Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

MikeB52 flywheel/clutch Balance issue! last resort
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Okay so some of you may recall my previous post a while back that I was having trouble finding a clutch to fit my lt1 zf6 94 Vette. I ended up going with a McLeod setup, Lee at mcleod helped me out when I called him with my concerns and gave me the part numbers for everything I would need and I ordered them up. I had them installed by my mechanic who specialized in the 90's era Chevrolets. So the clutch fit right in without any issue. Until he started the car... something is not balanced. He followed the instructions to the T and even took pictures and sent them to Lee at McLeod and Lee confirmed that everything was correct. However the car "wobbles" due to the inbalance. When I increase RPMs, it virtually goes away until its almost back down to idle speed and the shutter returns. Everything is brand new from McLeod and the car never had this issue before. I know that the weight that needed to be used is a 125 gram piece of steel which is somewhat common knowledge. Any ideas what could be causing this?? Everyone is baffled by this, including Lee at McLeod and its extremely frustrating!thank you!
Posted on: 2014/4/4 1:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Schrade Re: flywheel/clutch Balance issue! last resort
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:
Okay so some of you may recall my previous post a while back that I was having trouble finding a clutch to fit my lt1 zf6 94 Vette. I ended up going with a McLeod setup, Lee at mcleod helped me out when I called him with my concerns and gave me the part numbers for everything I would need and I ordered them up. I had them installed by my mechanic who specialized in the 90's era Chevrolets. So the clutch fit right in without any issue. Until he started the car... something is not balanced. He followed the instructions to the T and even took pictures and sent them to Lee at McLeod and Lee confirmed that everything was correct. However the car "wobbles" due to the inbalance. When I increase RPMs, it virtually goes away until its almost back down to idle speed and the shutter returns. Everything is brand new from McLeod and the car never had this issue before. I know that the weight that needed to be used is a 125 gram piece of steel which is somewhat common knowledge. Any ideas what could be causing this?? Everyone is baffled by this, including Lee at McLeod and its extremely frustrating!thank you!

Did McLeod ask for your mechanic's certifications? If not, that would bother me.

Did your mechanic pull the tranny back down for the snappics? If not, I'm curious how McLeod could say it looks hunky-dory.

Could be a tooth knocked off the tranny counter-shaft, but if it was ok BEFORE the swap, then there's not too many places to look, besides the clutch, or the wrench who did the work.

And the 'increase RPM vibe dis-appearance'? Fuggetabout it - it's still there.
Posted on: 2014/4/4 14:00

Resized Image

bogus Re: flywheel/clutch Balance issue! last resort
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will have to dig, but there was a TSB regarding balance for the LT4.

In short, YOU HAVE TO MATCH BALANCE THE LT4 DM FW!!! If not, this kind of stupid stuff will happen.

I cannot believe people are still claiming that you can throw any old flywheel on an LTx and expect it to be balanced like the factory OEM part.
Posted on: 2014/4/4 14:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: flywheel/clutch Balance issue! last resort
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Any internal motor work?
Posted on: 2014/4/4 16:11

MikeB52 Re: flywheel/clutch Balance issue! last resort
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

No the motor and tranny are BONE stock. The only "upgrade" is an MSD opti, coil, and MSD superconductor wires because I had the typical optispark issue.. he had the tranny out of the car when he took the pictures. I do know that some of the LT motors had balance issues from the factory so they put a balancer on the front of the motor as well. Some LTs had a neutrally balanced weight in the front, others, like mine have a balancer up front that is marked for top dead center installation because it needed to be balanced accordingly. The mechanic is very well known in the area and is typically very good. He said he's seen issues similar to this before but never this particular issue with this particular motor/tranny/car.
Posted on: 2014/4/5 15:28

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I will have to dig, but there was a TSB regarding balance for the LT4.

In short, YOU HAVE TO MATCH BALANCE THE LT4 DM FW!!! If not, this kind of stupid stuff will happen.

I cannot believe people are still claiming that you can throw any old flywheel on an LTx and expect it to be balanced like the factory OEM part.

how would I go about match balancing an lt4 flywheel. A centerforce came out of the car that had holes drilled to remove material from the side opposite the dowel pin for balancing. McLeod uses bolt on weights on right above the dowel pin. so who knows what the factory flywheel was balanced at..
Posted on: 2014/4/5 15:32

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

And would an lt4 balanced flywheel work just the same in my lt1?
Posted on: 2014/4/5 15:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The OEM dual mass had small weights that were added/removed as needed to fine balance the flywheel.

These weights were all around the outside edge. The factory would balance it all up, and then when you did the replacement, you put weights where they belonged to match their balance...

When you switch to a lighter unit, you need to match balance, and that means they go on a machine, 180* out, IIRC, and the balance is placed on the new unit to match the old.

IF they drilled or otherwise modified the replacement FW, there is your balance source. match to that and you should be ok.

Also, the clutch should be neutral balanced... if it's off, hm...
Posted on: 2014/4/6 1:16

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Yeah that all makes perfect sense. The centerforce was drilled directly opposite the alignment dowel pin. The McLeod has you add weights to the same "side" as the alignment pin, so essentially the same thing. But who knows what the factory one had because I don't have it. Is there any way that the motor can be "rebalanced"? Short of swapping the crank with a neutrally balanced crank?
Posted on: 2014/4/6 12:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you are getting closer...

take the old clutch and the new clutch and balance THEM.

that should fix the problem.
Posted on: 2014/4/6 17:57

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Problem solved. Got a flywheel from a bone yard and took both to work and match balanced them. McLeod was right on with the 125.5 gram weight. Purrs like a kitten now. And surprisingly quiet. Thanks for your input everyone! What to upgrade next?
Posted on: 2014/4/9 22:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Banski rear suspension and coil overs!
Posted on: 2014/4/9 23:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.