Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Got my HID kit from Yosi at CorvetteHID last week. Havent got to install them yet. We talked it over and instead of doing 35 watt ballast that he sold, I did 50 watt. Instead of giving me his brand, he said morimoto was the BEST he could get so he wanted to know if I wanted to do that. I said sure.....I got them and they are GORGEOUS. Laser etched emblem and not a sticker. Thats irrelevant though. These ballast, are they any good? I trust yosi with no doubt. He has been VERY good to me. He got me 60 smd leds to fit in my third brake light where the normal four halogens fit. Can't wait to get that installed!!! He was always with me for the past month(july to august) as he built my lights, never left me in the dark, and am ordering Halos from him next week. So about the morimoto ballast. Any information on them from you guys?
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

no clue. absolutely no idea.

I hate to suggest this, but search that brand of ballast on one of the civic or other import forums. That kinda upgrade is very popular. If they are rated well, let us know. I am always looking for improvements in lighting.

I do, however, believe that Stern guy that HID isn't apt for the C4 lighting systems.
Posted on: 2010/8/30 6:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
no clue. absolutely no idea.

I hate to suggest this, but search that brand of ballast on one of the civic or other import forums. That kinda upgrade is very popular. If they are rated well, let us know. I am always looking for improvements in lighting.

I do, however, believe that Stern guy that HID isn't apt for the C4 lighting systems.

Ugh, I thought for sure you would know something. Thanks anyway. I did google it. I found alot about there bulbs and they have TOP NOTCH reviews and Yosi says this is the best so I have no reason not to believe him. It was my choice of ballast so he had nothing to gain. Why isn't HID right for the C4? What do you suggest??? I have the Hellas with 90/100 but it's not good enough.
Posted on: 2010/8/30 14:12

-=Jeff=- Re: Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
He has been VERY good to me. He got me 60 smd leds to fit in my third brake light where the normal four halogens fit.

so how are you laying out the LEDs? are they plug in to the OEM sockets?

here is my LED 3rd brake light (uses 9 LEDS)
Resized Image

Resized Image

Need to get a better night pic of the LEDs, but they are bright
Posted on: 2010/8/31 12:12
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

There is 4 plug in bulbs and each bulb has 15 smd led chips on it for a total of 60 chips. The bulbs each plug in the stock socket. I am doing a write up/pic show for him on CF and I will post it here to. I can't wait to see them. He said they will be way brighter than stock and the halogens burn out so fast and they are damn expensive! If one of them burn out and the other three on top plus the four regular lights work, you STILL get a ticket for a brake light out!
Posted on: 2010/8/31 16:32

RobertT Re: Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Guru
62 Posts

I have heard that the morimoto ballasts are really good .
this comes from one of my suppliers . I am building a proto type HID headlight system for my C4 that will blow your mind , if it all works out I will bring it to market and custom build them . So from my supplier that will supply me with the correct lenses, shrouds , ballasts , wiring harness
the ballast you mentioned are good , much better than the $99 setups the rice burner guys use . Do you have pics of your vette ? id like to see them , Thanks
Posted on: 2010/8/31 23:43

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

The lights are still in the box and my vette is in my driveway parked....I can't get the damn t hing to run. I did a tune up and have gone thru 3 batteries....I kept getting bad batteries at autozone so today I bought a NAPA one and it cranked right up. It's just running rough as hell. Wouldnt start because the morone sold me the WRONG spark plugs there were to short even though i said 86 vette cast iron heads....wow....anyway, having it towed tomorrow. Starts now but runs REALLY rough....Let a shop take over. Been at it for two weeks with this damn rough running bit. Changed:

Fuel filter
Gas
Spark plugs(twice)
Rotor button
coil(twice, first new coil was bad)
distributor cap
wires
oil/filter
Battery
Cleaned maf
cleaned TB
Chevron techron fuel injector cleaner

Yep, definatley time for a professional. AAA is towing it tomorrow for free from my house to the shop and the shop is doing a FREE diagnositics(great guy and new business!)
Posted on: 2010/9/1 2:23

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

RobertT wrote:
this comes from one of my suppliers . I am building a proto type HID headlight system for my C4 that will blow your mind , if it all works out I will bring it to market and custom build them . So from my supplier that will supply me with the correct lenses, shrouds , ballasts , wiring harness
the ballast you mentioned are good , much better than the $99 setups the rice burner guys use . Do you have pics of your vette ? id like to see them , Thanks

Yosi personally built my HIDs as he does each set he sells. Ballast/harnesses/projector with bulbs...I have HID fogs from him and LOVE EM! I can't wait to see them in action with my headlights to and LED sidemarkers/turn signals/reverse lights.
Posted on: 2010/9/1 2:24

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

RobertT wrote:

I paid 900 dollars for the third brake light and HID headlights. Expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I believe the headlights were around 700 but I wanted upgraded ballast so it cost a little more plus whatever the third brake light cost. He sold single chip third brake lights but I wanted the 15 chip ones instead!
Posted on: 2010/9/1 2:26

bogus Re: Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will be honest... $900 for lights or $900 towards engine... hm...
Posted on: 2010/9/1 17:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

383tpimachine Re: Morimoto HID ballast any good?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I will be honest... $900 for lights or $900 towards engine... hm...

hmmmm both?
Posted on: 2010/9/1 21:51

Guru
62 Posts

I have to say $900 is a lot of money , my third brake light doesn't even work I'm thinking of removing it all toghether.
well I would love to see what your headlights look like at that cost. I hope you get your other problems worked out soon . post some pics when you can .
Posted on: 2010/9/1 23:15

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I havent moved to the engine yet. I finished up the interior COMPLETLY. It's now permanent. New everything. Now I am working on the lighting system/exterior changes, then I will move on to brakes/motor/transmission/differential parts.

I have 6000K foglights and they are BRIGHT! I can't wait to see the headlights!!!
Posted on: 2010/9/1 23:24

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

This is Yosis car with 4100K and 35 watt standard ballast(I got upgraded)

Posted on: 2010/9/1 23:29

Guru
62 Posts

I put 8K in my Excusion this year and I love them ,
I am going to put hid upgrades in my Vette fog lights and
work on custom headlights , which will be a completely different setup than stock . The lights will actually open in another way and will have multi HID bulbs in each headlight opening . well that's the plan at least.
Posted on: 2010/9/1 23:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.