Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

92Polo New brakes on the way!
Guru
91 Posts

My poor car is one of the unlucky ones that was built without the heavy duty braking option. Unfortunately this means the brakes fairly well = crap. Yeah I guess technically they are OK for street use but I wanted something a little bit more. Something about spending lots of money making it go faster but none on making it stop better just seems somewhat irresponsible, but I'm on a tight budget.

I found a guy who had upgraded to C5 brakes from the J55's and was willing to sell his calipers and brackets at a reasonable price. I also found some brand new cross drilled and slotted rotors online for a great price. I'll forgo posting where / what brand until I receive them and figure out if they are any good or not, but for the price I had to try them!

I can't wait for the parts to get here. I'll be sure to post pictures / comparisons. I know it's not going to win any awards for best brake upgrade ever, but it will certainly be an improvement and I can't argue with the price!
Posted on: 2012/4/17 20:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: New brakes on the way!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I did about the same thing last year, but I had the GS upgrade group buy that Jeff Kopp did from Superior some 10 years ago!

I used Powerstop slotted rotors, cryo treated, and Hawk HP+ pads. Breath on the damned pedal and it stops like no ones business.
Posted on: 2012/4/17 21:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

92Polo Re: New brakes on the way!
Guru
91 Posts

I've always wanted a brake upgrade but couldn't really justify it. I took it out and really stood on the brakes the other day though and was stunned to find that it only chirped the ABS for a split second on one tire and that was it. On my old tires it would have been pulsing all the way. Before my tires were the weakest link and more braking force would have been useless. Moving from Kumho to Michelin has turned the brakes into the weakest link. Whoever would have figured?
Posted on: 2012/4/17 21:56

BillH Re: New brakes on the way!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

We've had some good threads lately on Hawk HPS and HP+ pads.

And descriptions of proper bedding in the new pads, one of the most important thing to do.
Posted on: 2012/4/17 22:08

Guru
91 Posts

I have virtually new Performance Friction Z-Rated pads. I've had good luck with them in the past so I'll use them for starters.

I am actually really interested in CarboTech, seems like a rather new comer, or at least new to me, but they have a good website with several choices.
Posted on: 2012/4/17 22:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

92Polo wrote:
I have virtually new Performance Friction Z-Rated pads. I've had good luck with them in the past so I'll use them for starters.

I am actually really interested in CarboTech, seems like a rather new comer, or at least new to me, but they have a good website with several choices.

Yea, I'm interested in trying Carbo next maybe.
I'll be on the racetrack on Saturday.

Now, that I know who you are, you probably already know the bedding procedure.
Posted on: 2012/4/17 22:17

Guru
91 Posts

Quote:

Now, that I know who you are, you probably already know the bedding procedure.

I am familiar with several, but it never hurts to read more. The day I think I have nothing left to learn is the day I'm in big trouble.
Posted on: 2012/4/17 23:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

92Polo wrote:

I am familiar with several, but it never hurts to read more. The day I think I have nothing left to learn is the day I'm in big trouble.

Yea, a good day is a day that you learn something new.

Most of the performamce manufacturer's bedding instructions are good.

We had a decent discussion the other month despite my dislike of C4/5 calipers.

http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... id=189713#forumpost189713

And Andy had a post on the Wilwood kit recently.
Posted on: 2012/4/17 23:48

Guru
91 Posts

Yeah the C4 and C5, hell nearly any production car caliper is going to have it's shortcomings. Bean counters get in the way, but I guess if they didn't I wouldn't be able to afford to buy the car.

I'd love a Wilwood kit but it's all about the $$. For now it'll just have to go on the "one of these days" list, along with my turbocharged stroker motor.
Posted on: 2012/4/18 1:09

Matatk Re: New brakes on the way!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

One of our members posted this not too long ago:

http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... e=&topic_id=16738&forum=1

Brakemotive is the vendor.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/4/18 12:28

Guru
91 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Well since somebody guessed it... brakemotive is who I bought them from. I figured for the price I can't not try them. I ordered them yesterday and the shipped from chicago this morning. I will likely have them tomorrow or Friday.
Posted on: 2012/4/18 13:01

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Look forward to hearing your opinion on the upgrade
Posted on: 2012/4/18 15:37

Guru
91 Posts

Well the rotors arrived today, wish I could say the same about my calipers. They LOOK nice, but only time will tell if they are any count or not.

Here are the picture.

Fronts:
Resized Image

Rears:
Resized Image

All:
Resized Image

They are supposed to be zinc plated but I'm afraid it will only be a matter of time before the rotor hats rust. Since my calipers aren't here yet I seem to have plenty of time so I opted to paint the hats black. Here is the first coat drying on one of the front rotors.

Resized Image

I know it's not perfect there are a few spots that didn't get hit, but this is just a first coat.
Posted on: 2012/4/19 16:00

Guru
91 Posts

Rotor hats are dry. Gonna look way better behind the wheel than the factory rotors.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Now if I just had some calipers!
Posted on: 2012/4/19 23:39

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I want your wheels.
Posted on: 2012/4/20 0:37

Guru
91 Posts

They are pretty but they're heavy. Cost me 10hp on the dyno, may screw up your whole track dynamic.
Posted on: 2012/4/20 1:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that's heavy... I have always wanted HRE... but I am poor.
Posted on: 2012/4/20 2:13

Guru
91 Posts

New calipers and brackets arrived today.

Resized Image

Caliper after some paint.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/4/25 15:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

look'n great! I did mine in big bad green...

One thing... even the good high-temp paints are prone to chip right off. You may want to place them in a low heat - 150F - for a couple of hours to bake it on. Did you gut them? or are the pistons still in? Then again, 150F should not effect the pistons considering that stuff hits 400F on the fluid and 1500F on the rotor, what's 150F?

Posted on: 2012/4/25 16:39

Guru
91 Posts

This is the dupli-color brush on caliper paint. Supposedly good to 500 degrees. I used the same thing on my old calipers and it actually held up fairly well to my daily driving. They eventually got a few chipped and scuffed places but for the most part this is the result of me just not being as careful as I should have been when working on it.

More than the scuffs they are just dirty. I need to touch up the rear calipers when I install the new rotors.
Posted on: 2012/4/25 16:58

1Fast04Vert Re: New brakes on the way!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Same thing I did 4 years ago, maybe 5 years. Anyway they still look as good as day one.
Posted on: 2012/4/25 20:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Got ya... I used the spray on engine paint, perhaps that the problem. Mine always get chipped during installation. I don't get that... argh...
Posted on: 2012/4/26 0:14

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Looks good. I used the spray on version and it was a PIA. I'll use the brush on in the future.

Mine have gotten chipped from taking the wheels off and on multiple times.
Posted on: 2012/4/26 3:07

Guru
91 Posts

Fronts are done, painted, installed, and bled.

Resized Image

Touch up paint is drying on the rear calipers. Should be dry enough to re-assemble around 1ish.
Posted on: 2012/4/26 16:00

Guru
91 Posts

Ok, everything has been re-assembled and I took it out for a spin to bed the pads. It's hard to tell a lot during the bedding process. I'll know more after the pads and rotors have completely cooled and I take it out again.

In the mean time I figured I'd get the real camera out and post some hi-res photos instead of the cell phone garbage.

Here is one of my old front rotors, obviously running on borrowed time.
Resized Image

Here is a hi-res of the finished and bedded in rear.
Resized Image

And here is a hi-res before and after on the front.
Resized Image

I ended up just re-using the pads that I already had since they were virtually new. Calipers, brackets, rotors, and paint cost me a grand total of $300. Not too bad for a largely visual upgrade that should just so happen to perform better too. Being a factory option, should I ever need to I can still use my factory wheels or spare.
Posted on: 2012/4/26 18:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Looks REAL good! Very clean and the red pops off the chrome very nicely! Well done!

You make a good point... being that these are factory, they are guarenteed to fit, and will be durable. I spoke with Dave McClellan at Sebring a couple years back, and he is on the board of directors for Mosler Engineering, and his contention is simple: use OEM parts where you can. You know they have been durability tested and meet all the DOT requirements and are easier to source down the road.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 20:20

Guru
91 Posts

Thanks. I'm happy with the upgrade. I really can't tell a huge difference in stopping power, it's just entirely too subjective, but it seems like they would have to help in terms of fade resistance and they certainly look better!

Posted on: 2012/4/26 20:28

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

With the same pad, I doubt you would feel a difference. Change up, you would feel a difference.

It's just nice to know the hardware is in better shape.
Posted on: 2012/4/26 21:17

Guru
91 Posts

Well I was kind of hoping that I would be able to feel the ~8% increase in braking torque just due to the larger rotors. As we know, however, the butt-o-meter is notoriously inaccurate. I did manage to get it to activate the ABS a couple of times yesterday but nothing like it does if you're on a wet road or on ice, which I could do with my old tires all day long. I guess you really do get what you pay for in that regard.

Like you say though it's just nice to know everything is in better shape. I've been running on those cracked rotors for years. They weren't cracked completely through and they didn't vibrate or cause any other problems. I guess I should have replaced them but I just couldn't really justify spending any money on replacing them when I knew that money could go towards an upgrade at some point. The only reason I had recently replaced the rears was because of extreme wear on one due to a bad wheel bearing.

The situation is somewhat like my oil leak. I know I can fix it if I take the engine completely out of the car but if I do that it is NOT going back in as a 350. Since I don't have the money to build a new engine, then it's just gonna leak for the time being.
Posted on: 2012/4/27 13:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

92Polo wrote:
I did manage to get it to activate the ABS a couple of times yesterday but nothing like it does if you're on a wet road or on ice, which I could do with my old tires all day long.

Yea, but the coefficient of friction on a wet road is so different that you could probably lock up a tire by putting your foot against it.

For the $$$ you spent, you got a decent upgrade. When your pads wear out and you get new, you'll be happy.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 15:46

Guru
91 Posts

Which may not take all that long Granted they got more of a workout while bedding than usual, but I can already see dust in the slots.

I guess I'll start saving up for Carbotech.
Posted on: 2012/4/27 15:50

istter1 Re: New brakes on the way!
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I used Powerstop slotted rotors, cryo treated, and Hawk HP+ pads. Breath on the damned pedal and it stops like no ones business.

Quote:

92Polo wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Well since somebody guessed it... brakemotive is who I bought them from. I figured for the price I can't not try them. I ordered them yesterday and the shipped from chicago this morning. I will likely have them tomorrow or Friday.

Went out to install my new Powerstop rotors from brakemotive (hell of a deal) Found out a stud on the wheel spacer on the r rear was stripped. At the same time installing the rear bearing. Don't have the tools at home to fix it myself. Will run it down to the shop tomorrow .

I have the same brakepads as Andy and with 15,000 miles on them they show little ware. They were tight touching the rotors when we installed then. Hardley any whare to date.

Great pads glad I bought them. HP+ pads stop on a dime compared to stock pads. Looks like long life also.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 23:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Went out to install my new Powerstop rotors from brakemotive (hell of a deal) Found out a stud on the wheel spacer on the r rear was stripped. At the same time installing the rear bearing. Don't have the tools at home to fix it myself. Will run it down to the shop tomorrow .

All it takes is a big C-clamp and some sockets.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 23:22

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

istter1 wrote:

All it takes is a big C-clamp and some sockets.

You know how it is when you have kid and they don't return things. My son has my C clamp and he will be back from the beach next weekend.

The nut is seized to the stud and the stud appears to have spun inside the alum spacer.

Called my son and he said it is in the back of his jeep .(at Pismo Beach)
I can borrow a C clamp at the shop

Posted on: 2012/5/14 1:21
Edited by istter1 on 2012/5/14 1:39:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
[quote]
BillH wrote:
[quote]

The nut is seized to the stud and the stud appears to have spun inside the alum spacer.

You didn't say that before, it has to be drilled out.

Spun in the spacer? Or spun in the hub?

The stud can be drilled but it does take a while.
Posted on: 2012/5/14 2:29

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I was a little pissed when I first wrote about it not so clearly. It is just flopping around in the hole. In the old days I would just knocket it off with a hammer but I like my rims.
Posted on: 2012/5/14 2:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
I was a little pissed when I first wrote about it not so clearly. It is just flopping around in the hole. In the old days I would just knocket it off with a hammer but I like my rims.

Agreed, I had this happen. Put 3 layers of duct tape in the hole on the rim in case the drill bit or other tool I put in there slipped. It wasn't a fun job.
Posted on: 2012/5/14 14:07

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

istter1 wrote:

Agreed, I had this happen. Put 3 layers of duct tape in the hole on the rim in case the drill bit or other tool I put in there slipped. It wasn't a fun job.

The gap is wide enough I might be able to use a long sawawl blade in there and cut the bolt. I am assuming th alum spacer is probally tost in that hole.
Posted on: 2012/5/14 18:23

C4Williams Re: New brakes on the way!
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

Thanks for showing those pics, i have the same rotors and same color calipers going on. Ill do the same and share the pics as soon as they are on !
Looks Awesome.
Posted on: 2012/6/1 22:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.