Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
302 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

95Vert Now for the Speakers and what to drive them...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Well, I'm learning all about the Bose system and what to junk...all of it. The console is out so the next logical step is a new headunit and new wiring that I cn lead at this time under the console and carpeting...right?

But, I'm also needing new speakers to match the Eclipse head unit I'm thinking of. After reading the audio FAQ, do I put a tweeter and midrange in the front like the factory had it or some other size...do I install 6.5" speakers in the rear?

After all that, what type of speakers? Eclipse? JL Audio to match an amp I saw recommended in another thread? Do I need a sub? Room is an issue...where do I put this stuff.

Please give me some help here remembering the size constraints and the type of speakers that I'll be buying...do I need to be concerned about matching the head unit with this stuff?

Ralf
Posted on: 2009/5/7 3:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Now for the Speakers and what to drive them...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

well... to be honest... I don't like head unit amps. They just don't have a lot of balls.

A nice 2 channel to drive the front stage is all you would really need. I would then do some kinda rear sub thing...

Do me a favour, Ralf, can you take a pic of the rear area? I can't visualize the vert.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 5:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Now for the Speakers and what to drive them...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Depends on your musical interests, ability, budget.

I don't think a sub is necessary for *most* guys. Do you like loud music? Do you care about bass response? Not saying that it has to be loud, but if you don't want or like that, why install it? What type of music do you like?

As far as brands, there are many good ones out there. I personally am a fan of Polk Audio. Good quality vs price. Also good are JLs, MB Quarts, etc.

I would recommend an amp. I personally have a cheap sony 4 channel amp that runs my system. Works great. I do not have a sub, but I have polk components in the back (because I can get away with 6x9s there) and a set of cheap pioneers in the front that I will be changing shortly.

Decisions, decisions!

Tell us a little more and we might be able to lead you in a better direction.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 13:05

95Vert Re: Now for the Speakers and what to drive them...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'll try and post a picture up this weekend as I'm not home right now.

New seattracks going in and wiring for the sport seat switch so this is why the interior is all apart for the wiring. That wiring will come from Metrax(?) from that link that has been posted to a Houston install shop. Very good to talk to.

No head unit amp. I'm going to put that Alpine in the older RX7 TII. Do I need a 4 or 2 channel amp? Where does it install?

OK, the speaker question...I don't need to go high budget...its a car, not a music hall or a music room but it is a convertible...wind noise. I play mainly rock and roll, Dire Straits, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd if that gives an idea. I really don't want to go high dollar on this since I don't think I need it and I still have other projects to work on.

So what I'm looking for is size of speaker, back is 6x9? What about the front...they have a tweeter and midrange in the floor from what I read. JL, Polk and Eclipse is what I've been looking at. Do the two speakers in the front fit in the same box that now contains the Bose speakers?
Posted on: 2009/5/7 15:09

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I'm not sure on the convertibles about the rear. According to Andy's previous posts, you can fit some 6.5 components up front with a little modification. That's what I would do. I'd run a 4 channel amp, personally. I don't think you need a sub, but YMMV. Plus you would lose some valuable trunk space installing one. If you want some bass I believe you can install some 8" subs in the stock locations. That with the components up front should be enough.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/7 18:25

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

OK, can do.
Here's another one...do I need an amp? I don't think I would want too many components back there as there's very little room in the convertible as it is.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 22:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

In short: yes.

If you are running components it's basically required for good sound. Components will need a lot more rms power than a basic head unit can provide. Amps don't take up much space, most are about 1 1/2 inches thick.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/7 22:49

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

OK, good to go no the amps, wiring and I have an understanding, somewhat rudimentary on the speakers.

What are some suggested specifications on the amp. It gets very confusing...please.

Ralf
Posted on: 2009/5/7 23:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.