Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
322 user(s) are online (266 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

c4-zo7-91 question r.e running of car that has not been driven for some time
Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi guys,
how are ya!
im just wandering for a car that has been put up on stands for the last 6 months or so and has not been driven on the road and used.
the diff and gear box oil for the zf 6 speed were changed not long before the car was taken off the road so all is still pretty fresh oils.
im currently getting my haltech stand along computer installed next week to run the 8 throttle body cross ram intake so i can finally get the car running and moving,yippy,horay !!!
i will still be running the old orginal engine in it for the time being so i can get the tune roughly about rite on the dyno and im still in the stages of builing up my 388 c.i race motor on the engine stand.
that wont go until end of year once i get my afr comp ported race heads!!
so is there any procedure or info i need to do seeing the gear box/diff havent been rotating and the oil hasnt been circualting in all that time around the diff and gear box or can i just drive rite away and take it quitely to get all the oils moving aghain around ??
may be it sounds silly,but just wanted to know in case i do any damage which i doubt would happen but just wanted to make sure any way.
cheers guys
thanks in advance
glen
Posted on: 2008/4/5 0:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: question r.e running of car that has not been driven for some time
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

For the engine, squirt some oil into the cylinders.

for the driveline, nada.

I would bleed the brakes and clutch.
Posted on: 2008/4/5 0:56

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: question r.e running of car that has not been driven for some time
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

6 months is nothing. It wouldn't be a bad idea to prime the oil pump though.

Do this by holding the throttle to the floor and cranking it over 5-6 times. Yeah it rotates the engine, but slowly, and it won't fire any of the cylinders during this because the computer shuts the injectors off.

Then just start it normally.

I've started mine up after putting the oil pump back in without priming it and yes it did squeal!
Posted on: 2008/4/5 3:04

c4-zo7-91 Re: question r.e running of car that has not been driven for some time
Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi guys,
thanks for your replies.
i did manage to just idle the engine for a couple of minutes about 8 weeks ago as i could only get a very rough idle due to much fuel/air and the standard ecm couldnt handle it,so know problem there ,but it is the gear box and diff i was worried about as the old motor will be pulled out at the end of the year any way for the new 388 c.i to go in!
thanks fellas
glen
Posted on: 2008/4/5 5:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.