Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
220 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

JAKEJR Considering Different Piston Rings
Guru Newb
KEMPNER, TEXAS
45 Posts

For the 398 CID build I'm into, I'm consider using piston rings I haven't used before and am hoping someone has used them and will give me some feed-back on them.

They're: Speed-Pro R-19100s and Perfect Circle 315-0036

I'm going to write this last part, even though I know up-front that it won't be heeded, but [B]I'm only looking for feed-back on those two rings. [/B] Not alternate/substitute recommendations like "You should use blah, blah, blah". PLEASE!

Thanks,

Jake
Posted on: 2010/12/4 12:02

JAKEJR Re: Considering Different Piston Rings
Guru Newb
KEMPNER, TEXAS
45 Posts

Well, I guess no on knows. Guess I'll check some other Forums. Maybe someone there has run either or both of those rings.

Jake
Posted on: 2010/12/6 1:19

rklessdriver Re: Considering Different Piston Rings
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Sorry Jake-
I've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks, or I would have responded earlier.

Those 2 rings are a totally different on their intended applications.

The Perfect Circle 315-0036 ring set is a regular cast iron Plasma Moly coated ring set and the Speed Pro R19100 is their "Hell Fire" Forced Induction/NO2 rings which use a special PVC coated ductile iron top ring.

I've used the Perfect Circle 315-0036 ring set many times in the past couple of yrs. It's one of my favorites in Normally Aspriated engines. Espc on the street. This is the ring set that is in my 92.

I really like the Napier second ring. The Napier ring is really good additon for oil control and the reduced surface area cuts down on parasitic drag. I also like the Hastings oil ring expander Perfect Circle uses. It's all metal and does not have those little plastic pucks (to prevent mis-assembly overlap) that Speed Pro's oil ring expander uses.

I have an engine going together righ now with that Speed Pro Hell Fire R19100 ring set but - only because it is an NO2 engine and they came with the 396 rotating assy kit that the customer bought. This engine is more race car than street car thou. I have used this ring in the past on a few mid level cost NO2 specific engines and it works well in those applications but it's very hard on cyl walls in real street cars.

Will
Posted on: 2010/12/6 15:09

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.