Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (194 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

apeacefulstorm climate control/fan
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

I think mine is dying or dead..... I can still change the temperature but it doesn't sound like the fan is working... are those the usual symptoms?
Posted on: 2008/12/23 19:19

Matatk Re: climate control/fan
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

What year vette? I'm assuming you have the C68 (electronic climate control). Sometimes fan not working w/head unit can indicate a dirty or bad head unit or a faulty blower motor module (in engine compartment). I was having problems with mine not changing speed. I took the head unit out and cleaned it, it helped a little bit. It still intermittently doesn't change properly, but works when you tinker with it. I also did the FSM diagnostic testing which indicated the head unit was faulty.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/23 19:36

bogus Re: climate control/fan
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the fan is easy to replace, but if it isn't working, and gave no warning, consider the module under the hood.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 20:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

apeacefulstorm Re: climate control/fan
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

thanks for the feedback... I have a 93.... the display works, in that I can change the temp readout and the fan speed.... just no fan... I think the fan is shot... I believe a week or so ago I smelled a faint burnt metallic smell, which probably was the fan going south since I have not smelled that smell since....
Posted on: 2008/12/25 1:08

joeld Re: climate control/fan
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I know exactly the smell you are talking about! Last Friday I started smelling a "burnt wire" type of odor coming thru the vents. My first thought was that a rodent or some varmit had chewed thru a wire. Everything was working fine so I dismissed that first panic thought. I pulled out the blower motor and after one good sniff, I knew that was it. Only thing odd about mine was the fan worked fine, with no noise. But regardless it was bad.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/25 1:53

apeacefulstorm Re: climate control/fan
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
I know exactly the smell you are talking about! Last Friday I started smelling a "burnt wire" type of odor coming thru the vents. My first thought was that a rodent or some varmit had chewed thru a wire. Everything was working fine so I dismissed that first panic thought. I pulled out the blower motor and after one good sniff, I knew that was it. Only thing odd about mine was the fan worked fine, with no noise. But regardless it was bad.

Joel

was it easy to replace?
Posted on: 2008/12/25 14:25

joeld Re: climate control/fan
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Yes,it is fairly easy to replace. On my 89 there are 5 or 6 7mm screws that hold the blower motor to the case and one electrical connection. I removed the 5 torx screws from the rear of the fender liner where it attaches to the lower fender. I also removed 3 of the 13mm bolts from the fender liner at the rear. This allowed the liner to move foward slightly, just enough to clear the blower fan from the case when plulling it out. I even bought a new motor from Auto Zone for about 32$, I usually don't buy from these "box" stores but with a Lifetime Warranty I'll try it.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/25 17:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.