Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
283 user(s) are online (216 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C4
Abbreviation for the 4th generation of Corvettes built from 1984-1996....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Bluelightning Rims for c4
Guru Newb
1 Posts

I have a stock 85 c4 corvette, i recently was given four chevy 22" rims and want to know if there is enough clearance for these rims and tires on my car?
Posted on: 2011/5/15 17:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: Rims for c4
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

First off, welcome to the Corvette Guru!

Wow... 22" wheels on an 85. I'm really going to have to refer that to someone else that deals with wheels more so than I do, but I have seen C4s with 21" wheels at the various car shows I have been a part of. It might work depending on what tire combination you choose. What offset are they?
Posted on: 2011/5/15 17:30

bogus Re: Rims for c4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Welcome!

Oh, no... sorry to say.

I have seen 20" installed, but I would be shocked if 22" would fit. The wheel arches just aren't big enough and with the big wheel, small tire, they look rather, uh, odd. It would also kill your ride quality. The suspension was designed with a certian amount of compliance built into the tire... and a 22" rim won't have that much tire left.

The other thing you need to consider is overall wheel/tire height... lets do math:

Your stock tire is a 255/50/16. This means 255 width (in millimeters), 50% aspect ratio and 16" rim.

What that translates into is that the sidewall is 50% of the tires width. 255 * 50% = 127.5mm sidewall height; which in turn is converted to standard measure by multiplying by 25.4 (mm to inch) to get 5" (and some pointless change).

Now we are getting somewhere! This means that the tire and wheel are 5" + 16" + 5" (tire to rim, rim to rim, rim to tire) = 26" high, overall.

Now to get a 22" rim to do that would leave you with about 2" if sidewall... which means that the first pothole you hit would destroy the tire AND the rim. Seriously.

If you would like my suggestion, sell the 22" rims to someone who can use them and invest in some really nice 17" or 18" rims. I would advise 18" rims, because 17" tires are going to become harder and harder to get in the latest compounds as the manufacturers phase out the smaller tires.
Posted on: 2011/5/15 17:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

SJW Re: Rims for c4
Guru
Central Maryland
51 Posts

Whether or not they'll fit (doubtful) is only one of the questions you need to ask yourself.

Another is whether or not you'll like the look of them on the car. I suggest you either get somebody who's good with Photoshop to fake them into a photo of your car for you, and/or prop them up alongside of your car and take a look/photo from an angle that places them where they'd be, and see how you like the look. Obviously everybody has their own preferred aesthetic, but a 22" rim on a C4 is not a look that would appeal to me.

A third question is whether or not you can get tires in the size that you'd need for this application.

A fourth question is whether you really want a tire profile that is as low as you'd need it to be in order to fit these rims on this car, if they can be made to fit at all. Installing a tire that has so little sidewall is a heinous bitch of a job (I had a minor wrestling match just installing the 40-series and 45-series Pilot Sports on my LT4 car recently), and each increment lower you go in profile introduces an increasingly harsh ride, as well as less impact tolerance. Super-low profile tires on a street cruiser can be punishing to the occupants, and potholes can be lethal to both the tires and rims.

A 40-series tires is as low as I'd ever want to go on a street-driven vehicle. Going any lower in profile, there's just so little to be gained in terms of handling, and so much to be lost in ride quality and hazard forgiveness, that, IMHO, 40-series is the tipping point in this trade-off, unless it's a track car that won't see road hazards.

Finally, would these rims become a tempting target for thieves who sell into the ghetto markets?

Live well,

SJW
Posted on: 2011/5/15 18:16

j3studio Re: Rims for c4
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

I see size and offset issues.
Posted on: 2011/5/15 18:17

TommyT-Bone Re: Rims for c4
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Are you planning to use the Vette offroad?
Posted on: 2011/5/15 22:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.