Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
187 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vertte
Shorthand notation for Corvette Convertible. See also vert and vette...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

ttpfi Clutch master and slave cylinder help
Guru Newb
Fort Worth, Texas
25 Posts

1996, LT-4, 383.
6 months ago, had the clutch master replaced. Last week, clutch started going to the floor and I had to pump up the clutch to get it home. I replaced the master, bled the system, bled the system and bled the system. Take it out for a drive and I get 2 miles down the road and the clutch peddle goes soft AGAIN. So my question is, replace the slave cylinder? This is frustrating. The slave was replaced a year ago.
Posted on: 2011/12/20 22:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Clutch master and slave cylinder help
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

what about the hose? They have tendency to burst and fail.
Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:14

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

istter1 Re: Clutch master and slave cylinder help
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

87 vett destroying clutch master cylinders #1
Senior Guru

Bakersfield Ca
470 Posts

I went through hell with this there should have been no problem. WE replaced every thing. Been on the same hydralic systen now for 6 months. Longest any of the system lasted this long. When we replaced the flywheel it had been turned to many times. Spent a lot of time finding what we hope was the problem.
Steve

Quote:

ttpfi wrote:
1996, LT-4, 383.
6 months ago, had the clutch master replaced. Last week, clutch started going to the floor and I had to pump up the clutch to get it home. I replaced the master, bled the system, bled the system and bled the system. Take it out for a drive and I get 2 miles down the road and the clutch peddle goes soft AGAIN. So my question is, replace the slave cylinder? This is frustrating. The slave was replaced a year ago.
Posted on: Today 16:40

So far in one year I have replaced 4 Clutch master cylinders. Bent the actuator rod. tightened up the place the pedal moves on. Now thinking about Swing pedals. Anyone have a suggestion?

Steve
Posted on: 7/4 14:44
Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The only thing, Steve, 1987 hydraulics are TOTALLY different than 1996 hydraulics... only the same is the name and concept.

My 92 matches the 96 setup (1989-96 is the same). I used a NAPA source, Taiwan made 1 piece cast slave. This has stopped ALL leaks.

The GM units were not cast, but pressed somehow and would leak at the seams after a time. Top that off, from about 2001 to about 2006, they were being made WRONG with the main seal installed wrong!

I have never heard much going wrong with the master, but I have seen hoses bust.

If nothing else, top with fluid, add some dye and see where the leak is.
Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:34

jonszr1 Re: Clutch master and slave cylinder help
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i just went through the same problem myself . bill boudreau rebuilt my slave and it works great . the problem is alot of these that are sold new have the main seal installed backwards as mine was . if you want to get it done right once and for all send it to bill boudreau aka zfdoc his ph is 602 319 6575 .
Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:44
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

ttpfi Re: Clutch master and slave cylinder help
Guru Newb
Fort Worth, Texas
25 Posts

Thanks, going to order a SC from Napa. The line going from the master to the slave is a steel line, not a flexable hose.
Posted on: 2011/12/21 10:55

Guru Newb
Fort Worth, Texas
25 Posts

I got the slave in from rockauto.com. I found an easy way to get the nuts back on the slave studs. I took the socket and streched a latex glove over the socket, then pushed the nut into the socket. This gave enough friction to hold the nut in the socket. Took a 1x2 piece of wood, used that to push and hold the slave on the studs. Took the socket and hand tightened the nuts on the slave. Then torked down the nuts. Bled the system and got a good hard pedal. Took all of about 45 minutes.
Posted on: 2011/12/27 12:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

is the slave the one piece cast unit I described? if so, you probably got the same part that NAPA sells.
Posted on: 2011/12/27 18:03

Guru Newb
Fort Worth, Texas
25 Posts

Yes, it is the cast unit. I verified before I purchased. It was a little cheaper from rockauto.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.