Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
213 user(s) are online (184 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

ironcurtain Help with Valve Covers
Guru Newb
39 Posts

Hey guys,

I have been having issues with this and need some help. I have LT4 Roller Rockers and i have my LT1 stock valve covers on there but i think there might be some clearance issues( i have double gaskets, i know not smart but i did it at the time) I had some valve covers i could put on unfortunately it wont' fit on the driver side because of the alternator clearance. Do you guys know anywhere where they sell valve covers for the LT1 that are higher than stock but will fit the driver side without hitting the alternator? thanks
Posted on: 2008/2/25 18:34

dan0617 RE:Help with Valve Covers
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I don't know anything about LT1 but on L98 the stock valve covers will clear narrow body 1.6 rockers as long as you remove the drip tabs. There is no problem with double gaskets as long as you have them positioned perfectly when you tighten the valve covers down so they don't leak. Why do you think you have clearance issues? Are the rockers hitting the valve covers on the inside?
Posted on: 2008/2/25 23:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

ironcurtain RE:Help with Valve Covers
Guru Newb
39 Posts

i really don't think they are hitting but after switching the passenger side valve covers with taller valve covers the car feels like it breathes better especially at higher RPMs but well see. Thanks for the Reply.
Posted on: 2008/2/26 5:02

JAKE266 RE:Help with Valve Covers
Guru Newb
Kempner, Texas
22 Posts

I had a similar problem when I built my 388. The stock covers wouldn't drop all the way down to the head due to poly-lock clearance. Locks were too tall.

I tried shorter poly locks and even clearancing the inside of the cover but still not enough clearance.

So I went with ProForm 1/4" taller covers from Summit; black krinkle with red CHEVROLT logo. The passenger side dropped down all the way and buttoned up fine, but not the driver's side; the alternator became the obstable.

So I used a Sharpie and marked the area on the alternator where the cover hit, removed the alternator and, using a grinder, ground off the offending area. That's all it took.

I first masked off all the openings in the alternator so no aluminum chips would get inside.

Jake
Posted on: 2008/2/26 18:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.