Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
361 user(s) are online (310 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious Honda Civic inquiry
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

My neighbor has a '97 Civic with the base engine. It's got a cracked exhaust manifold. It appears to me that the manifold and a cat are made together as one unit. If so, I assume this is an expensive part to buy. Does anyone know if this is the case? I can't see it real well because of a heat shield that encompasses the portion of this part in question. The real problem is, is that we have plug-in emissions testing here for OBD II cars, as this one is. The crack is causing an occasional code to be thrown for the upstream O2. If the code's present or has recently occurred, the car will not pass come test time for her this summer. I just discovered this today while doing some maintenance on the car so we have some time to work with. Hopefully I can find her one that's reasonably priced. She's a divorced mother of modest means, you know how it goes. Any insight on the matter is greatly appreciated.
Posted on: 2007/4/19 2:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Alcee1 RE:Honda Civic inquiry
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

I've seen the same thing in other cars also, but the muffler shop just cut out the cat and either weld in a new one or bolt in a new. I would just see if a muffler shop can weld it first, if not just get another manifold and have it welded in.
Posted on: 2007/4/19 14:30
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

bogus RE:Honda Civic inquiry
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree, check to see if the manifold can be welded.

Another option, depending on where you live, is to find a used part at a salvage yard. The only risk here, the EPA makes selling used cats illegal. Odd, isn't it?

I donno about "cutting" the cat off. This means someone has to make a manifold.

One last option would be an aftermarket header. Never know... could fix the problem and add 50 hp!
Posted on: 2007/4/20 5:20

Notorious RE:Honda Civic inquiry
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
I agree, check to see if the manifold can be welded.

Another option, depending on where you live, is to find a used part at a salvage yard. The only risk here, the EPA makes selling used cats illegal. Odd, isn't it?

I donno about "cutting" the cat off. This means someone has to make a manifold.

One last option would be an aftermarket header. Never know... could fix the problem and add 50 hp!

I've had cast welded successfully before. For many cases and in competent hands it can work well. Only thing is, I once lit off a cat while heating at a slip-fit joint to separate it from the header. (It was pretty cool, actually! ) And cast has to be pre-heated before you can weld it.
I've got a friend who owns a junkyard so if he had a used one, I'm sure he'd let me get it.
I thought about a header too. Just what this 10 year old POS needs! If it's cheap enough though, that and a cheap cat might get it done.
Posted on: 2007/4/23 19:13

red_johnny RE:Honda Civic inquiry
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well if you got the tools and know how I say go for it. I like your avatar!
Posted on: 2007/4/24 14:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.