Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
328 user(s) are online (277 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Hensen 1981 Lock up torque converter
Guru Newb
31 Posts

Where do I find the info on how to install a switch and hotwire the system to manually use the converter lock up on my 1981 Vette.
CCC has been removed. Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/8/23 16:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 1981 Lock up torque converter
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

CCC... neat idea... bad implementation.

It should be rather straight forward. I can't believe there are more than a few wires going into that transmission.

If nothing else, the Helm Factory Service Manual should have what you need.

I will warn you, though, the FSM from those days might be a bit of a kluge. Gordon Killebrew himself said that they started with the FSM from 1968 and just added crap to it. Sometime in about 1980 or 81, they actually re-wrote it to better integrate the additional electronics. I THINK 1981 is ok.

I wish I knew the wiring schematics...
Posted on: 2008/8/23 16:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

aapple Re: 1981 Lock up torque converter
Guru Newb
Duncanville, Texas
17 Posts

You would need to cut the tan/black stripe wire going to the "D" terminal of the trans connector. Then put your switch in this circuit. This is the ground side of the circuit, which is controlled by the ECM. You would need to ground the side of the switch going away from the trans, or, in other words, on the ECM side. Chances are, your "Check Eng" light is going to shine if you command LU on when the ECM thinks it shouldn't be on, but it should be fine if you dis-able the LU until a later time/speed.
Inside the trans is a pressure switch, and depending on the rating of the switch, the trans may or may not have LU until the switch closes, regardless of your on/off switch position. The pressure switches come in many different ratings, corresponding to vehicle/governor speed. Most factory switches are rated somewhere around 38psi/mph, meaning the switch will close at 38mph, allowing LU to function. Changing the pressure switch to a higher PSI rating will raise the speed at which lock-up occurs. I prefer a 58psi switch for most applications, but, with fuel prices the way they are now, a lower rating might be good...
hth

(I'm attempting to load a graphic that shows a basic 350 LU circuit...hope it works.) Resized Image

Attach file:

jpg  350C.JPG (20.88 KB)
1568_48bbf9e91872f.jpg 576X229 px
Posted on: 2008/9/1 14:28
C3VR

Hensen Re: 1981 Lock up torque converter
Guru Newb
31 Posts

Many thanks - will do the work pretty soon.
Posted on: 2008/9/19 19:34

CentralCoaster Re: 1981 Lock up torque converter
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Why not just use a vacuum switch? It seems like you'd be hitting that switch back and forth all the live long day.

With it on, you may find the converter locking up unexpectedly as soon as you hit that speed (depending on your pressure switch), and making the car lug and sputter bigtime.

I used p/n GM 14014519 for the vacuum switch, and 12101914 for the connector. If you wire this inline with your brake cancel switch, and run it to a ported vacuum source, it will unlock the converter under heavy throttle, and also during coasting.

Otherwise, you pretty much always want the TCC locked up in 4th (or 3rd for a th350). But that part is done within the transmission, and I don't know exactly what pressure switches and wiring setup is needed for that.
Posted on: 2008/9/20 0:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.