Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
223 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy Installing OS on Laptop *GEEK*
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Okay I need some help from fellow IT minded Gurus.

I have a Compaq Presario V6000. A few weeks ago it died. Wouldn't boot up, nothing. I'm guessing MB went bad.

I bought a cheap V6000 on Ebay that had a cracked screen. I received it, swapped my good screen and my 2 GB worth of RAM into the donor laptop along with my top plate which was in better shape.

I then booted it up using HIS hard drive and it booted up fine. It ran like crap though from years of use with no maintenance or updates or care with programs and such.

I have a spare copy of Windows XP Pro and I am attempting to load it on this compilation laptop onto the drive that actually boots up and is usable.

Once I boot using my Windows CD, it starts the process normally but when I hit enter to install Windows it tells me it can't find a hard drive and to exit setup.

WTF !!!

Okay, so I try my old hard drive. It won't boot up at all so I think maybe it was never my MB at all and it was the HD instead that was the issue. never the less, I try installing the new Windows on IT. Nope...same error.

Okay, so I use a CD with an ISO of a program that wipes hard drives. I wipe the other guy's hard drive...the one that booted up fine. It's wiped and I try installing Windows. Same error.

UGGGG !!!

I dig out a smaller spare HD that was new and wiped and never even used. So now not only does the MB have a fresh set of Windows XP BIOS but it's got an HD that's never been loaded and I've even tried a few different CD/DVD drives.

In no configuration will it load Windows without the error saying Setup can't locate a hard drive.

The computer booted up on the guy's hard drive just fine and moments later it can't find it? W...T...F ???
Posted on: 2009/12/19 4:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

JrRifleCoach Re: Installing OS on Laptop *GEEK*
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

A quick explaination;
You'll need to download an additional driver for the HD. When the windows install gives the F6 option to add additional drivers, point to your USB or have the driver ready on a CD.

A coupla of Google searches will help you with more specific instructions.
Posted on: 2009/12/19 8:21
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Durango_Boy Re: Installing OS on Laptop *GEEK*
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
A quick explaination;
You'll need to download an additional driver for the HD. When the windows install gives the F6 option to add additional drivers, point to your USB or have the driver ready on a CD.

A coupla of Google searches will help you with more specific instructions.

Good idea. Does that driver need to be specific to both the HD being used, a general brand, or both the specific brand HD and the MB / OS?

Edit: Setback. The HD manufacturers defer to MB driver's for HD use. I checked on the HP site, being a Compaq, and the only driver's they offer that are even close, are BIOS downloads...which I already installed.

JrRC - Were you saying I need a specific driver installed in DOS that'll tell the computer to find the HD, or were you saying the HD has it's own driver that needs to be installed?
Posted on: 2009/12/19 14:29

tobijohn Re: Installing OS on Laptop *GEEK*
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

I think what you need is the driver for the hard drive controller which is integrated into the laptop motherboard. Windows XP has a ton of drivers for various hardware but it doesn't have all of them. And it wouldn't have the driver for your laptop's controller if it's newer than XP (or maybe the latest XP service pack). That's usually why Windows can't see the hard drive during the install process. And that's why the eBay loaner with XP booted up fine - it already had the driver that allowed it to access the hard drive...
Posted on: 2009/12/19 21:31

AIRFOIL FREE!

Durango_Boy Re: Installing OS on Laptop *GEEK*
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I tried the AMD Sata drive controller, burned the ISO onto a disc and installed it just fine. However, the computer still couldn't see the hard drive.

I then took it all apart again, and put my old MB back into operation. This time though I used the smaller HD that was never used.

Problem is now I am back to the original problem, which is the laptop won't power up. The lights all come on and the disc drive whirs a bit and then the lights flash off, on again, off again a few times, and then off altogether.

The screen never even burps. I've now changed almost everything on the laptop with the old MB...which is the best of the two I have, and nothing. It's also the most rare on Ebay.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new MB for this laptop...which would still be 1/6th the cost of buying a new laptop. We already bought a new Sony Vaio for the wife but it's PINK and I just don't feel comfortable using that one in public. LOL.
Posted on: 2009/12/19 21:35

tobijohn Re: Installing OS on Laptop *GEEK*
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

If the donor laptop and original HDD booted up XP ok (albeit slow from neglect) initially but the HDD isn't recognized during the XP install then it's got to be a HDD controller driver issue. During the initial XP install, there's a point where you have the option of installing a third party controller driver and prompts you to install the driver disk. That's when you have to feed it the controller driver...
Posted on: 2009/12/20 0:09

AIRFOIL FREE!

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.