Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
260 user(s) are online (222 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Grand Sport
RPO Z16.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, from 1963.

All were...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster (socal) Anybody tried Corvette Challenge?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Looks like fun.

http://svc.speedventures.com/fly.aspx?layout=rules&series=192

Resized Image

As far as I can tell it's a HPDE that you probably pay a little extra for to be included and your best laps are ranked with others. They have a points system for mods/classing and they make a season out of it. I think I'd have zero points as none of my mods are points worthy!

Lol, I'm guessing though that the guys running in this aren't the same type running embarrassingly slow in their C5/C6 around the track at some of the HPDEs I've done, so my wee little 240 hp would have to work harder.
Posted on: 2012/12/3 6:30

BillH Re: (socal) Anybody tried Corvette Challenge?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
As far as I can tell it's a HPDE that you probably pay a little extra for to be included and your best laps are ranked with others. They have a points system for mods/classing and they make a season out of it. I think I'd have zero points as none of my mods are points worthy!

Lol, I'm guessing though that the guys running in this aren't the same type running embarrassingly slow in their C5/C6 around the track at some of the HPDEs I've done, so my wee little 240 hp would have to work harder.

Kinda like our (SCCA) Club Trials except all Corvettes and it looks like they have open passing where Club Trials is only on the straights with point by.

You wouldn't think that the slow C5/C6's would enter. But ya never know, kinda scary if there's open passing because the slow guys usually lack the situational awareness. Our Club Trials guys are faster and generally better than our HPDE groups but, while the guys running at the front have it together, from midpack back, the passing thing seems to confuse them.

I did work a similar event this year, my buddie put on a 3 day event here with open passing in the "A" group, it went very well with no problems at all. But these were very experienced NorCal guys with damn,damn fast cars.

http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... p?topic_id=17819&forum=55

Hell, you should enter one, while I don't think there will be some embarrassingly slow C5/4's there, I'll bet some of them will only be in your rear view mirror.
Posted on: 2012/12/3 14:05

CentralCoaster Re: (socal) Anybody tried Corvette Challenge?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I checked the lap times and I would be competing for 2nd to last. Not much love for a stock motor C4 in their points system likely due to lack of interest.

They space the cars out but the competitive timing could make it dicey. It's bad enough now trying to get past these guys putting through the turns that smoke me getting onto every straight. It basically would leave me trying to pass only by underbraking them.

I'll get some more HPDE under my belt. I pass some of the C5/C6 drivers but the ones that know what they are doing will leave me in the dust. Still beats racing evos and s2000s.
Posted on: 2012/12/4 6:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
They space the cars out but the competitive timing could make it dicey. It's bad enough now trying to get past these guys putting through the turns that smoke me getting onto every straight. It basically would leave me trying to pass only by underbraking them.

I'll get some more HPDE under my belt. I pass some of the C5/C6 drivers but the ones that know what they are doing will leave me in the dust. Still beats racing evos and s2000s.

Coulda had a C5 for the cost of your kitchen remodel?
But last year, I coulda had a C2 for the cost of my remodel. Fkin' priorities,

Passing under braking is dicey only because you have to have confidence that the guy you're overtaking isn't an idiot.

Part of my job at the track is to watch the Club Trials sessions from the flag stand. I look for exactly what your sayin'.
If a driver is really holding someone up in the turns and walking away on the straights, I'll have him black flagged so I can have a quick discussion with him in the hot pit.
It's really unfair for the overtaking driver.

Happens a lot in the HPDE portions of our events too, but I'm always in a car, so I tell the driver that he has the option to do a drive thru to let the slower drivers get a half lap ahead of him.
Posted on: 2012/12/4 13:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

BTW, R U SouthCoaster???
Posted on: 2012/12/4 15:35

CentralCoaster Re: (socal) Anybody tried Corvette Challenge?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I know nothing of what you speak.
Posted on: 2012/12/4 16:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I know nothing of what you speak.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 16:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.