. I'm debating the purchaes of a C-6, now I can't afford both, what would you do? Build the 96 or get a newer C-6???
Posted on: 2007/12/8 17:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:Track Car or C-6
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This is an important decision...

A few considerations:

A C6 is $50k. The base units are cheaper, but hard to find.

So keep in mind that insurance and, depending on where you live, taxes will go up. Here in California (and many other states) your annual tag renewal is based on the book value of the car. My renewal is about $80 a year, whereas a new C6 is several hundred $$.

The C6 is a vastly improved car, but it isn't without its problems. Both the C5 and C6 are having transmission and differental related failures. The more power added, the bigger the problems become. For cars out of warrantee, it can add up to a huge repair bill if you don't know the prior history.

As for the rest, I haven't driven a C6 yet, but I am betting it is nice. The C5 sure is.

At the same time, my C4 is paid for... and my insurance is only $450 every 6 months for full coverage! and it's not so complex that I can fix just about anything that goes wrong.

The current hot deal in Corvettes, in my opinion, is the 1992/E1993 Corvette, with an LT1 and a 6spd. The driveline (as long as it has the Black Tag ZF) is bullet proof (how many times do you hear of a Dana 44 blowing up?)... sure the car lacks some of the chassis improvements, but gee, those only show up on the race track, to be honest. The 94-96 6spds are still really good, but the blue tag ZF isn't as stout as the black tag. Don't even get me started on the 4L60 family of autos... yuck-o-matic.

The ride quality of the later C4 is very good and the handling quite nice.

As a purely personal thing, I prefer the look of the C4. I think the line is purer and less cluttered, plus, the shape is generally trimmer.

So in short, I would keep the 96... or upgrade it to an LT4.
Posted on: 2007/12/8 19:27

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Track Car or C-6
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Bogus, you simply must stop allowing your opinion to cloud the facts on the 4L60 trans mate, its really a very good transmission and i believe youre being very unfairly harsh on it.
Posted on: 2007/12/8 20:06

red_johnny RE:Track Car or C-6
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I would personally go with the C-6. They are very nice and it all depends on what you really want to do with it. Would it be a daily driver? A weekend car? Or strictly track? All questions that you would have to review to find the best medium of what you want.
Posted on: 2007/12/8 21:01

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Bogus, you simply must stop allowing your opinion to cloud the facts on the 4L60 trans mate, its really a very good transmission and i believe youre being very unfairly harsh on it.

We have had this debate, and I think we simply have to agree to disagree.

Anytime real power is applied to those things, they blow. The worse part is that for every good builder here in the states, there are 10 that suck wind. Again, it's being closer to the source and hearing more...

Too many folks have nuked them, and it just doens't make me feel warm and fuzzy.
Posted on: 2007/12/8 23:05

Ramrod RE:Track Car or C-6
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

My 96 is a weekend driver/track car, and working on it is my therapy and hobby.
A C-6 would be a weekend driver and sometimes DD I don't think I would put it on the track for some time.

It has a 4L60, has anyone put a 4L60 on a track?
Posted on: 2007/12/8 23:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know some folks using the A4 as an autocross car... but not as a road course car.

As an autox'r it's pretty good, just leave it in 2nd...

As for a road course, I donno how well it would work, the drop off from 2nd to 3rd is a bit harsh.
Posted on: 2007/12/8 23:54

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
My 96 is a weekend driver/track car, and working on it is my therapy and hobby.
A C-6 would be a weekend driver and sometimes DD I don't think I would put it on the track for some time.

It has a 4L60, has anyone put a 4L60 on a track?

Mate you can do whatever you like with them as long as you look after it and keep it well serviced, they are no where near as weak as Bogus would like to have everyone believe. What he doesnt tell you is most of these transmissions that die are probably as a result of one of the following:
*not being rebuilt properly,
*not being cooled properly,
*not being suitibly built for a moddified engine,
*not being serviced regularly enough
And there is no way he can prove otherwise.

Quote:
We have had this debate, and I think we simply have to agree to disagree.

Anytime real power is applied to those things, they blow [color=red](that is not true, mine is still in perfect condition and does about 300 miles a week)[/color:f2b9419fa9] . The worse part is that for every good builder here in the states, there are 10 that suck wind [color=red](that part is true, and that is certainly no fault of the trans itself)[/color:f2b9419fa9] . Again, it's being closer to the source and hearing more...

Too many folks have nuked them, and it just doens't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Yes indeed we have, and yes we do agree to dissagree, but youre potentially misleading people by giving such an opinion without stating it as such. If you state that its your opinion, then its no longer misleading.

In my opinion, the clutch that leaves the factory with the ZF is of a very poor standard from what ive heard.
Posted on: 2007/12/9 5:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The clutch becomes a problem with the ZF6 when more power is added... most aftermarket firms (see, there it is again) are not building good enough product to allow the clutch to work properly.

SPEC sells garbage - ask me how I know. The latest word on the street has their versions of the Valeo pressure plate being out of balance! I don't know that for fact, but gee, it wouldn't surprise me. When I had a SPEC installed 5 years ago, it had serious fitment issues, hell, they sold me the wrong part... but others, at the time, were having other fitment issues.

I will say that Mcleod has a good rep and Centerforce isn't too bad either. But all three of the companies have a history of explosions! I suspect it's a combo of too much power and a lot of abuse, tho...

As for your comments, you are right, but the litany of caveats you give should allow most ANY automatic to last, but the bottom line is still the same - add power, get it built right and is might be ok. The concern I have is that a lot of companies over here are NOT building it right. To be honest, the only person I would trust with one is Pete K.

The real problem with the A4 is the drop off in gear ratio... first is rather steep, then 2nd is a fall and 3rd another fall. It really tears them up. That is really the problem, GM needed a 5spd auto, but didn't invest in one. I suspect the new 6spd auto is going to be a lot better. I don't know why I say that, it's just a gut feeling.
Posted on: 2007/12/9 5:59

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

High stall converter will fix the drop off issue.

I havent heard anything about the 6 speed autos yet to know if they are any good or not, id imagine they will have some teething issues with the first couple batches, but only time will tell on that one.
Posted on: 2007/12/9 6:10

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

From the comments I suspect that both of you gentlemen are leaning towards keeping the LT-1 and putting the $$$ into a track car. Anyone got a 96 LT-4 Blk on Blk, 6 Sp. Lo. Mi, reasonable $$ for sale or trade?
Case, Bogus thanks for your input, I'd like to invite you both over to afternoon of garage talk and B/S session sometime, beers on me.
Posted on: 2007/12/9 16:22

red_johnny RE:Track Car or C-6
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well in that situation I think I would lean toward a C-6. But thats just me.
Posted on: 2007/12/9 16:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
From the comments I suspect that both of you gentlemen are leaning towards keeping the LT-1 and putting the $$$ into a track car. Anyone got a 96 LT-4 Blk on Blk, 6 Sp. Lo. Mi, reasonable $$ for sale or trade?
Case, Bogus thanks for your input, I'd like to invite you both over to afternoon of garage talk and B/S session sometime, beers on me.

Considering I am in Torrance and Casey is Australia... I might be able to make it.
Posted on: 2007/12/9 19:06

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Considering I am in Torrance and Casey is Australia... I might be able to make it.

Fair bit of a trip for me to make it over there for a quiet beer, but we'll have to see if we can fit that in when im over that way eh? Thanks very much for your kind offer
Posted on: 2007/12/10 6:58

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Fair bit of a trip for me to make it over there for a quiet beer, but we'll have to see if we can fit that in when im over that way eh? Thanks very much for your kind offer

Come on out for the Long Beach Gran Prix in April, and a quick trip to Las Vegas, I hear they have beer there? Oh yeah and I'll take you to Disneyland too.
Posted on: 2007/12/11 5:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Where are you, Ramrod? As I said, I am in Torrance.

We did the LBGP on Saturday last year, for the ALMS event. Great fun! We plan on doing it again!
Posted on: 2007/12/11 6:06

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHAHA!! Bloody Disney land eh? She'll be right mate, seen one theme park youve seen 'em all, not my scene, but be buggered if i know how you got your timing so good, itll either be april or may ill be over, if you cant get XXXX Bitter or Tooheys, ill settle for Fosters Lager. Thanks mate, youre a bloody good bloke
Posted on: 2007/12/11 7:17

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Quote:

We did the LBGP on Saturday last year, for the ALMS event. Great fun! We plan on doing it again!

I'm out Pomona Valley way. I've been going to LBGP for some time, geeze I was out there when the were runnin Formula 1 if that's any indication. I've been sitting out at the hairpin along the beach and park in the sand by the Yardhouse. I know a guy in the "Comittee 300" that works the event, he gets some good pricing on the 3 day event with a pass to a private party by the hairpin. Give me a call next April and we'll see if we can set you up. That's right about the ALMS there's nothing like a C6 going through the gears around that turn and down that straight.
Posted on: 2007/12/12 3:57

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Quote:
HAHAHA!! Bloody Disney land eh? She'll be right mate, seen one theme park youve seen 'em all, not my scene, but be buggered if i know how you got your timing so good, itll either be april or may ill be over, if you cant get XXXX Bitter or Tooheys, ill settle for Fosters Lager. Thanks mate, youre a bloody good bloke

So Las Vegas it is!!! I had to throw them both out there to see what your into. I don't care for Disneyland either, they don't have any strip clubs, or lap dancers. Seriously if your out this way drop me a line and I'd be glad to get you that beer and if it's during the LBGP we'll get ya in and tip a few there.
Posted on: 2007/12/12 4:07

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I'm out Pomona Valley way. I've been going to LBGP for some time, geeze I was out there when the were runnin Formula 1 if that's any indication. I've been sitting out at the hairpin along the beach and park in the sand by the Yardhouse. I know a guy in the "Comittee 300" that works the event, he gets some good pricing on the 3 day event with a pass to a private party by the hairpin. Give me a call next April and we'll see if we can set you up. That's right about the ALMS there's nothing like a C6 going through the gears around that turn and down that straight.

that sounds like fun! We will be in contact!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/12 5:32

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
So Las Vegas it is!!! I had to throw them both out there to see what your into. I don't care for Disneyland either, they don't have any strip clubs, or lap dancers. Seriously if your out this way drop me a line and I'd be glad to get you that beer and if it's during the LBGP we'll get ya in and tip a few there.

Hahaha!! Isnt that in Nevada? Sounds bloody good mate anyway, will see what i can manage when i roll on over
Posted on: 2007/12/12 8:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.