Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
186 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

captmike13, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird 84 z51 air con
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

no air again this spring...gauge sez low (fergit nos.) dumped in a can a freon sealer filled proper n comp. came on fine,,,but was warm air until drove it then cooled,,,but noticed my fan dint come on...shouldnt cooling fan run evo time turn air on?
Posted on: 2009/5/12 12:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 84 z51 air con
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the fan is controlled by pressure.

if there isn't enough freon pressure, then lord knows what will happen.

If you want my opinion, find a good AC shop, let them purge it, vacuum it out, and refill with one of the modern coolants. They are not as good as R12, but it sounds to me like you have issues there and short of driving it to Mexico, you don't have many options...
Posted on: 2009/5/12 14:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pappyfreebird Re: 84 z51 air con
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

shes been purged of 12 n had 134 in it hook ups too,,,seals etc no clue ,,was that way when scarfed it..last year had it all checked n werkin good,,but failed by end of summer (4 months) id added nuthar can n she be good,,,now this spring leaked again,,,so much fer no leaks,,cant see any dye myself either so ,i pumped in can a freon sealer guague read full..mebee still lil shy thou...
Posted on: 2009/5/12 14:53

Matatk Re: 84 z51 air con
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I by no means claim to be an a/c expert, my neighbor helped me with mine. But when we filled it, the pressure was too low to cycle the system and we had to jumper the pressure switch with a piece of wire to get it balance the pressure to/from the high/low side. Sounds like yours may be a similar issue. Also sounds like you have a leak somewhere you need to track down.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/13 0:53

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

compressor runs now after addin a can,,,but sez full on elcheapo gauge,,n is cold...but cycles n fan doesnt turn on right off,,but it do turn on ifn run abit n nawt fum heat she ony at 195 like purty nermally is..read here that cyclin is a gm thing,,,but cant say ive seen that ,,they ususlly run the entire time ol ones n newer...af fer as the leak yeup gonna hafta try harder ta find it
Posted on: 2009/5/13 11:29

Midnight85 Re: 84 z51 air con
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Pappy, with a leak that small, the only way you are going to find it is to have a professional shop inject an ultraviolet dye in the system, run it, and check the whole system with an ultraviolet light. The leaking area will glow under the light.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 13:42

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

yea i had the tech class do it last spring...do know it had die in it ,,,how they looked i ain sure,,,posed ta have top equipment,,but learners usin it...its one a them pay someone things i rekon,,when i tire of it.. thanks ..ill post it ifn evo figure it out
Posted on: 2009/5/13 17:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.