Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
309 user(s) are online (274 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Moe_Vette 89 C4 door impact (and possible effects on frame)
Guru Newb
33 Posts

Dear all

First off - please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong part of the forum (this is the 1st C4 online group I have joined and am still getting my feet) Must say I do really like the sites design and features (well done to the developers!)

I have a general question about a C4 Corvette I am picking up next week (this is my first Corvette and can't stop thinking about it .... time has never moved more slowly). She is a 1989 Coupe (Dark Metallic Blue which seems to be a rarity in and of itself) I am also very fortunate that the dark blue Leather Interior is showcase as it the engine compartment is immaculate (you could eat your dinner off the block - it really is that clean).

The gentleman whom owned this car before me really babied her (only put 5000 KM on per year from new). So I really am pleased with my purchase - BUT I HAVE ONE NAGGING CONCERN (and I don't mean my girlfriend - lol)

You see the passenger door was hit (I believe by a motorcycle in a parking lot) - it was hit hard enough that the door needs to be replaced but not so hard that the impact didn't even break the glass. All seems perfect other than this.

So the guy whom is selling me the car is also fixing it. I have asked him how the frame is as a result of such an impact - he assured me as he has worked on vettes for 20 years that the door impact DID NOT effect the frame in any way. He went on to assure me that in order to road certify the car the frame HAS TO BE STRAIGHT - or he will not be able to align the tires ... does this sound right to you guys?

So I realise life is a crap shoot and sometime you gotta buy a ticket to ride - based on my gut feelings I have already bought this car.... and wonder if any of you good people might be able to offer me some insights on just how the C4 frame would have taken such a door impact (I really am hoping you'll be able to re-assure my faith in GM's sound engineering and that all will be fine)

Also - are there any external tips you might be able to give me so when I pick it up next week I can try to do a visual inspection and test drive. As soon as I get it I am booking her in at GM for a through checkout ... I imagine they will be definitive on my situation.

Hopefully not the owner of a 2 ton pile of fibreglass
Kev

(many thanx)
Posted on: 2008/1/6 20:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:89 C4 door impact (and possible effects on frame)
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

From what you describe, I really doubt that this is an area of concern. But that being said, certainly he wouldn't mind your having the frame geometry and repairs verified by a qualified third party of your choice.
Welcome to the best C4 forum on the internet! We certainly hope to see you regularly. It sounds like you're getting an awesome car.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:05

CA_Irregular RE:89 C4 door impact (and possible effects on frame)
Guru Newb
Sacramento, CA
8 Posts

Can the door be opened and closed? Did you sight down the bottom side looking from behind the front wheel to the back?

If the sill looks good, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:06

j3studio RE:89 C4 door impact (and possible effects on frame)
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:
From what you describe, I really doubt that this is an area of concern. But that being said, certainly he wouldn't mind your having the frame geometry and repairs verified by a qualified third party of your choice.

I agree with Notorious.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:11

bogus RE:89 C4 door impact (and possible effects on frame)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Kev,

You posted in a good spot! Welcome aboard!

As for your concern. I wouldn't be.

The door is an independant component of the chassis, it will break, crack, bend, bow, long before the frame is damaged. The hinges and hasp can only take so much before they break, too. And when they break, they save the chassis and frame from further damage.

Think of it this way... the door is an air space... 6" of air (depending), that can act as a buffer zone to the frame. Besides, the sill area is also the strongest part of the C4 frame. It is the side instrusion protection zone.

Finally, a motor cycle would have to be MOVING to really hurt a car. Beyond a dent... they don't have enough weight to damage anything, except launch the rider. The front tire will absorb a lot, as will the front suspension.

As I said, don't worry... door dings are minor...
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:24

Moe_Vette Thanx everyone for your prompt replies
Guru Newb
33 Posts

cheers!!
Posted on: 2008/1/7 3:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.