Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
182 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

mechguy79 FIRST intake, headers, injectors complete...Initial impressions
Guru Newb
San Angelo, Tx
39 Posts

Got everything installed. My initial impressions are below.

FIRST intake. Quality piece, but has a few quirks. When installing I noticed the back of the manifold does not cover all of the rear china wall. The wall is about 1/2in thick, and only 1/4 is covered by the manifold. I have no leaks...so far. I also has to shave the top corners of the manifold where it meets the heads. There was just enough extra that it would hang on the cylinder head. Not a fan of the throttle body. The large singe blade has clearance issues, even after they shaved it a little. Mine still rubs. The linkage also has a catch in it that tends to cause it to hang at 1% open according to the TPS. That was part of my high idle issue. I had to file some, and reposition the throttle return spring.

Headers were second hand, never installed units. I was told they were TPIS, but I sure hope they weren't. The holes to the cylinder heads didn't line up worth crap. I had to dremel the hell out of them to get things to work. I still think I may have stripped one, but no leaks so far. Otherwise, the headers fit fine. I had my exhaust guy weld on some flanges so I could remove things easily later.

Dynamax VT mufflers are awesome. I had a factory LT1 system on the car with magnaflows and it droned pretty bad. The dynamax VTs quieted the car down a huge amount and I actually notice wind noise now. People who want a more aggressive sound will want to consider something else.

I upgraded to FIC used 24lb injectors. They seem ok, but are loud.

I am still waiting on the PCM4less tune to show up to take full advantage. I can say the car has WAY more punch off the line. I haven't opened it up as I just got it back running, but I can definitely tell a big difference.

The last thing I did was have the heads freshened, 3 angle valve job, and install with a super thin head gasket, Felpro 1095 I think (.015 thickness). I screwed up and accidentally put in regular when I filled it up and holy hell did it ping. Definitely needs premium now. I put in some octane booster to get through this tank.

This was the single largest project I have done with this thing to date and so far so good. The only codes I have so far is an EGR code. I don't have EGR anymore is why. The custom tune will take care of that.
Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: FIRST intake, headers, injectors complete...Initial impressions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

sounds like things are coming along nicely!!!
Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:24

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: FIRST intake, headers, injectors complete...Initial impressions
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Good review! Hope it all works well. Did you already have a cam? Stock heads? Any other changes?
Posted on: 2013/12/15 23:26

mechguy79 Re: FIRST intake, headers, injectors complete...Initial impressions
Guru Newb
San Angelo, Tx
39 Posts

Stock cam. The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner. I don't fully trust the bottom end so I didn't want to push it. I just reworked the stock 113 heads. The only change was I installed a new underhood wiring harness I scored a while ago. So, its just a nice bolt-on engine. It's so nice not having a bunch of broken tabs.

Oh, I did do a small cap distributor conversion. But thats it.

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good review! Hope it all works well. Did you already have a cam? Stock heads? Any other changes?
Posted on: 2013/12/16 1:00

GRIS Re: FIRST intake, headers, injectors complete...Initial impressions
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7723 Posts

Quote:

mechguy79 wrote:
G Not a fan of the throttle body. The large singe blade has clearance issues, even after they shaved it a little. Mine still rubs. The linkage also has a catch in it that tends to cause it to hang at 1% open according to the TPS. That was part of my high idle issue. I had to file some, and reposition the throttle return spring.

OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHAT MAKE WAS THAT TB?
Posted on: 2013/12/16 17:40

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

mechguy79 Re: FIRST intake, headers, injectors complete...Initial impressions
Guru Newb
San Angelo, Tx
39 Posts

The throttle body came with the intake when I bought it from FIRST. I believe it is made by FIRST. I'm not 100% on that.
Posted on: 2013/12/17 0:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.