Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (206 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

93ragtop Paint questions
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

First off, hopefully I posted this in the correct place, but if not, please move it.

My questions are about paint for my car. 35 years ago, I took an autobody class and used to do some "backyard" painting. Used to use acrylic lacquer. It dried fast, and could be wet sanded and buffed. Worked pretty good for a amateur like me.

Does anyone still make a paint with these qualities?
I would prefer a single stage paint. Also, it is going to be white for a 93 corvette, and a white and red for a 87 dodge truck. Neither are metallic paints.

Thanks for your help
Posted on: 2013/4/5 12:38
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Paint questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

as far as I know, yes. Some parts of the country had banned it... but you live in a state with big cities that might still have it.

Find a local body shop supply and go from there.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 13:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Paint questions
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yes, you can still get lacquer but the good stuff is pricy and is different from the lacquer that you used back then.

But, today's single stage urethane is better and it will wetsand and buff like the lacquer that you used. And actually cures faster since it's a chemical cure.

If you still want lacquer and the "easy" stuff to use:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/

I haven't used PaintShop so, you may want to check the reviews.

And I highly recommend using a clearcoat, it makes a huge difference.
The cost to put on the additional clear would be about $100 either Duplicolor or urethane like Hecklers.

And if you don't have a HVLP gun, I'd get one, it's a night and day difference shooting with one of these compared to the old gun's.

You can get a beautiful gun from our forum vendor T.C.P. Global shipped for $45.00, I bought this gun and it's super for the price.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 14:05

93ragtop Re: Paint questions
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Bill, the problem with the paintshop system is, I don't think they do factory colors.
But if you don't mind me asking a few more questions about the urethane paints.
1. can the basecoat/clearcoat systems be sanded between the color coat and the clearcoat. I may be over thinking this, but I was concerned with dust or dirt getting in the paint.
2. Can you recommend a place, preferably mail order that will sell this?
3. What brand, type of urethane, do you recommend?

I will look at the paint gun you are talking about. What I currently have is a sears gun but it is not HVLP. FWIW I purchased a cheap HVLP from harbor freight years ago, and threw it away. It was junk IMO and would spit the paint.

Thanks to both you and Bogus for your input.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 14:18
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph

corvetteronw Re: Paint questions
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Getting ready to do a repaint in my garage this summer. I have done a lot of research. This guy has done a series of 5 videos that do a good job of explaining the process.
If you are just going with a single stage white job then might I suggest the Eastwood products. You could give it a try and then do a clearcoat afterward if you think it might look better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmH6InU0PzM
Posted on: 2013/4/5 14:58

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

93ragtop wrote:
Bill, the problem with the paintshop system is, I don't think they do factory colors.
But if you don't mind me asking a few more questions about the urethane paints.
1. can the basecoat/clearcoat systems be sanded between the color coat and the clearcoat. I may be over thinking this, but I was concerned with dust or dirt getting in the paint.
2. Can you recommend a place, preferably mail order that will sell this?
3. What brand, type of urethane, do you recommend?

I will look at the paint gun you are talking about. What I currently have is a sears gun but it is not HVLP. FWIW I purchased a cheap HVLP from harbor freight years ago, and threw it away. It was junk IMO and would spit the paint.

Thanks to both you and Bogus for your input.

Rich, first, here is the gun:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx

Look at the pic in the video (the number of air holes in the brass section) and watch the vid if you want.

Then scroll down to the first gun, the one with the 1.3mm tip., This is the one I have. I got the 1.3 rather than the 1.4 because I wanted to spray the 67's chassis with a high solids chassis paint. But, I will use it for bc/cc on average paint jobs (not the 67 Coupe).
This gun's beautiful especially compared to a Sata which is $500.
The only thing is that the air regulator gauge has a plastic face, lacquer thinner will mess it up. Suggest a coat of wax on the face.
It's 100% better than a HF.
Make sure you use a screw on air dryer.

1. Yea you sure can wet sand before clear BUT check the manufacturer's data sheet for the times involved with sanding and clear coating.

2. TCP may sell factory tint, you'll have to check in their "Paint Shop" section.
There's also www.autobodytoolmart.com but I don't think they have factory colors. They do carry Heckler's and say that they will send out color chips (may be close to the vette).
And, if you do a search, you can get factory colors from many sources but, I never have done that.

3. I mostly use PPG but their expensive stuff.
However, my buddy has been using PPG ShopLine which is very reasonable in price, he just did a bc/cc 34 Ford with it and it cane out great. If I were to paint my pickup, I'd definitely use it. Another excellent brand is R&M and Sherwin Williams automotive paint.
You'll have to do some research.

And the Summit Racing paint may be worth looking into. I just shot their Chassis Shield on my frame and was really happy with it.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-02-07 23-58-35_0011.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2013/4/5 15:16

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
Getting ready to do a repaint in my garage this summer. I have done a lot of research. This guy has done a series of 5 videos that do a good job of explaining the process.
If you are just going with a single stage white job then might I suggest the Eastwood products. You could give it a try and then do a clearcoat afterward if you think it might look better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmH6InU0PzM

I've done a paint booth like that before, it does work.

The only thing that bothers me about his setup is the fan he has in the wall (and I don't know if he actually used it) but, that's pretty dangerous. Exhaust fans should be sealed at the least, one spark could ruin your day.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 15:24

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

He does address this in one of the videos. States that since he is using HVLP then there is not that much paint fog in the booth.
Maybe it would be a good idea to put a small-mesh metal screen over the opening of the fan to act like a spark arrestor - same principal as the air filter cover on my boat's 454 engine.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
He does address this in one of the videos. States that since he is using HVLP then there is not that much paint fog in the booth.
Maybe it would be a good idea to put a small-mesh metal screen over the opening of the fan to act like a spark arrestor - same principal as the air filter cover on my boat's 454 engine.

Yea, I just fast forwarded thru a couple of the vids real quick.

The HVLP is a must in this setup, quite a while ago I shot my open wheel car's body in that kind of tent with a conventional gun and had big problems seeing.

In the pic I posted of the frame, I used that HVLP gun and there was NO overspray on the concrete when I was done.
Kinda blew me away.

I don't know if a spark arrester would work or not, the sparks in a motor occur at the brushes.
I have blown out the garage 20 minutes after painting with a regular fan.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:53

Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

FWIW I would think a sealed motor would be better or setting the fan up to blow through the filters and then exhaust out the window. In other words locate the fan outside of the booth back in the garage. Upstream from the paint booth.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 20:56

Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Bill, the TCP web site has a lot of good info on it. But for some reason I could not get the color library to work. I could put in the Chevrolet but could not enter the year. I may have to call them on that and see.

Thanks for all your help.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 20:59

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

93ragtop wrote:
FWIW I would think a sealed motor would be better or setting the fan up to blow through the filters and then exhaust out the window. In other words locate the fan outside of the booth back in the garage. Upstream from the paint booth.

Well, filters wouldn't do jack. No matter where you are moving the air, you are drawing flammable fumes thru the fan, filters won't stop those fumes. It just isn't a good idea.
All the filters do is keep paint particles from blowing outside your shop.

The min you need is a totally enclosed electric motor. There are shop ventilation fans, low CFM, with shutters with TEFC motors that start at $150 for a 13 x 8.

But these will state in the instructions that they are not approved for paint booths.

My buddy has a brand new paint booth at his house (lucky me). His fan system was about $1,200.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

93ragtop wrote:
Bill, the TCP web site has a lot of good info on it. But for some reason I could not get the color library to work. I could put in the Chevrolet but could not enter the year. I may have to call them on that and see.

Thanks for all your help.

Yea, no worky. You'll have to call.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:51

Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Bill, What I was trying to say was put the fan on the filter side and blow into the room and then let it naturally exhaust outside through the window. That way the fan is upstream of the fumes from the paint.
But the fan motors for 150 would be the best bet.
Posted on: 2013/4/5 22:03

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

BTW, if you work on a lot of cars and want a paint/dust containment system for plastic sheeting but don't want to have to build a wall or staple up plastic all the time check out zip wall.

http://www.zipwall.com/products/4-pack-plus
Posted on: 2013/4/5 22:09

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

93 rag. I just got a color chart from Eastwood. I can scan it and shoot it your way if you want. Just PM me your e-mail address or post it here and I will send it off.
I think I am going with the local PPG guys as they can mix my 91 Steel Blue Metallic and are available to give me advice in case I screw things up. Costs more but what the heck.
Posted on: 2013/4/6 2:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Almost all the regular paint I buy is PPG. The custom colors I use are House of Kolors but they are about 4x the cost of PPG.

The paint on my road racing kart was PPG Concept 2000 for the white, black and orange. And HoK for the pearls.
I used about a mile of masking tape to do the paint.

I also built the fiberglass molds for the bodywork.

Attach file:

jpg  881_4953a0b767ab7.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2013/4/6 3:52

Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
93 rag. I just got a color chart from Eastwood. I can scan it and shoot it your way if you want. Just PM me your e-mail address or post it here and I will send it off.
I think I am going with the local PPG guys as they can mix my 91 Steel Blue Metallic and are available to give me advice in case I screw things up. Costs more but what the heck.

Thanks for the offer but unless they are factory colors, I really don't need them.
Posted on: 2013/4/6 13:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.