Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
320 user(s) are online (269 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

damien89 Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Guru
53 Posts

Two days ago i went for a drive with the 89 and used the cruise control to see that it was working, and it worked perfect.

When i went to switch it off i pulled the switch to the off position and the lever moved a bit outwards then i pushed it back in.

Today i used the vette again but unfortunately the cruise control didn't work. When i arrived home i turned the ignition to the on position and put the switch to the on position and nothing happened. Usually i can hear the cruise control make a click when turned on but this time nothing happened.

Did i maybe tear a wire in the lever or could it be a blown fuse of some sort, maybe something made a short in the lever and caused a fuse to blow??
Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

istter1 Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Most often it is the electrical switch on the brake pedal that goes bad. But first I would check that it is holding vacuum.

This is what I was told to try and it was the vacuum. The sound I had heard prior was the vacuum on the Cruise control.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-88- ... uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Good luck
Steve
Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:31

bogus Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is this little set of wires behind the turn signal... make sure those wires aren't messed up.

Also, as Steve said, check vacuum, but your issue sounds more at the stalk.
Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

damien89 Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:
Most often it is the electrical switch on the brake pedal that goes bad. But first I would check that it is holding vacuum.

This is what I was told to try and it was the vacuum.

Good luck
Steve

To tell you the truth yesterday i was repairing the chmsl and was checking the brake switch under the dash.
By accident i did pop the vacuum pipe from the cruise con. switch but i put it back on.

But i will recheck everything down there.
Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:39

bogus Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the vacuum lines turn to crap after a while, too. You may need to run new hose at some point.
Posted on: 2011/8/6 22:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

istter1 Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

So have you solved the problem yet?

Steve
Posted on: 2011/8/9 3:56

damien89 Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:

Steve

No not yet, i checked the fuses and their all good,
My suspect is the the on/off switch on the lever becuase when i turned it
Off last time it worked it came out a bit and since then everytime i turn it on i dont hear the click that the solenoids make, but to tell you the truth i have no idea how i can test the switch on the steering column lever.
Posted on: 2011/8/9 4:53

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

damien89 wrote:
Quote:

istter1 wrote:

Steve

Off last time it worked it came out a bit and since then everytime i turn it on i dont hear the click that the solenoids make, but to tell you the truth i have no idea how i can test the switch on the steering column lever.

Well so far this has been a good place to find the answers. I don't have that problem yet, but it would be nice to know before it happens to me.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/8/9 5:09

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Quote:

damien89 wrote:
Quote:

istter1 wrote:

Steve

Well so far this has been a good place to find the answers. I don't have that problem yet, but it would be nice to know before it happens to me.

Steve

If i manage to fix i will make a write up here for everyone,
The problem is trying to find time to fix it.
Posted on: 2011/8/9 6:22

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.d ... 9d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050F#

Not much there on the switch
They aren't cheep
Steve

Attach file:

jpg  cruise control.jpg (9.46 KB)
5144_4e412673c0072.jpg 600X244 px
Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:23

95Vert Re: Cruise control stopped working, where can i begin to diagnose the problem?
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

You're right, that's not on the cheap side, but not as prohibitively expensive as some other things (still saving for the fuel sender unit).

I've got the same problem so when I look at that switch it occurs to me to ask, isn't that same switch used in other GM vehicles? Could then be removed from another vehicle in a picknpull thereby also learning how it comes apart for future installation?
Posted on: 2011/8/9 13:24

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Is your wiper swtich in the door? Fron the picture of the other switich I wonder how many wires are in that conector?
As suggested there may be other swtiches from this company that list your models use in other vehicles.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-9 ... CRUISE-CHROME-NEW-3-WIRE-
_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf38146eaQQitemZ330502850282QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

THIS IS A BRAND NEW NON-OEM EXACT REPLACEMENT TURN SIGNAL SWITCH WITH WIPER DELAY AND CRUISE CONTROL. IT HAS A CHROME HOUSING. IT SHOULD FIT THE MAJORITY OF ALL GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLES MADE FROM THE EARLY 1980'S TO THE EARLY 1990'S EQUIPPED WITH CRUISE CONTROL. IT IS A 3 WIRE WITH A BLADE TYPE CONNECTOR. IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS 4 WIRES COMING OUT OF THE SWITCH AND HAS A SMALL SQUARE PLUG THEN IT IS A LATER MODEL SWITCH WITH CRUISE CONTROL AND WE HAVE THOSE AS WELL LISTED IN A SEPERATE AUCTION. THIS IS THE BEST DEAL OUT THERE FOR THIS ITEM AND ONCE WE SELL OUT THEY WILL BE GONE FOREVER AT THIS PRICE!!! DO NOT SNOOZE ON THIS ONE. THE ORIGINAL GM PART # IS 25111260

Steve
Posted on: 2011/8/9 15:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.