Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
214 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Good Morning Gurus!

Not too much going on here.

I did get a call from the guy I hope to be working for in a few months. It is looking like I will be on location for nine days sometime in March, shooting part of the show. I'm not sure which racetrack we'll be shooting at. He mentioned Texas, Arizona and California. Whichever one it is, I will let you guys know, and maybe if I am close to any of you, we can get together, or I can get you on location for the shoot, if you are interested.

Looks like I may be full-time with the new company on April. So the March shoot is a big chunk of freelance cash. I gotta burn a vacation to do it, but that is not a problem.

How ya'll doin?
Posted on: 2008/2/6 15:15

bogus RE:Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Cool! Location rocks!

I am off. There is a Microsoft event in LA today. Need to get rolling!

Tonite is team trivia nite...

See you all later!
Posted on: 2008/2/6 15:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone RE:Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

Quote:
I am off. There is a Microsoft event in LA today.

Tell Bill I said hello.
A/C keeps going out on the 90. I think the leak is in the input valve. At least it's not too hot this time of year. I haven't driven it recently so I was pleasantly surprised to feel the low end torque while shifting with the 6 speeds. That car is a lot of fun to drive. Since it's resale value is so low I'm going to drive it till it croaks. I don't think it will fade for a long, long time. Thats alright with me.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 16:01

FLYINLOW90 Re: Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:
Good Morning Gurus!

Not too much going on here.

I did get a call from the guy I hope to be working for in a few months. It is looking like I will be on location for nine days sometime in March, shooting part of the show. I'm not sure which racetrack we'll be shooting at. He mentioned Texas, Arizona and California. Whichever one it is, I will let you guys know, and maybe if I am close to any of you, we can get together, or I can get you on location for the shoot, if you are interested.

Looks like I may be full-time with the new company on April. So the March shoot is a big chunk of freelance cash. I gotta burn a vacation to do it, but that is not a problem.

How ya'll doin?

Hey Cool

What kind of work do you do??

I used to work on a film crew filming TV Commercials for Ford/Lincoln-Mercury. We also did marketing events and auto shows etc.

Cool work but I was gone a long time. I would leave to go to California and the wife would be at the front door crying. I would stay out 1 month then I told them I was coming home.

I loved it. Always worked with beautiful women and went to beautiful places. They don't film commercials in the ghetto's.

Gary
Posted on: 2008/2/6 18:21

CSS996 RE:Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Right now I make those cheezy local television commercials you see running for local businesses. Although mine are not too bad. I've been doing that with a major cable company for eleven years. Pay is just OK, but benefits are outta sight.

I also do corporate videos and longer format stuff on the side. I make out like a bandit on those, because I can write, direct, shoot, edit, do graphics and author interactive DVDs on my own. So I don't have to pay anyone for anything.

That's where I make my play money. I bought my Vette from the proceeds of about 3/4 of one job last year. I make sure my kids have cool toys and that my wife can travel back home to PA a few times a year, all with freelance work.

I hate to think about leaving the deal I've got going, but the regular 8-5 job is pretty corporate, and I'm tired of working for "The Man". Ya know? It used to be a fun company, but the bean counters have taken over. I suspect that has happened to a lot of companies.

I have not had to do much traveling in my current position, but that may change with the new job. Hopefully it is not too destructive for my family. I think it will be maybe one or two months a year and that's about it.

The position I am considering is a shooter and editor for a reality TV show, but also being an influential partner in the production company that will produce the show.

Basically a show that brings a bunch of drivers together to compete for a shot at an Indy car sponsorship. I've seen the promos and stuff they have already produced, and they need my help pretty badly.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjW1cVaMdY8[/url]

This lacks energy, IMO. They could have done much better. But the folks that are responsible for this edit have been sacked. I think it's my turn next.

I am cautiously optimistic...
Posted on: 2008/2/6 18:46

FLYINLOW90 RE:Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Well it certainly is an interesting business. As you know it is always challenging getting the shot right and on many shoots we have waited hours just to get the light right.

I've watched grips take hours lighting a car for about a 5 minute shoot.

I loved the work but it is pretty demanding.

What you're doing sounds cool too but I guess once you lose the interest in it for any reason it would be hard to make a good product.

The free lance Gig is a good one for sure. I've also worked with many Directors that free lanced for Ford Communications Network. They were pretty cool people and from what I could gather, like you they did very well financially.

I wish you luck with the new adventure. I'm sure you'll be fine. Keep us up to date if you can.

One question though. Where in Pa. is your wife from?? I grew up in Lancaster County. Ephrata to be exact.

Take Care
Gary
Posted on: 2008/2/6 22:11

Ramrod RE:Wednesday Chat 02.06.08
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Cool job! How's about shooting a quick Corvette GURU promo that runs when you log on? Let's see where could you get 20 Corvettes racing down El Mirage dry lake, CA, towards the camera?
Posted on: 2008/2/7 4:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.