Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
180 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

donhall Hood springs, replace - 1992
Senior Guru
297 Posts

The latch springs work, but they are 'tired'. At first glance, the job looks very simple. All my searches reveal that the spring is not easily removed.

Many, if not all, have removed the spring bracket for access to the spring unit which creates a re-install alignment concern.

I have springs on order ($16), but unless someone has successfully replaced the springs without removing the brackets, I think the springs will remain in the shipping box.

The hood on the Andy Bogus vette probably has been released more times than any other. How are your latch springs working, Andy?

Posted on: 2012/10/25 20:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Are you sure they don't just need adjustment vs replacement?
Posted on: 2012/10/26 1:24

donhall Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Senior Guru
297 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Are you sure they don't just need adjustment vs replacement?

Matthew, the springs release the hood from the latch sufficiently to lift to the upright position. They are 20 years old, and the release action is more like a weak push rather than a pop up.

No adjustment is evident as it appears that the springs are just secured in the assembly, and the rubber bumpers positioned on the bracket provide the hood adjustment.
Posted on: 2012/10/26 1:35

joeld Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Is your hood lifting up enough to clear the latch pin when released? If not then it's possible the latch pin needs adjusting for/aft or cross car.
The primary purpose of the springs is to pop the hood up high enough for the "pecker pin" to clear the "fish mouth". After that the hood struts do the work.
On my 89 I had the primary rod on the drivers side, plus the short helper rod on the passenger side and it would jump up so fast that I removed the short one.
Might want to try a short one in conjuction with primary, I assume yours will have the mounting plates?

Joel
Posted on: 2012/10/26 2:22

Senior Guru
297 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
Is your hood lifting up enough to clear the latch pin when released? If not then it's possible the latch pin needs adjusting for/aft or cross car.
The primary purpose of the springs is to pop the hood up high enough for the "pecker pin" to clear the "fish mouth". After that the hood struts do the work.
On my 89 I had the primary rod on the drivers side, plus the short helper rod on the passenger side and it would jump up so fast that I removed the short one.
Might want to try a short one in conjuction with primary, I assume yours will have the mounting plates?

Joel

Joel, the springs are performing OK. They are just very old, and the replacement of the springs should be quite simple. Unfortunately, I have not read a thread confirming the simplicity of replacement. It appears there is a locking nut at the base of the assembly, and the
shaft has a slot for assembly adjustment, but the components are 'frozen', making removal seemingly impossible without breaking something.

On the '92, there is only one support/lift strut, and you have to initiate the lift, and then the strut provides lift help.

I can live with the existing situation..... 'tired' springs on the vette, and replacement springs in the shipping box.
Posted on: 2012/10/26 3:30

joeld Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Yea, I understand. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone, at least with me!

Joel
Posted on: 2012/10/26 3:42

josephf31 Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

donhall wrote:
Quote:

joeld wrote:

Joel

Joel, the springs are performing OK. They are just very old, and the replacement of the springs should be quite simple. Unfortunately, I have not read a thread confirming the simplicity of replacement. It appears there is a locking nut at the base of the assembly, and the
shaft has a slot for assembly adjustment, but the components are 'frozen', making removal seemingly impossible without breaking something.

On the '92, there is only one support/lift strut, and you have to initiate the lift, and then the strut provides lift help.

I can live with the existing situation..... 'tired' springs on the vette, and replacement springs in the shipping box.

What does the FSM show?
Posted on: 2012/10/26 3:44

Senior Guru
297 Posts

Quote:

josephf31 wrote:

What does the FSM show?

FSM: "Loosen jamb nut".

The jamb nut is very thin (about 3/16") ..... no way to get a 'bite', and I'm very concerned about removing the bracket plate without causing damage to the hood.

The jamb nut is about 1 1/2" wide..... looks like a closed-end thin bicycle type wrench could be slipped over the spring assembly onto the nut. If the wrench was secure, it might be receptive to a few hammer blows to break the jamb nut loose....... not sure.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 4:02
Edited by donhall on 2012/10/26 4:19:24
Edited by donhall on 2012/10/26 4:20:30
Edited by donhall on 2012/10/26 4:35:40

bogus Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The latch springs... hm... they get sticky, from my observation.

I will clean mine up, and the releases, with brake cleaner, then slather on a coat of anti-seize.

Seems to help for quite a while.

As for replacing the springs... yea, take the plates off, make sure you mark the bolts with a paint pen so you can line everything back up!

Remember, that bolt is under spring tension, and has been exposed to the elements for 20 years. You may also want to spray that area down with PB Blaster to free things up.
Posted on: 2012/10/26 5:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
297 Posts

Thanks, Andy...... have done all the cleaning and lubrication work.
The springs power the hood from the latched position. That is their sole purpose. As I mentioned in my first post, they are just 'tired'.

Replacement is a snap..... loosen the jamb nut, remove the shaft using a screwdriver in the slotted end, and replace the spring..... except every fastener is 'frozen' after 20 years. The mounting plate/bracket should not have to be removed, only the jamb nut should be loosened..... in theory.

I was just hoping someone had experienced the process ....... the replacement springs will remain in the shipping box for the next owner.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Posted on: 2012/10/26 15:42

Jagdpanzer Re: Hood springs, replace - 1992
Guru Newb
Northern VA
12 Posts

In addition to the single factory strut I installed a pair of earlier C4 style struts on my 94 and the hood now lifts like a feather.

Photobucket

Picked up the Sachs SG430011 struts off ebay for $8.53 ea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120933386149? ... _trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Posted on: 2012/10/31 0:36

Senior Guru
297 Posts

[quote]
Jagdpanzer wrote:
In addition to the single factory strut I installed a pair of earlier C4 style struts on my 94 and the hood now lifts like a feather.

Thanks, but my concern is with the latch release springs.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 1:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.