Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (281 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio If It Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be A C4
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

When I took the 1985 in for state inspection last month, I noticed that the passenger side backup light next to the license plate had burned out. Who knows for how long—except for the inspection test drive, I'm the only one who drives the car: and, of course, you can't see that the light is out until somebody puts the car into reverse ...

We're showing Lauren next Sunday (we try to show her once a year) at Corvettes for Chip at Thomas Chevrolet in Media, PA. So, after watching enjoyable NASCAR (Carl got a little pushy at the end) and Indy Car (Graham drove amazingly well considering he was missing big pieces of his car) races this afternoon, I pulled the car our of the garage. Ivelis verified for me that I was remembering correctly that the passenger side backup light was the one that was out.

I opened the hood, disconnected the negative battery terminal, and dropped the small wrench I was using down into the depths below the battery. Luckily, I dropped it so far that I was able to reach from under the body and knock it out. Save!

I removed the license plate and took a look at the situation. The backup lights are attached in much the same way that the side marker lights are. Understanding that particular interface helped me disconnect the bulb from its fairing. The light had obviously blown—the glass was no longer translucent. When I tried to remove it, I encountered problem #2; the bulb itself (likely original to the car) was so weak that it had almost completely separated from its bayonet cap.

Ivelis had joined me, and she gets credit for suggesting that I cut off what remained of the tenuous connection between the bulb and the cap with scissors, so I could get a better angle on the bayonet cap. Once I did that, about two minutes of time with some needle-nose pliers got the cap out.

At this point, Ivelis announced that she was going to have some champagne in honor of our anticipated success—and there would be some coming for me after I was done. I sprayed a lot of contact cleaner into the bulb housing and dried it. Next, I grabbed my “bulb kit,” dating from back when I realized that a non-functional light could just kill you in NCRS judging. I had not one but two of the appropriate bulbs inside, so I pulled them out, visually inspected them, and picked a likely one.

I applied some bulb grease and put the bulb in the socket. Connect the battery, start the car, put it in reverse—no joy. Disconnect the battery, rotate the bulb 180 degrees, connect the battery, start the car, put it in reverse; still no joy. The question was now whether we had only a bulb problem or a bulb problem and a housing problem.

I disconnected the battery, grabbed the other bulb, connected the battery, started the car, put it in reverse; Ivelis gave me the thumbs up. So, put the housing back into the fairing and check again—still good.

With that part of the back of the car opened up, it’s a chance to clean—so I did so, first with some Simple Green and then with some spray-on car wash from Griot’s Garage. Next, re-attach the license plate, making sure all the screw slots are horizontally aligned.

I drove Lauren into the garage and hooked her up to the battery tender. She’ll get some light prep on Saturday and we’ll see how she does on Sunday.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 1:00

Matatk Re: If It Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be A C4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad you got it fixed! Some of the engineering on this car makes you wonder. Just be glad it wasn't a brake/tail light
Posted on: 2016/4/25 10:36

bogus Re: If It Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be A C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Nice, nasty little job done!

Have you tried doing light bulbs on the tail lights yet? They are not fun... not at all... the license plate hole is the same access point. When it comes time, be sure to have a lanky teenager around, who can reach up there and get to the bulbs. Stupid idea... very stupid idea... Apparently, Bill Mitchell was a real stickler for not having exposed screws... At least my 92 has screws on the outside. oh, and I added blink-blink to mine. Most cool.

First rule of thumb, John... unless you are messing with the starter or alternator, don't bother disconnecting the battery. If the circuit is dead, it is dead... no point in taking the extra step, that increases the chances of stripping out the battery posts!

I have even done alternators with the battery plugged in. Take that hot wire off, wrap it in electrical tape, swap the alternator, and put that wire back on as the last step.

Same goes for the starter, too.

Now... if you are really digging in, heads, engine, clutch, by all means, disconnect and even remove the battery completely. That makes sense... but for a bulb change? It adds steps to test that are really annoying... at least to my lazy ass.

And props to your most excellent wife for assisting!

Posted on: 2016/4/26 1:35

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: If It Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be A C4
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
At least my 92 has screws on the outside. oh, and I added blink-blink to mine. Most cool.

blink-blink? Blinker fluid?

Glad you got it resolved but it ain't over till you have a sticker. Back in the olden days a sticker could be had for an extra $10. At least that's what my friend told me .........
Posted on: 2016/4/26 3:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

blink-blink... it converts the tail lights to sequential, like on the old t-birds.

Oh, and those stickers are worth 10+ hp each.
Posted on: 2016/4/26 16:16

TommyT-Bone Re: If It Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be A C4
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I know Andy. I had the pleasure of once owning a 66 T-Bird. The sequential lights were the bomb. Especially with 3 lights per side.
Posted on: 2016/4/27 3:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, yea! My all time fave's!!!!!
Posted on: 2016/4/27 16:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.