Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
295 user(s) are online (269 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

So yesterday, I got a ride in a brand new 2500 Durmax Diesel Pickup. I couldn't help but appreciate the massive torque, and even liked the tune the engine played. It was just a cool truck.

I was intersted in finding more about this engine and what it could be swapped into (I have a Chevelle that needs a motor).

Wouldn't you know it I stumbled across a few articles...

2009 C6 Corvette available with a Diesel Engine. Could it be???? I don't know about you guys but, I think that is really trick. Maybe not for all the corvettes, but not a bad "option."

What do you guys think???

DG
Posted on: 2008/5/19 3:10
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

NC Kid Re: Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I don't care for diesels as the trucks are very smokey and the engine is not to my liking in the sound.

Edited.
Posted on: 2008/5/19 4:22
Edited by B1ack86v3tt3 on 2008/5/19 5:29:53
Edited by B1ack86v3tt3 on 2008/5/19 5:31:02

bogus Re: Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

damn, dude... your myopia really gets old.

Modern diesels are clean, quiet and do not smoke.

The 2009 diesel Vette was an april fools joke, but the idea of a modern diesel is facinating.

Think about this: Pimp my Ride did a 1965 Chevy Impala. It was a wreck. When they did it, they had CA state bio-fuel support. The car was powered by a 6.5 litre Duramax turbo Diesel, an Allison 4spd OD automatic and some minor boost and fuel delivery mods. The end result? over 800 hp and 1000 lb-ft of torque. The car is faster than a Lambo in the 1/4 mile and it still gets 24mpg, highway.

The strength of a diesel is torque and economy.

Check out this race car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChGGWY_CwO0

It's call the Audi R10 and it's diesel powered. And is so quiet, that during the race, you cannot hear it over the other race cars, including the Corvette C6.R.
Posted on: 2008/5/19 4:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The 2009 diesel Vette was an april fools joke, but the idea of a modern diesel is facinating.

Think about this: Pimp my Ride did a 1965 Chevy Impala. It was a wreck. When they did it, they had CA state bio-fuel support. The car was powered by a 6.5 litre Duramax turbo Diesel, an Allison 4spd OD automatic and some minor boost and fuel delivery mods. The end result? over 800 hp and 1000 lb-ft of torque. The car is faster than a Lambo in the 1/4 mile and it still gets 24mpg, highway.

Check out this race car:

It's call the Audi R10 and it's diesel powered. And is so quiet, that during the race, you cannot hear it over the other race cars, including the Corvette C6.R.

Im lost for words...how do diesels not smoke? Are we even talking about the same thing? Apparently not. I would also like to add, I was not being argumenative, just stating my opinion on diesels. I also looked up your word and...im lost. But anyway I was not even talking about a car.

Myopia (from Greek: μυωπία myopia "near-sightedness"[1]), also called near- or short-sightedness, is a refractive defect of the eye in which collimated light produces image focus in front of the retina when accommodation is relaxed.

Those with myopia see nearby objects clearly but distant objects appear blurred. With myopia, the eyeball is too long, or the cornea is too steep, so images are focused in the vitreous inside the eye rather than on the retina at the back of the eye. The opposite defect of myopia is hyperopia or "farsightedness" or "long-sightedness" — this is where the cornea is too flat or the eye is too short.
Posted on: 2008/5/19 5:20

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Common rail diesels dont blow smoke like the previous systems did.
Posted on: 2008/5/19 6:50

CentralCoaster Re: Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

New diesels don't smoke if they're running in tune. Europe is putting out assloads of small diesel cars now.
Posted on: 2008/5/19 7:30

bogus Re: Talk of a Diesel C6??? Could it be??
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Check out this race car:

Im lost for words...how do diesels not smoke? Are we even talking about the same thing? Apparently not. I would also like to add, I was not being argumenative, just stating my opinion on diesels. I also looked up your word and...im lost. But anyway I was not even talking about a car.

Myopia (from Greek: μυωπία myopia "near-sightedness"[1]), also called near- or short-sightedness, is a refractive defect of the eye in which collimated light produces image focus in front of the retina when accommodation is relaxed.

Those with myopia see nearby objects clearly but distant objects appear blurred. With myopia, the eyeball is too long, or the cornea is too steep, so images are focused in the vitreous inside the eye rather than on the retina at the back of the eye. The opposite defect of myopia is hyperopia or "farsightedness" or "long-sightedness" — this is where the cornea is too flat or the eye is too short.

dude... you live in a world of absolute literals. Take that definition and look a little deeper.

As for diesels, they have seriously improved the injection methods. The common rail systems use ultra-high pressure to deliver the fuel - try 17k PSI and up! They will spit a small shot of fuel just prior to ignition. That prelights the fire, then in comes the bigger shot. That concept kills the noise of a diesel.

The smoke is helped a lot by that system, as is a much more modern exhaust. It has a particulate trap that catches the soot. That trap is then burned off from time to time to keep it from overloading. This is literally a filter.

Finally, to keep them emissions clear, the various makers are now starting to include a urea injection system. It shoots a shot of what is essentially cow piss into the exhaust manifold! The urea interacts with the exhaust gasses, neutralizing the NOx emissions. It isn't used all the time, only under load and when needed. A tank of urea is expected to last well over 10k miles. And the refill isn't expensive (I hear numbers of around $20.00).

These tricks are only for cars. Light trucks are exempt from much of this yet. But what has taken so long for these techs to get here is the fuel. Up until recently, our diesel fuel was messy with lots of sulfer, the new stuff we are currently using is now low sulfer. I don't remember the numbers, but it went from like 500 parts per million to less than 5!
Posted on: 2008/5/19 14:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.