Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

iCorvette what is the stock stall speed on an automatic C4 Vette?
Senior Guru
302 Posts

thanks, and do flex plates wear out?

and are there any benefit to an aftermarket auto shifter over stock?

what is maximum mileage for a 700r4 before it should be consider for a recondition?

what is the most mileage trans that I can have a shift kit installed?

should I install a shift kit anyways? is the stock shifting( I never been in a automatic Vette) kind of weak?
Posted on: 2009/11/8 4:52

383tpimachine Re: what is the stock stall speed on an automatic C4 Vette?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

stall speeds vary

I have an 85 and was told it was one of GMs "experiment" years. SO my stall is 2000-2200

think 86 was also an experiment year.

most have 1400-1600 i believe
Posted on: 2009/11/8 9:06

dan0617 Re: what is the stock stall speed on an automatic C4 Vette?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

If you are talking about an '89, the stall speed is very low, around 1200 to 1400. Earlier years had higher stalls. You would benefit greatly with a 2200 rpm stall converter, or higher if you don't mind living with a high stall slushy feeling for around town low speed driving or going up a driveway, etc. I have a 2800 stall and wouldn't want to go any higher for a car that is driven much. If my car was a daily driver I'd go 2000 to 2200.

I never went to an aftermarket shifter because I set my car up to shift automatically. Some time in recalibrating the governor was time well spent and didn't cost much at all. The stock shifting is kind of weak, and is worse with a high stall converter.

700R4 mileage is totally up in the air. The stock '89 vette trans in my car had just over 100K miles and was holding up to mid 11 sec. 1/4 mile passes on a 2800 stall converter, a B+M shift improver kit, and a tranny cooler. I went with a beefy rebuilt trans when I changed my setup to run mid 10's but it was still going strong when removed. I don't think it would have lasted long at mid 10's but who knows.

If this car is going to be 11's or slower in the 1/4, and not used for autocross or road racing, or is just going to get beat on the street, I'd install a converter and a tranny cooler, and a decent shift kit, (or a TCI constant pressure valvebody), and recalibrate the governor to get it shifting where you want and run it. (or disregard the valvebody and governor if you want to shift manually). That trans might go tomorrow or might last for a long time. The '89 was one of the better stock 700R4's. If it is to be road raced or autocrossed, IMO, it won't survive long with any amount of power put to it. You would likely be best to swap it out now, before failure.
Posted on: 2009/11/9 13:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

iCorvette Re: what is the stock stall speed on an automatic C4 Vette?
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
If you are talking about an '89, the stall speed is very low, around 1200 to 1400. Earlier years had higher stalls. You would benefit greatly with a 2200 rpm stall converter, or higher if you don't mind living with a high stall slushy feeling for around town low speed driving or going up a driveway, etc. I have a 2800 stall and wouldn't want to go any higher for a car that is driven much. If my car was a daily driver I'd go 2000 to 2200.

I never went to an aftermarket shifter because I set my car up to shift automatically. Some time in recalibrating the governor was time well spent and didn't cost much at all. The stock shifting is kind of weak, and is worse with a high stall converter.

700R4 mileage is totally up in the air. The stock '89 vette trans in my car had just over 100K miles and was holding up to mid 11 sec. 1/4 mile passes on a 2800 stall converter, a B+M shift improver kit, and a tranny cooler. I went with a beefy rebuilt trans when I changed my setup to run mid 10's but it was still going strong when removed. I don't think it would have lasted long at mid 10's but who knows.

If this car is going to be 11's or slower in the 1/4, and not used for autocross or road racing, or is just going to get beat on the street, I'd install a converter and a tranny cooler, and a decent shift kit, (or a TCI constant pressure valvebody), and recalibrate the governor to get it shifting where you want and run it. (or disregard the valvebody and governor if you want to shift manually). That trans might go tomorrow or might last for a long time. The '89 was one of the better stock 700R4's. If it is to be road raced or autocrossed, IMO, it won't survive long with any amount of power put to it. You would likely be best to swap it out now, before failure.

Thanks that is a great explanation!
Posted on: 2009/11/10 2:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.