Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
215 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rear Hatch Release
There are releases on the trailing edges of each door and one under the center console.

The center console button will only work if the car is in...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy Pretty special kid
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I just read this in AutoWeek:
====================

By DUTCH MANDEL

Hunter Stewart is like other kids his age, yet he is not like anyone you've ever met.

Hunter plays soccer, baseball and video games. Outside his front door, the blue-eyed towhead from Carlsbad, California, can wake-board or ride an ATV at his dad's side. His freckled face is Ralph Lauren-catalog-cute, but behind his four-foot frame and child's whimsy is a hard-nosed racer on a mission.

Eight-year-old Hunter wants to cure breast cancer.

He does this not simply because his 34-year-old mom, Alycia, has the insidious disease. He does this because he believes it is the right thing to do. Hunter races a Ford Ranger Trophy kart to raise money and awareness for a cure. If his first season is an indication, he might get the job done.

Empathy has been with him forever. On vacations to Mexico, he takes clothes and toys to less fortunate kids. In a school contest, the third-grader raised money to buy a goat for a family in a developing nation.

This breast-cancer fight is a natural. Shortly after his family had decided to go racing, doctors discovered Alycia's cancer. At the same time, Hunter was in school learning about what scientists do. He already knew about raising money, so he put the two together and is now behind the wheel of a Susan G. Komen-liveried Desert Dog Racing Trophy Kart. For every lap completed in 2007, Hunter donated his $5 allowance. Last year, he gave $1,000.

His giving is infectious. As the family loaded their motor home for a race, Hunter grabbed a bucket. "Why do we need this?" his dad asked. "So that when I go to the track, more people can put money in." He was right: The series, as well as other teams, donated mightily. People came to recognize his passion and came to help.

Hunter was rewarded. In his first season, competing against kids up to four years older, Hunter finished fourth in the championship, earning a ride on the top-flight Team Adrenalin Trophy truck for '08.

Hunter's mom is doing all she can to be there for him and his sister. She's endured six rounds of chemotherapy and surgery.

What's next: With help, the Stewarts are setting up a nonprofit called Racing 2 Cure to help existing groups raise funds and awareness through motorsports. Learn more at www.hunterstewartracing.com.

Call it paying it forward--at speed.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 1:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:Pretty special kid
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Excellent story. Just in case we ever forget, with kids there is always hope for the future.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 1:44

j3studio RE:Pretty special kid
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

I saw that article too ... cool story, cool kid.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 1:46

Rex_Ruby RE:Pretty special kid
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Quote:
Excellent story. Just in case we ever forget, with kids there is always hope for the future.

Posted on: 2008/1/23 2:16

bogus RE:Pretty special kid
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I read it, too. Very cool kid!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/23 2:51

FLYINLOW90 RE:Pretty special kid
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Good Stuff

Maybe the future is in good hands....

Gary
Posted on: 2008/1/23 19:40

Notorious RE:Pretty special kid
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
[quote]Excellent story. Just in case we ever forget, with kids there is always hope for the future.

:withstupid]

My mother, who seemed to have a saying for everything said this, which was one of her favorites, "A child is God's way of saying that the world should go on."
I can't really be in the presence of a child without getting the feeling, from their idealism and observations, that the future is in good hands.
Now you know one of my soft spots. The other two are old folks and dogs....
Posted on: 2008/1/23 23:14

crash RE:Pretty special kid
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

gentlemen my wife is a breast cancer survivior when we found out she had cancer she cried for about 15 sec then aked what had to be done she had total masectomy on the left side went through her chemo for over a year never complaining one bit she missed about 2 weeks work i told her take a medical leave she said no kept herself busy and mind off the treatments chemo is over she is the greatest of spirits
the only compaint i heard from her is she lost all her beautiful hair its growing back now and she is happy
if any of you guys have to go through this with your loved one stand beside her all the way and support her believe me she will need it
i love my wife dearly and wouldnt trade her for anything in the world
we just celebrated our 28th annivarsy and cant wait for the next 28
Posted on: 2008/1/24 2:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.