Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Pod Powermaster 9100
Guru Newb
Columbia, Ms
44 Posts

Installed a Powermaster 9100 in an 87 with a 383 Jasper engine. Intall went well, shimmed it but it looks to close to the ring gear. Yep, it was to close. Sounded terible and scared the &%#! out of me. It appears to be hitting right on the corner of the ring gear. I circle the car several times thinking of a solution. None came up so I went and took a shower, got on the forum and did some searching this problem. (I'm getting to the question, patience) Along with the bolts and shims in the box there was a round ring in there. Here's the question, does that go between the mounting block and the starter motor to get the gear back away from the ring gear?
Posted on: 2011/5/21 18:16

TommyT-Bone Re: Powermaster 9100
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33776 Posts

Hang tight. An answer will come. Weekends can be slow around here.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 19:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

rklessdriver Re: Powermaster 9100
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Pod wrote:
Installed a Powermaster 9100 in an 87 with a 383 Jasper engine. Intall went well, shimmed it but it looks to close to the ring gear. Yep, it was to close. Sounded terible and scared the &%#! out of me. It appears to be hitting right on the corner of the ring gear. I circle the car several times thinking of a solution. None came up so I went and took a shower, got on the forum and did some searching this problem. (I'm getting to the question, patience) Along with the bolts and shims in the box there was a round ring in there. Here's the question, does that go between the mounting block and the starter motor to get the gear back away from the ring gear?

The round ring is to control the depth that the starter gear engages the FW ring gear.

The flat shims control the starter gear to FW ring gear mesh.

I'm not sure what trans your 87 has.... (Auto or 4+3) but if it's an auto you should be able to remove the bottom dust cover, then use a screw driver to pry the starter drive out to check the engagement dept and mesh.

When I did my 92 (ZF6 spd) I had to trial and error it because the bellhousing blocked access to the starter drive.
Will
Posted on: 2011/5/21 23:04

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pod Re: Powermaster 9100
Guru Newb
Columbia, Ms
44 Posts

I got it. Installed the ring and it pulled it away from the ring gear. Problem solved.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 0:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.