Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
253 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

hcbph Starting on this winters list
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Well I've started making my list of all the things I want to get accomplished this winter on the Vette. Most of them I'd list as nuisance items, none affect the cars drivability at this time. List for the 86 I think is shorter than it was last winter. I'm planning on starting once the Fall Color Run is done in October.

Here's what I've got so far:
The serpentine belt idler squeaks, going to replace that.
Replace the O2 sensor just because I don't know if it ever was done in the past.
Replace the interior light delay relay. It's apparently burnt out and requires taking the seat out to get to it in my case (not as flexible as I used to be).
Maybe try and replace the IAC valve. It's working but was sticking apparently at one time.
The one that bothers me the most is the ABS light stays on 100% of the time now. Used to only do it occasionally, and if it was on at startup usually if I stopped the engine and restarted it went out. Now it's on solid 99% of the time. I'm suspecting it's one of the relays on the unit as every once in a great while it's off. Unfortunately without that j35890 tester most of it is pure guessing on my part. I've already done the stuff listed to check in the manual but now at the tester required portion and best I've found is $400 on Ebay and that's hard to swallow for a one time use.

My short list. Anyone got other 'easy' things to check/replace that aren't on the normal maintenance list for a L98?
Posted on: 2017/8/21 13:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Starting on this winters list
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Interior light timer relay board is usually located behind the breadbox in the dash. Not sure if/when they put it under the seat.

ABS as mentioned requires the tester. Too bad you're not closer. A common cause is metal flakes building up on the magnetic sensors at the ring. Try cleaning them. The wiring is also suspect. There is a good article from CF (when it was good and "techie") that had some step by step tests. I can find it later if you're interested.

IAC I would clean first (then use reset procedure).

Clean the throttle body as well as a PM (at the same time as IAC then do idle relearn).

Check and adjust the TV cable (automatic transmission).

I'll think of more later.
Posted on: 2017/8/21 20:08

TommyT-Bone Re: Starting on this winters list
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

My winters list is a carry over of my summer list. Dash light bulbs, headlight motor gears. Have stereo/alarm repaired in the 91. Short list really.
Posted on: 2017/8/21 21:36

hcbph Re: Starting on this winters list
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Interior light timer relay board is usually located behind the breadbox in the dash. Not sure if/when they put it under the seat.

I realize that it's in the dash. Already tried taking the dash pad off and couldn't get to it or see it. I've tried pulling the hush pad and couldn't work myself enough to see or get to it. Hoping if I can pull the seat I can lay there and see up into the dash and find the thing. Unfortunately due to an old injury the back doesn't always cooperate so it's my next best try.

Too bad they didn't put that thing where it was easier to get to. I'm thinking of pulling the breadbox at the same time and replace it with a flat panel. Or might do that first and hopefully get a better shot at where that light relay is located (I hope).

Interesting to see what everyone else has planned. Me I'm waiting till after our Fall Color Run in October, don't want to screw anything up in the mean time.

Matatk - if you can find that ABS article, I'd sure appreciate it. Everything keeps coming up you need that tester which I don't have. Sorry but $400 best price for a hopefully a single use just doesn't make sense to me. I grew up without ABS but I'd like to get it working if at all possible.
Posted on: 2017/8/22 11:55

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Ok, I misunderstood your original post. Replace the breadbox. It was hard stomaching $50 for a plastic replacement panel, but it's worth it.

Here is the link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c ... ed-abs-help-or-tools.html
Posted on: 2017/8/22 17:51

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Ok, I misunderstood your original post. Replace the breadbox. It was hard stomaching $50 for a plastic replacement panel, but it's worth it.

Here is the link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c ... ed-abs-help-or-tools.html

I appreciate the info. Has anyone ever heard of using BMW sensors on a Vette Before? I found an old forum thread that claims some old BMW & Porsche sensors work (but they don't mention which ones) because Bosch made both the GM unit and the other units. Also referenced OTC Mitusubishi ABS Tester MB991131-02 as a possible substitute for the J35890 tester.

This is the other thread I found that might be of use: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c ... kent-moore-j-35890-a.html

I'm still looking for info, hope to learn more.
Again, thanks for the info.
Posted on: 2017/8/23 0:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Tester does look identical cosmetically. I have zero experience swapping the sensors from a different vehicle so you'll be doing some first hand research there. But it would make sense since independent suppliers were manufacturing the parts.
Posted on: 2017/8/23 3:02

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Actually I've been collecting parts for about 3 years now and have most of the abs systems right now. They're used but I've still found them. Now it's a matter of testing what's on the car and figure out where the failure is and replace it. My biggest problem (which your thread helps with) is how to test the parts if you don't have the tester.

Hoping to make some progress now once it cools off and put the car to bed for the winter.
Posted on: 2017/8/23 10:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.