Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

GRIS, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Is this a good deal?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Geez am I getting the bug bad.
I'm even thinking about taking a small loan to get some of the stuff I want done. I hope the weather breaks soon, so I can start driving, maybe that will calm me down some.

So, I'm on that other forum, and there is a used Accel ported plenum and runners. Some guy bought it for his LT1, doh! Now he's selling it for $300 shipped.

Would this do me any good without a ported base? Would this be a good buy? Or would I be better off waiting and buying a MR.

My long term plan is to try to get to 300hp. I've done the catback. Eventually I want to do the intake, headers, chip, and maybe heads.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 19:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster RE:Is this a good deal?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Small loan for car mods? I wouldn't admit that in public.

That is a good price though for those ported. I lucked out and got a unported high flow base for $65. But if you can't afford at least $300 to snap up a good deal, you've got no business modding your car. Don't forget all the b.s. costs like gaskets, lube, misc tools, and beer.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 20:34

DaleD RE:Is this a good deal?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

The small loan thing is thinking out loud.
I'm not exactly in the poor house. But the deal is, I have to keep the Corvette from impacting family finances. I have one in college, and a trip to NC for vacation, and I just bought wheels, etc.
So, I could sit tight, or, take a small loan that would be separate from other stuff, my own screwball accounting, I have a monthly Corvette budget.
BTW, the small loan factors in, a new door panel, new shocks, alignment, etc.

So, do you think the plenum and runners would be a noticable fix for the tpi intake?

I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm sitting here with a fouty in a bag, trying to figure out how to scratch up $300.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 20:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If you've got a monthly budget, that means you've got the money, maybe just not all at once. So spending triple that budget this month means no mods for the next two months, etc. But you don't need a loan for that, a credit car will do just fine. Mine are around 12%.

Or you could wait and save a few months worth as a buffer so it will never be a debt even if you exceed the monthly budget. There are easy savings accounts that are accessible and earn interest, I use ING to save an extra few mortgage payments and renters deposits. Used to be 4.5% but lately it's dropped so I may find a different one.

As for the TPI, a ported base and runners is absolutely worth it! The base and runners on these things are a biggest restriction. The throttlebody and plenum, aren't. Plus the plenum can be easily modified for free with a rotary tool.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 22:03

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I don't carry a CC balance. I can get a loan for a lot less than the 12% of my CC. The loan talk is just impatience. I want to do a lot of stuff all at once.

Waiting would be a good idea, except I think this is one of those things that comes up only now and then. I think the original owner is a pretty good guy. As for the current owner, his mistake could be my gain. I could defer some of the other things until it gets warmer, and just buy this now without a loan. Like I said... impatience.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 22:18

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The waiting game works good in a few ways, more affordable, and you don't find deals on the parts you're looking for all at once.

The only downside is, well, waiting, and of course seeing half of your parts sitting on the shelf for months laughing at you.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:11

dan0617 RE:Is this a good deal?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I have a stock intake base I'll sell you for $30 plus shipping, you could send it off to forum member cuisinartvette for porting. I'm not sure where he lives so I don't know what shipping would cost but I would ship it directly from me to him, then he could send it to you when it is done. I've heard the stock intake base flows really well when ported but I have no experience with that. If you are interested at all let me know and I'll hold it for you till you talk to him and figure out if you want it or not.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If you want a cheapy, try tracking down user 1985Corvette on CF. He got a massively ported one from cuisinart that is sitting on his shelf collecting dust. Ron sent it to him free and he never used it. He might've turned around and sold it to one of his friends for a dime bag or something though.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:57

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:
If you are interested at all let me know and I'll hold it for you till you talk to him and figure out if you want it or not.

Hey, thanks for the offer. Approximately what does it weigh?
I think the shipping costs might make it not worth it. I'm going to look around for one, don't hold yours. I'll talk to Cuisinart and see what he charges. If it makes sense, I'll be back in touch with you.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 0:18

dan0617 RE:Is this a good deal?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
If you are interested at all let me know and I'll hold it for you till you talk to him and figure out if you want it or not.

Hey, thanks for the offer. Approximately what does it weigh?
I think the shipping costs might make it not worth it. I'm going to look around for one, don't hold yours. I'll talk to Cuisinart and see what he charges. If it makes sense, I'll be back in touch with you.

I'll have to weigh it and get back to you because I really don't know. My guess on shipping from PA to Ohio would be about $12 to $15. I don't know where cuisinart lives tho. You might be able to do some research and port it yourself also. I have seen them for sale so it might work out best for you to find one already done. Check out the one CC mentioned.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 1:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.