Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

MikeB52 Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Hey Guys, I apologize in advance because it seems wheel spacing is a relatively common topic, however none of it makes sense to me! I have a 1994 Vette and I love the look of the gloss black centennial cup wheels off a C6. I'm not sure but I think these particular wheels have a different offset than regular C6 wheels. Also, I'm due for new tires and I think it's time to bite the bullet for these wheels. (Plus I'm having some difficulty finding tires for my OEM wheels as Michelin discontinued their OEM Replacement tire) I guess my question is, are these wheels offset differently or can I use the 1.5 inch spacers all the way around to run these wheels?
Posted on: 2015/3/17 13:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Centennial:
Front 19 x 10" with a 40mm offset
Rear 20 x 12" with a 59mm offset

94 z51: 17x9.5, 54mm offset

The bigger question, is will they rub without sticking out?

Rear frontspacing:
12 / 2 - (59/25.4) + .25 = 3.93"
9.5 / 2 - (54/25.4) + .25 = 2.37"
Rear backspacing:
12 / 2 + (59/25.4) + .25 = 8.57"
9.5 / 2 + (54/25.4) + .25 = 6.63"

1.5" spacers will prevent that extra 2" of backspacing from rubbing. But it's gonna make the wheel stick out about 3" vs stock. Even with no spacer it would stick out 1.5" more than stock. I didn't calculate the front, but use the same math. You should first figure out how much backspacing the car can fit, then we can calculate what spacers (actually adapters) you'd need. Make sure and get the hub centric ones, they are less dangerous.
Posted on: 2015/3/18 3:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Screw Michelin. There are so many better choices for tires out there. If you want to spend some money, the Goodyear gsd3 is a good street option.
Posted on: 2015/3/18 3:03

MikeB52 Re: Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Yeah that makes sense. I would imagine the back will clear easier than the front in that they don't steer as long as the suspension travel doesn't allow them to rub on the fender, control arms, and maybe even mufflers when I hit bridge abutments and such. (oh well, I guess an exhaust is in my future then too!)

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Screw Michelin. There are so many better choices for tires out there. If you want to spend some money, the Goodyear gsd3 is a good street option.

And out of curiosity, why don't you like the Michelins? I have the old Goodyear Eagles now and have gotten decent mileage out of them, even for having a heavy foot but someone told me the Michelin Pilot Sports grip nice too.
Posted on: 2015/3/18 13:08

GRIS Re: Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7657 Posts

BEG PARDON FOR INTRUDING; I CAN'T SAY WHY CC IS OFF MICHELINS, BUT I HAVE NOT BOUGHT THEM SINCE 1970 AND NEVER WILL. IT WAS FOUND OUT THAT THE MANAGER OF THE DAU TIENG MICHELIN PLANTATION WAS FLYING VC ON AIR RECON IN HIS PIPER CUB. I KEPT SUGGESTING A "FRIENDLY FIRE" ACCIDENT, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED. BE DAMNED TO THEM!
Posted on: 2015/3/18 14:55

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

GRIS wrote:

BEG PARDON FOR INTRUDING; I CAN'T SAY WHY CC IS OFF MICHELINS, BUT I HAVE NOT BOUGHT THEM SINCE 1970 AND NEVER WILL. IT WAS FOUND OUT THAT THE MANAGER OF THE DAU TIENG MICHELIN PLANTATION WAS FLYING VC ON AIR RECON IN HIS PIPER CUB. I KEPT SUGGESTING A "FRIENDLY FIRE" ACCIDENT, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED. BE DAMNED TO THEM!

Well I guess that's as good of a reason as any! I guess it only makes sense to go with Goodyear, as far as I know, they're still American made.
Posted on: 2015/3/18 16:37

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Generally speaking, no they aren't. Nor are Michelin. People must think so by the prices they get away with though. You'd have to research that particular tire model to know for sure.
Posted on: 2015/3/18 19:33

j3studio Re: Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

Hey Guys, I apologize in advance because it seems wheel spacing is a relatively common topic, however none of it makes sense to me! I have a 1994 Vette and I love the look of the gloss black centennial cup wheels off a C6. I'm not sure but I think these particular wheels have a different offset than regular C6 wheels. Also, I'm due for new tires and I think it's time to bite the bullet for these wheels. (Plus I'm having some difficulty finding tires for my OEM wheels as Michelin discontinued their OEM Replacement tire) I guess my question is, are these wheels offset differently or can I use the 1.5 inch spacers all the way around to run these wheels?

Just on the chance that this information might be useful, there are reproduction Centennial cup wheels in different sizes. We have them with the summer tires on our Centennial narrowbody coupe, which came with the five spoke red-line wheels. Here are our cups:

Attach file:

jpg  NewWheels.jpg (341.93 KB)
718_5509e0d7e2040.jpg 1024X683 px
Posted on: 2015/3/18 20:32

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

Just on the chance that this information might be useful, there are reproduction Centennial cup wheels in different sizes. We have them with the summer tires on our Centennial narrowbody coupe, which came with the five spoke red-line wheels. Here are our cups:

That's a great idea! I wasn't sure that they did and if they did, whether they were of the same quality. From what I've gathered through searching around, C5 wheel dimensions will fit a C4 without clearance issues so maybe I could go that route too. I do want the wider tire look, not to mention the ease of finding new rubber. I've called all the local tire places and gone through the same spiel with them, give them the sizes and whatnot and they give me the "let me do more homework and call you back" and they never get back to me. Another motivating factor in a wheel upgrade.
Posted on: 2015/3/18 20:55

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Generally speaking, no they aren't. Nor are Michelin. People must think so by the prices they get away with though. You'd have to research that particular tire model to know for sure.

Well I'm sure the Wal-Mart Goodyear's are made in some 3rd world country for pennies on the dollar! I'd like to think my tires were made of a slighter higher quality than that... But i'll take your word for it that the Goodyear GSD3's are a good tire and that's what I'll go with, even though it's going to punch me in the wallet pretty good. Now I have to figure the rim situation out so I know what size to order!
Posted on: 2015/3/18 21:00

j3studio Re: Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

That's a great idea! I wasn't sure that they did and if they did, whether they were of the same quality. From what I've gathered through searching around, C5 wheel dimensions will fit a C4 without clearance issues so maybe I could go that route too. I do want the wider tire look, not to mention the ease of finding new rubber. I've called all the local tire places and gone through the same spiel with them, give them the sizes and whatnot and they give me the "let me do more homework and call you back" and they never get back to me. Another motivating factor in a wheel upgrade.

We're really happy with ours - we wanted a change for our seasonal rubber swap (the 2012 is my wife's daily driver so we go to all seasons from late fall through early spring) and we always loved that look. We got them from West Coast Corvettes, because they were one of the first to market; I think there are more choices now. Another shot:

https://flic.kr/p/pnVTg9

Posted on: 2015/3/18 22:47

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

We're really happy with ours - we wanted a change for our seasonal rubber swap (the 2012 is my wife's daily driver so we go to all seasons from late fall through early spring) and we always loved that look. We got them from West Coast Corvettes, because they were one of the first to market; I think there are more choices now. Another shot:

I do love the look of them. I initially got the idea from a youtube video of a 1990 Vette with an LS7 swap and its similar to my car's color and the wheels look great on it. This is going to be my ONLY set, that's all my wallet can afford right now. The car doesn't get driven from November to late April (I live in New England) so these tires should last me 4 years or so. Hopefully the wheels will last forever haha
Posted on: 2015/3/19 13:22

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I knock chinese parts all the time, but I honestly haven't realized the benefit yet to spending lots of money on wheels. I have chinese wheels on my vette and tacoma. I know the OEM castings usually save weight, but otherwise I've been satisfied with the various sets I've used.

Although last time I was at the track a porsche broke his wheel and nailed the concrete wall, I wonder what wheels he had on there. But I've also seen a Fikse wheel that failed in a similar circumstance and those are close to $800 each.
Posted on: 2015/3/19 21:53

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Yeah I'm weary of off-brand wheels and the only reason being that I live in New England and theres only 2 seasons here... Winter and Road Work. So the roads are in rough shape and I have D'ed up my fair share of rims so that's why I want to make sure I get a good quality wheel that I'll be less likely to put a flat spot in. As much as I try to avoid the nasty potholes, sometimes they sneak up on ya. Makes me wonder if the old steel Barrett stock car wheels are the way to go sometimes haha
Posted on: 2015/3/20 20:47

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:
Yeah I'm weary of off-brand wheels and the only reason being that I live in New England and theres only 2 seasons here... Winter and Road Work. So the roads are in rough shape and I have D'ed up my fair share of rims so that's why I want to make sure I get a good quality wheel that I'll be less likely to put a flat spot in. As much as I try to avoid the nasty potholes, sometimes they sneak up on ya. Makes me wonder if the old steel Barrett stock car wheels are the way to go sometimes haha

Bassett*
Posted on: 2015/3/20 20:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

I bet wheel diameter would be just as important if not more, regarding potholes.
Posted on: 2015/3/20 22:37

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I bet wheel diameter would be just as important if not more, regarding potholes.

Yeah plus the stiff run flat tires don't help. Thanks for all your input guys!
Posted on: 2015/3/24 15:08

bogus Re: Wheel Spacing for Centennial Cup Wheels
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

In my opinion, Michelin makes the best tires in the world.

War crimes and international marketing, not withstanding.

However, BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin and gets their engineering from Michelin, but in an American made tire at a lower price point.

I have BFG gForce KDWs on my 92 and recommend them to anyone.

Falkin, Nitto, Toyo, Bridgestone, Firestone, Continental and Cooper are all worth looking at.
Posted on: 2015/3/24 15:48

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
In my opinion, Michelin makes the best tires in the world.

War crimes and international marketing, not withstanding.

However, BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin and gets their engineering from Michelin, but in an American made tire at a lower price point.

I have BFG gForce KDWs on my 92 and recommend them to anyone.

Falkin, Nitto, Toyo, Bridgestone, Firestone, Continental and Cooper are all worth looking at.

I do like the "traction bar" down the middle of those, especially in the front for steering, they seem to grab better in all conditions. How's the mileage on them for you?
Posted on: 2015/3/25 14:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.