Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
257 user(s) are online (186 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Driver Information Center
Also known as the DIC.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It's above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Flashman 87 vette, front brakes air locked wont bleed
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I just replaced the front brakes on my wifes 87 today. I used a c clamp to close the piston on the caliper. The pedal was to the floor and the brake light is on. I tried to bleed the brakes and I can get the fluid to flow to the front calipers. It seems like the master cylinder is air locked and I cant get a pedal. Single reservoir on master cylinder and its overfull. Do I have to reset the ABS system or something. I have done brake jobs all my life and never had this problem. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/8/10 4:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 87 vette, front brakes air locked wont bleed
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

don't worry about the ABS... it's more than likely in the master.

I would remove the lines on the master and see if that releases it. Also, you might want to remove the master completely and re-bench bleed it.
Posted on: 2008/8/10 4:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Flashman Re: 87 vette, front brakes air locked wont bleed
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

I just read on another corvette forum that all the calipers have check valves in the bleeders and the check valves get stuck and you cant bleed them. Is that true? I also had a hard time bleeding the brakes on my 86. I could not get the pedal to go all the way down, when I opened the bleeder and very little brake fluid came out. Check this out.

this happened to me with my 86 vette, the problem is your bleeder screws, they have small check valves in them. Mine had gotten stuck, so it only bleed like just a little when i pumped them up. Replace them, and that will fix the problem.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Joe-Flash
Posted on: 2008/8/10 4:58

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

ok... the factory bleeders do NOT have check valves in them, only the trick speed bleeders do. The stock bleeders have holes... nothing fancy.

if you think the problem is that bad, remove the bleeders completely... see what happens.
Posted on: 2008/8/10 5:02

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Bogus,
This car is all original so there is no check valves. The brakes were working fine until I replaced the front brakes and clamped the caliper pistons. I have all day tomorrow to fix it. I will check out the master cylinder. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for your help.

Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/10 5:18

Notorious Re: 87 vette, front brakes air locked wont bleed
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Did you open the bleeders before pushing the pistons back? This should always be done to prevent such problems that appear to have happened to you. I also flush the system if needed too (and it usually does) before even pushing the pistons back. I'd try Andy's suggestion of bench bleeding the M/C and go from there.

Check valves in factory bleeders, indeed. That's the kind of bullshit advice that predominates over there anymore. And I wouldn't have a set of those speed-bleeders in my car either.
Posted on: 2008/8/10 5:46

Matatk Re: 87 vette, front brakes air locked wont bleed
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Are you trying a gravity bleed only or do you have a bleeder pump? I use a cheapie one from harbor freight that works great.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/8/10 16:27

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I guess I screwed up the master cylinder. I did not open the bleeders before I pushed in the Front pistons. I pulled off the master cylinder and bench bleeded it. Rear pushes fluid, front will not. The old fluid was very nasty. I flushed the system with new fluid. I need a new master cylinder. Although I would like to rebuild it myself but I cant find a master cylinder rebuild kit for it. I need to do my 86 master cylinder too. Do they still make a rebuild kit for these master cylinders?

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/8/10 18:14

Notorious Re: 87 vette, front brakes air locked wont bleed
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

If you think it's toast, get a brand new one. Rebuilding or rebuilt M/Cs are a crap shoot at best.
Posted on: 2008/8/10 18:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's iffy, but I have had succcess. The M/C on my 92 is a rebuilt from Advance Auto, and has been there since 10/2002.

Not a problem.

There are no rebuild kits for them... at least nothing I am aware of. I suspect that the firms have lost interest in them due to the fact that most people don't rebuild this stuff themselves anymore.
Posted on: 2008/8/10 18:28

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hey Bogus,How many miles have you put on that rebuilt from advance auto? Did it come with a resevoir? I can get a rebuilt from Advance auto for 65.00, a new bendix for 138.00 or a brand new ac delco with resevior from the GM partladi on ebay for 144.00. I purchased many parts from her and she has all ac delco corvette parts.

Joe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-87- ... emZ160269784754QQtcZphoto
Posted on: 2008/8/10 18:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am familier with the partsladi... and have heard some unpleasant stories about parts that were reboxed ACDelco... Check with Central Coaster on that one.

Miles? Gee... Lots... about 100k?
Posted on: 2008/8/10 18:40

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Bogus,

Well, now that you say that, My new ac compressor seems to be dragging. It makes a noise when I turn the ac on or off. Sounds like a squeal. Looks like minimal clearance on the clutch. I just noticed it today. Im gonna be pissed if I have to return that compressor. I will buy the rebuilt for the 87. There are not many parts to replace in a master cylinder. I have dumped so much money into these Corvettes. I cant buy everything new all the time. Thanks for the info.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/8/10 23:40

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Are you trying a gravity bleed only or do you have a bleeder pump? I use a cheapie one from harbor freight that works great.

Matthew

Hi Matatk,

I made my own self bleeder. I used a plastic water bottle with a hole at the top and a vacuum hose thru it. I cant depend on anyone to push the pedal down for me. I do it all myself.

Joe-Flash
Posted on: 2008/8/10 23:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.