Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
302 user(s) are online (265 user(s) are browsing Forums)

GRIS, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

josephf31 Next problem -- power seats stopped working & circuit breaker gets hot
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Well, just about done putting my interior back together, was testing the passenger side power seat switch, when suddenly both power seat controls stopped working, and got a faint whiff of that awful electrical burning smell, so I quickly disconnected the battery.

After some checking, the WDO circuit breaker in the fuse box was too hot to even touch -- I waited a good half hour or so for everything to cool down, swapped out the circuit breaker with another one, and...still no power seats, and the "replacement" circuit breaker again got very very hot.

I have the battery unhooked now for safety, question is what could have gone wrong? I did notice the diode on the bottom of the power seat switch control appeared to be toasted when I was putting it back together, but to my understanding the diode is not essential for the operation of the seats...???

Any ideas/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks again! I have the standard seats not the sports seats BTW

Joe
1991 L98 auto
Posted on: 2008/7/21 20:21

Matatk Re: Next problem -- power seats stopped working & circuit breaker gets hot
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I don't know much about these, but did you pinch a wire when you bolted the seats down?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/21 23:05

CentralCoaster Re: Next problem -- power seats stopped working & circuit breaker gets hot
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Does the drivers seat work okay with a new fuse?

It surprises me the seat can overdraw the circuit like that. This stuff usually uses current limiting switches to kill the motor during normal use when it reaches the end of its travel.

I'd pull the passenger seat out and see if the motor is getting power there. Otherwise may be a short at the switch itself. Anything you messed with is a more likely culprit of course.
Posted on: 2008/7/22 1:21

josephf31 Re: Next problem -- power seats stopped working & circuit breaker gets hot
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Well, I am pretty sure I found the problem -- disconnected the power connector to the window switch in the console; now how to fix it?

In the power connector for the power seat switch on the console (standard seats not sport and no FX3) there *was* (key word) a diode across 2 terminals -- the diode is no longer there, from either an overheat situation or a short to the (always) hot orange wire.

I can patch up the wiring easy enough, the question is, do I really need to replace the diode? What does it do, exactly, and what are the specs for it? (can't find them in the FSM).

Lastly, if I can leave it out should I snip off the bare wire ends of what is left of the diode or are they harmless?

Appreciate the help all, thanks!

Joe

1991 L98 auto
Posted on: 2008/7/23 2:11

CentralCoaster Re: Next problem -- power seats stopped working & circuit breaker gets hot
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

We'd need to see the Helm manual.

You sure it's a diode? I only ask because you called the fuse a circuit-breaker.
Posted on: 2008/7/23 9:16

josephf31 Re: Next problem -- power seats stopped working & circuit breaker gets hot
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

It is a diode according to the FSM -- and it's not a fuse it is a 30A circuit breaker, just not the WDO one, it's the Power Accessory circuit breaker...checked the electrical FSM and that's what it says..."diode taped in harness" (well not anymore LOL) thanks.
Posted on: 2008/7/23 15:40

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Diodes are used to isolate circuits and prevent power from flowing backwards into other circuits.

I'm not sure why it would melt, but if it's there, it probably can't work without it.
Posted on: 2008/7/23 23:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.