Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT1
Engine used from 1992-1996 (in 1996, automatic equipped only)....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Randyj75 Couple of Questions Before I Start Install
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Getting ready to sound deaden my C4 coupe, and install an amp and subs in place of the 6 x9’s in the rear, but I have a couple of questions.

I would like to install the amp (Arc Audio Kar 600.4) on the back wall by attaching a piece of ¾” plywood to the rear bulkhead w/ silicone, but I am afraid it will not hold, as the amp is heavy. Has anyone done this with good/bad results?

I want/need to sound deaden the car, as the noise from the tires is unbelievable at speed. I have a Crazy Cowboy kit for the car, but I know this will not be enough. I am going to use RaaMmat and Over Kill Pro on the doors . I am also considering lining the inside of the wheel wells w/ the RaaMmat. I will also do the inside of the hatch area w/ the RaaMmat and the Over Kill Pro. Do you think one roll of RaaMmat (62.5 sq ft) will be enough? The doors and inside the car come first, as I can do the wheel wells anytime.

Any comments, ideas, or tips welcome.

Randy
Posted on: 2008/5/13 5:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Couple of Questions Before I Start Install
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am using frost king for that, but to really help with the noise, put a thin layer of the mat stuff and then add carpet padding... the dense stuff, mastick? I don't remember.

That will dull the roar.

What kinda tires?
Posted on: 2008/5/14 5:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Couple of Questions Before I Start Install
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I haven't done any sound deadening yet, but I've heard that sound deadening the doors makes it tough to get the panels back on. I'd double check the clearances.

Post some pics as you go!

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/14 13:11

CentralCoaster Re: Couple of Questions Before I Start Install
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think you're wasting your time with the RaaMat. I say this because I did the same.

It won't get rid of any road noise. It is made for dampening low frequency vibrations from thin panels so they don't shake as much when a sub hits. To get rid of road noise you need something thick and lighter, like that recycled felt-like material the factory puts under the carpet on most cars. Which is precisely why they use it.

Or try some quieter tires.
Posted on: 2008/5/14 16:17

Randyj75 Re: Couple of Questions Before I Start Install
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am using frost king for that, but to really help with the noise, put a thin layer of the mat stuff and then add carpet padding... the dense stuff, mastick? I don't remember.

That will dull the roar.

What kinda tires?

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires

I think the Second Skin Overkill Pro will help kill the tire noise, I am also going to remove the rear wheel wells and line them w/ the RaaMmat. What I really wanted to know is if anyone has attached a piece of plywood to the rear bulk head and hung an amp off of it. If I put it on the floor, I will have to build something to protect it, so I can throw a bag or a couple of cases of beer back there.

Thanks for the responce guys, three more then over on CF.

Randy
Posted on: 2008/5/15 3:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It's just fiberglass with corrugated/reinforcement ribs running vertically and a gas tank close behind it. I don't see why you can't attach 4 studs to it with washers and then stick your plywood onto that with your amp. Or mount the amp directly.
Posted on: 2008/5/15 16:24

Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
It's just fiberglass with corrugated/reinforcement ribs running vertically and a gas tank close behind it. I don't see why you can't attach 4 studs to it with washers and then stick your plywood onto that with your amp. Or mount the amp directly.

Thanks , CC
Posted on: 2008/5/16 8:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You might even have luck going the bubba route and running some self tapping sheet metal screws through it, those work in fiberglass, obviously make sure they don't drill too far. Could possible loosen over time though if you have lots of weight on it. Why not just set the side of the amp on the floor and use those 4 screws just to keep it vertical, not actually carrying the weight.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 22:44

Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

OK, here is my idea on how to do this. I saw a post over on CF were a guy drilled holes into the metal piece that runs along the top of the rear bulkhead. I am going to remove the carpet from back there, use a piece of cardboard to make a template that fits against the bulkhead. I'm going to cut some 3/4" plywood to fit, and then decide were to mount the amp. I will then drill holes for the amp and counted sink them, so that when I attach the plywood to the bulkhead, the four screws will stick out from the bulkhead. I can the cover the plywood w/ sound deadener, and the rug, and then mount the amp, useing some stand off's, so that it is not resting against the rug.

What do you guys think?
Posted on: 2008/5/21 5:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.