Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
330 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Hello,

I seem to be in a little bit of a jamb. Took on this project and underestimated it big time. I am installing a Pioneer Avic-F900BT head unit with accessories in my 2005 Corvette Z51 Non-Bose, Non-Onstar Car. I am running into problem after problem. Worse yet is I need this car for work right now!

Here is what is on the installation list..

Pioneer Avic-F900BT Head Unit,
Microphone (Bluetooth)
Sirius Radio
HD Radio

If anyone can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it.......

1. What Power Source do I use to power the Sirius Radio Boxes? I would like to pull sometime fused off the fuse box, preferably something that is not being used already if that's even a possibility with this car.
2. Sirius Says they want there box connected to constant +. I am concerned that it will drain the battery. Should I connect it to a constant + or to a switched +?
3. I am having a HUGE Problem with background static AS SOON AS THE RADIO TURNS ON... before anything begins to play. What the heck is that caused by, and how do I fix it?
4. I have correctly working HD Radio, but I have no AM and no Non-HD FM? (HD radio calls for the car antenna to be connected to there box, and then there box gets connected to my head unit.)
5. How do I pair bluetooth?
6. The Navigation on the AVIC-F900BT calls for a Pink wire connected to the "Vehicle Injection Computer" which can obtain a Car Speed Signal Output for its Mobile Navigation to work correctly??????? WHAT THE HECK?
7. The Avic also calls for a wire to be connected to the "reverse gear selector" so it can tell if the vehicle is moving forwards or backwards. I have a Manual,... where would this wire be?

Thanks guys,
Dan
Posted on: 2009/5/22 2:02
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will try....

First off, doesn't Scoshe or Metra make a harness? If you had an interface harness, 90% of your troubles would be over.

1 & 2. The Sirius needs constant power, it's more or less memory power. The databus is what switches it on/off.

3. I am betting you have a ground problem. It may also be a faulty radio.

4. That is odd... I don't have knowledge of the head to answer that one.

5. No clue. The manual for the radio should give you that.

6. It is looking for the VSS signal. I have no idea where that is on the C6. You mention a manual, if you don't have the Helm Factory Service Manual - GET IT!!!!

7. See 6.

Moved this to Audio.
Posted on: 2009/5/22 3:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Dan - as far as the power source you can do one of a few things: 1) run a new power wire off the battery and through the firewall 2) use a fuse tap off a hot wire in the fuse box 3) find a hot wire that is a constant power (ie, cigarette lighter, etc) 4) tap into the main power wire for the head unit.

For the background static I'd say that you have either a grounding problem (#1 cause - ie, bad ground) or you have some speaker wires touching. Did you solder, crimp, twist, etc - what method did you use?

As far as the HD radio only working, you're not getting a signal for regular stations so the head unit isn't picking it up. Did you try hooking the antenna directly to the head unit? What happens then? I'm wondering if a couple wires are backwards or not hooked up properly.

As far as pairing the bluetooth, it's a function of the headunit, you'll have to go through the menus/owners manual and use the "find device" type feature of the radio.

I would need to see a FSM for the other two - perhaps you can google it.

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/23 0:27

BillH Re: Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Dan, I wonder if your navagation unit will work OK without the speed & rev. inputs. My Garmin's speedometer exactly matches the dash speedo on my C4 without being hooked to anything.
Just a thought.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 13:36

klkordzi Re: Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

When you say background static when the radio turns on, is this when you have the sirius connected or all the time? If your talking about the sirius only, it is hunting for a signal. My sirius radio in my daily driver does the same thing as it powers up and finds the signal.
Posted on: 2009/6/7 1:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Update???
Posted on: 2009/6/10 3:26

Danspeed1 Re: Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Ok,

I took a break from this project because of the damaged Monte Carlo, the Impala being sold, and the bike being restored; I seem to have bit off more than I can chew once more.

The unit is installed, if I remember tomorrow I will post a picture. It looks ridiculously cool. I ironed out all the lack of power and ground issues by using a ground behind the dash, and using the "spare" fuse AKA exhaust fuse for my power wires. The HD radio works, I figured out how to get the AM/FM working, Sirius is awesome and the antenna's are stored under the rear spoiler. Reception is about 90% with her losing reception about 10% of the time, which I can deal with considering the car is made out of plastic and the antenna is covered by plastic. The static is still there. I found an error in the GMCO directions... I should have never cut the RCA's off. I am going to buy a New GMCO, probably as soon as I finish writing this (I forgot till you reminded me), and then maybe in a week or two when things settle down I will install it; hopefully the static will be gone. There will still be static from the amp but I am told there is no fix for this, and I think it was there at times when the stock stereo was in. Only problems I am still faced with are 1. The static, and 2. I don't know why but I have absolutely no antenna signal and thus no Navigation whatsoever, and I would agree my antenna is poorly mounted, but so is my Sirius antenna and I get perfect sirius about 90% of the time. Anybody who knows this unit care to take a crack at that one?

Dan
Posted on: 2009/6/10 4:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Danspeed1 Re: Need HELP Installing my Pioneer Avic-F900BT!!!! ASAP
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Ok, pictures as promised....

This is it installed (never realized how dusty it was till I took the pics... sorry)
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/MotorcycleGasTank003.jpg[/IMG]
This is it booting up (very cool)
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/MotorcycleGasTank004.jpg[/IMG]
This is Sirius (60's on 6, loud and clear! )
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/MotorcycleGasTank006.jpg[/IMG]
Dan
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:14
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This is why I really don't like integrating with factory components.

If it was me, I would get a nice 2 channel amp and install a pair of 3-way components in the front doors. Then get a nice mono amp and install a good sub in the back.

Ohterwise, the install looks BITCH'N!!! I mean hot! You should be VERY proud of that install. Awesome!!!
Posted on: 2009/6/29 1:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.