Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
287 user(s) are online (239 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C5
Abbreviation for the 5th generation of Corvettes built from 1997-2004....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

dodgedawg need help on shift lever locked in park
Guru Newb
1 Posts

I was told that Petek might be able to give me some help with this one. It is a 1997 with 80,000 miles. Good codition and never have had any mechanical problems other that factory recall problems. The shift lever hav locked before but I had always been able to unlock it by holding the lever down and wiggling it. It has been lock for several days now and the car has nor moved. I am worried about being able to get it out of the carport since the trans is locked by the shifter. I could do the work myself if I knew what to do and how to do it.
Posted on: 2007/4/8 20:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

NC Kid RE:need help on shift lever locked in park
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Glad you found the site. He should see this soon I hope.
Posted on: 2007/4/8 22:08

bogus RE:need help on shift lever locked in park
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

1997? That's a C5... I donno how to help you on that. Considering the advanced chassis and engine controls, I would not be surprised if there was a code for that.
Posted on: 2007/4/8 23:41

PeteK RE:need help on shift lever locked in park
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Because I have no experience with a c5, I could only guess at the problem.
Like a c4, the shifter works a cable that moves the lever on the side of the trans. The lever turns a shaft that rotates a notched cam shaped bracket held by a spring steel lever. 99 times out of 100, the trans is not the problem.
I would unhook the cable from the side of the trans and see if it frees up the shifter. This will allow you to inspect the cable to see if it is binding.
Posted on: 2007/4/9 0:45

Imbigulator RE:need help on shift lever locked in park
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Seems kind of late to answer this but here goes: I would say the solenoid at the bottom of the shift lever is bad. Especially since you said you used to be able to wiggle it until it finally stopped altogether. Only problem is that the unit is sold as the whole upper shift linkage.

When I replaced mine it was about $120. Took about 90 minutes. 30 of that was cleaning all the junk inside the console.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 5:34

CasetheCorvetteman RE:need help on shift lever locked in park
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Seems kind of late to answer this but here goes: I would say the solenoid at the bottom of the shift lever is bad. Especially since you said you used to be able to wiggle it until it finally stopped altogether. Only problem is that the unit is sold as the whole upper shift linkage.

When I replaced mine it was about $120. Took about 90 minutes. 30 of that was cleaning all the junk inside the console.

You beat me to it mate, that is what i was going to sugest, and i reckon itll be the brake interlock solenoid or something related to that. You cant take it out of park without your foot on the brake, but try turning the key to unlock, and see if it will let you shift out of park without the ignition on. I know on a late C4 you can shift from park without the brake if the ignition is turned off (not if its on lock though, as that locks it in park using a cable from the steering column, which is another item you should check), im not sure if the C5 setup is the same.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 7:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.