Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
194 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Ultraman, more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Why a 11" clutch doesn't quite work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here are photos of my original flywheel after about 10,000 miles on a clutch. The original flywheel surface is only 10.75" diameter. The 11" clutch will hang past the friction surface. I didn't figure this was a problem...

...except that it wears an edge on the clutch disc, which then digs into the flywheel bolt areas. This tore a chunk off the clutch disc.

Resized Image

Resized Image

The disc is also cracked elsewhere, not sure if that's related, or just a cheap clutch. Either way I replaced it. It never held that well anyways, maybe the uneven clamping force had something to do with that.

This time around I used a flywheel from Kragen, Standard Flywheels #6516, it's heavier than the stock piece, but the friction surface is larger. It was a little thinner than the stock piece too, but this didn't cause any issues with my ZF clutch setup.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

So YES an 11" ZF clutch can be used on the 84-85 if you change the flywheel. The pressure plate bolt pattern from 84-96 is exactly the same.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 20:09
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2008/4/14 19:36:33
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2008/4/14 21:44:03

bogus Re: Why 11" clutches don't work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Interesting...

I see you still refuse to use a sprung hub...
Posted on: 2008/4/12 23:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Why 11" clutches don't work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sprung hub is NOT an option, check the flywheels in the 3rd photo, it doesn't fit. Maybe there are 2-pc rear main flywheels out there with a really deep dish to clear the sprung hub, but I don't know which, and they may end up being too thick for the clutch set to fit in this very small ZF bellhousing.

I should let you drive it next time I'm up, you'll see it's not an issue.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 6:32

bogus Re: Why 11" clutches don't work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I drove it last time, and it wasn't that bad, really...

I forgot, you have a 2 piece seal... ok... forget that then.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 7:08

CentralCoaster Re: Why 11" clutches don't work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I thought it was grabby due to that, but it was actually from the clutch engaging too high. Seems to be fixed with the ZR1 pressure plate. The throttle body gets sticky off idle when hot too, which is aggravating.

I'm putting in new hydraulics tomorrow though, so we'll see what that does. Seems like people slap these things together and if it functions, it's good as gold to them. I'm a picky SOB.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

well, yea, we know that...
Posted on: 2008/4/14 2:25

jhammons01 Re: Why 11" clutches don't work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

IF that is the same flywheel we put on mine.....I couldn't be happier.

I have to track down a U-joint or something on the driveline that worn out and causing a bit if what could be clutch chatter....but on a brand new clutch, there is no way it is chattering. Plus when I reverse quickly, I can feel something towards the rear end......how can I say it......almost slipping for just a moment and then grabbing. Like a u-joint turning in worn journals.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 15:46

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You sure it's not your rear spindles slipping? You just had someone replace the rear bearings right? These will shift on initial movement, then they shutup.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 17:01

jhammons01 Re: Why 11" clutches don't work on 84-85 Corvettes. (ZF swap w/ factory flywheel)
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I think the rear spindles are twisted or slightly loose or the u-joint has let go.

Honestly, I've been lazy about getting it checked. But it is one of the sources of my high speed vibration I told you about months ago.

1). Rear end drive train vibration, Right side
2). Left Front suspension bushing is out.

But the Clutch is great.

I've been picking off these little annoyances one at a time.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 19:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.