Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Draining Fuel Tank
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

In the process of getting the C4 ready for the road and running/looking nice.
My crew of helpers and I are now installing a fresh TPI system that I got from someone on the CF.
Thought I would drain the fuel out of the tank as I am not sure how it has held up for the too many months it has been off the road.
I tried this tip:
"Disconnect the fuel line at the filter, have a few big fuel cans ready, and run a piece of line into the can. Now run 12V to terminal G on the ALDL...your tank will evacuate very quickly. Be ready. Also be ready to yank the wire out when the tank gets close to being empty or you will burn up your fuel pump....they don't like to run dry."

So - gave it a try. Nothing. Freshly charged battery, no fuel coming out of the inlet line and no fuel pump sound. Tried it with the key out of the ignition and again with the key in the run position. Interior lights and dash board light up so I must be getting juice.
I cannot find the source for this tip - just had saved the printount from some forum or internet search from several months ago. Mine is an L98 (1991) and has the 12 pin diagnostic connector. We double checked and had the correct terminal (G is in the lower left corner according to my reference book). My reference book does show a diagram of a later 12 pin and 16 pin diagnostic connector and says, "The 1994-96 vehicles may use either a 12 or 16 pin DLC.
There was a diagram of the 94-96 DLC also and it shows no terminal G.
Any clues? Looks like I may just siphon the stuff straight out of the tank instead.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/8/3 2:08

josephf31 Re: Draining Fuel Tank
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

This is strictly a SWAG, but I thought there is a connection between the oil pressure switch near the distributor, and the fuel pump, so that if there is no oil pressure the fuel pump will not run. Or maybe if the distributor isn't spinning as in when starting/running, the switch won't close and thus no fuel?
Posted on: 2013/8/3 2:29

corvetteronw Re: Draining Fuel Tank
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Distributor is not even installed yet. You are right - that is one of the things the ecm checks for. I will just drain the tank the old fashion way and keep on truckin.
Here is the start sequence for the L98:
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/l98.htm
Posted on: 2013/8/3 3:27

Matatk Re: Draining Fuel Tank
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Resized Image

Are you running a power line directly from the battery to the g terminal?
Posted on: 2013/8/3 4:10

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

josephf31 wrote:
This is strictly a SWAG, but I thought there is a connection between the oil pressure switch near the distributor, and the fuel pump, so that if there is no oil pressure the fuel pump will not run. Or maybe if the distributor isn't spinning as in when starting/running, the switch won't close and thus no fuel?

Old myth. There is no fail safe to turn off fuel pump. Fuel pump runs through relay first. If relay is bad, once car sees 4 psi oil pressure while cranking it will energize the fuel pump.
Posted on: 2013/8/3 4:12

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

From positive battery clamp to the G terminal. Now I did find that my battery terminal (threaded hole) was slightly stripped so I re-tapped it to get a tighter fit. Have not tried the procedure again though as my helper is busy now.
Posted on: 2013/8/3 16:17

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Got R Dun. Used siphon hose. Got 5 gal and then it started sucking air. Now to put in some of the good stuff.
Posted on: 2013/8/3 20:12

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
Got R Dun. Used siphon hose. Got 5 gal and then it started sucking air. Now to put in some of the good stuff.

Sometimes the old way is the best!
Posted on: 2013/8/4 2:35

SpectatorRacing Re: Draining Fuel Tank
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I'll take the 5 gallons of old stuff

I'll grab it on my way to Grattan over Labor day weekend. You should come up for the day, it's not far from Lowell.
Posted on: 2013/8/4 2:45

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Poured it in my son in law's '04 GMC 1/2 ton so it would mix with the other stuff. Some of the gas in there was probably 2 years old and who knows how much condensation?
Would love to go to the race course but still got to install new distributor, water pump, EGR elim kit, convert my 91 TPI sensors to work with an 89 plenum, change oil, refill with coolant, change plugs/wires, install throttle body, set timing etc. I hope the biotch snarts, farts and starts! Then paint the nose and tail and put her up for sale.
Edit: Gots to figure out which one (or more) of my FX3 shock controllers is bad. I have a couple of replacements so should be ok. And then there is flushing brake fluid and installing 4 new brake hoses.
I won't be leaving the garage for some time! (Lovin almost every minute of it too !)
Posted on: 2013/8/4 3:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.