Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
223 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

joeld ECM Driver Bad?
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

This is my ongoing battle with a code 36-MAF Burn-off-. Been screwing with this for a long time now,but I will win. I have the FSM and have followed the procedure exactly several times. I always get to the last box,which is faulty ECM or connections.
I have looked at all connections at MAF and relays at least a dozen times, they all look good. Changed both relays several times. In other words I have done all of the usuall checking and re-checking.
Now, it seems to me that the test procedure outlined in the FSM does in fact verify all circuits and relay function under the hood. But it does not verify that the ECM does in fact ground the circuit 900. And this is how voltage is applied to the burn-off relay, then to the MAF. I want to check this by inserting a back-probe "needle" in this circuit 900 on the burn-off relay. I will have a continuity checker or a DVM set up with one end already connected to a good chassis ground. I'll have a helper in the car, and when ignition is turned off I'll instantly touch the "probe". If infact my ECM does what it should this circuit should then be grounded for 10-15 seconds for the burn-off cycle. Anybody see a problem with having this external monitor to check for ground? It should show a ground? ANY thoughts on this would be welcome, good or bad. Thanks for reading this long dry post.

1989 L98

Joel
Posted on: 2008/8/21 21:05

Schrade Re: ECM Driver Bad?
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Posted on: 2008/8/21 21:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: ECM Driver Bad?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The FSM flow chart also doesn't do a damn bit of good if your problem is intermittent. It might work during the test, but fail during driving from heat, vibration, etc. ECM is usually the least likely culprit, its very well protected.

I don't see a problem with checking for ground on the ECM with a multimeter. I'm surprised the book didn't tell you to.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 21:51

joeld Re: ECM Driver Bad?
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Yea CC, I would have thought FSM would have had it also. I'm not going to check at the ECM, I was planning on checking at the relay. Just a lot easier to get to. Should be same. I just didn't want to see a puff of white under the IP. I'll try this in a few days. Thanks,and problem is
intermittent but frequent.
Hey Blade, thanks but that info really doesn't apply to what I'm trying to check.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/8/21 22:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.