Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
217 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

teebee, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 TPIS Miniram
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I think we may be headed for a little bump in the road for our corvette project. We purchased a TPIS Miniram used for our 90 Corvette restoration project, only to realize that there are three different models; the 1204, 1205, and 1206. Contacted TPIS today and was told I would need a 1204 for a 350 with stock L98 heads. My heads are ported and polished, however they are still stock. After a quick measurement I fear we may have purchased a 1206 model. Is there any hope for this ever working? My concern is the intake sitting on the machined head surface properly obviously as well as causing turburlance on those heads that so much time and money went into porting. Are there any solutions other than re selling the manifold?

DG
Posted on: 2014/1/11 1:29
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: TPIS Miniram
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

1204 port size = 1.23" x 1.99"
1205 port size = 1.28" x 2.09"
1206 port size = 1.31" x 2.21"

I don't know if 113 heads can be ported to 1206 gasket size. I believe the 1206 port size is for the bigger aftermarket heads like 210+.

I can't answer your question as to whether it will work or not. Someone with more experience building engines like Will should chime in soon.
Posted on: 2014/1/11 2:06

Churchkey Re: TPIS Miniram
Guru
69 Posts

Intake air reversion (read severe turbulence) will occur if/when the head port entrance is to small & creates a "shelf" area @ the mating surface..

Depending on the heads being used it may be possible to bevel the intake port to match the manifold exit port size eliminating the reversion area (shelf). Theoretically this change could be beneficial. IE: Large air volume from the intake flowing into a smaller head port may create a positive pressure behind the intake valve producing a better cylinder fill.

Cannot say if the above actually works in practice however my semi-functional brain cell(s) say it is a possibility.

Luck with your project.
Posted on: 2014/1/13 20:55

istter1 Re: TPIS Miniram
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Contact Dave (Engine DR)
http://andengines.com

Search ResultsA & D Engines & Cylinder Head Rebuilding - La Habra, CA

- Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Engines.../134177513299161‎CachedA & D Engines & Cylinder Head Rebuilding, La Habra, CA.
2 likes. Local Business.
Posted on: 2014/1/13 22:42

bogus Re: TPIS Miniram
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am in agreement with Churchkey... The venturi effect at its purest.
Posted on: 2014/1/13 22:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

rklessdriver Re: TPIS Miniram
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

If TPIS won't swap it out for the smaller port one, then you can either try and sell it or just install it as is (provided there are no other fittament problems).

The port mismatch with the cyl head being smaller won't really hurt anything. Not at the kind of power you can make with 113 heads anyway.

Any idea what gasket your 113's are port matched to? It may not be as bad as you think.

Just FYI - Back in the day people ran Rectangular Port Intake manifolds on Oval Port cyl head BBC's all the time and thats a HUGE mis-match. It is well known that they run better than the oval port intakes on oval port heads.... mainly because the rectangluar Port intake itself is a better design (much like Mini Ram v/s TPI).

Yes it would be better if the ports lined up but in the real world it's really not as big of a deal as some make out.
Will
Posted on: 2014/1/14 15:15

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Danspeed1 Re: TPIS Miniram
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

It's a 1206 and now it's up for sale....
Posted on: 2014/1/15 0:57
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
If TPIS won't swap it out for the smaller port one, then you can either try and sell it or just install it as is (provided there are no other fittament problems).

The port mismatch with the cyl head being smaller won't really hurt anything. Not at the kind of power you can make with 113 heads anyway.

Any idea what gasket your 113's are port matched to? It may not be as bad as you think.

Just FYI - Back in the day people ran Rectangular Port Intake manifolds on Oval Port cyl head BBC's all the time and thats a HUGE mis-match. It is well known that they run better than the oval port intakes on oval port heads.... mainly because the rectangluar Port intake itself is a better design (much like Mini Ram v/s TPI).

Yes it would be better if the ports lined up but in the real world it's really not as big of a deal as some make out.
Will

Unfortunately, it's my understanding that when you put a the wrong TPIS unit on the wrong heads you can actually crack the manifold when you tighten it down. In fact this manifold has already been repaired once due to being put on the wrong engine. As far as flow is concerned I too wonder exactly how much the flow is impacted as a result of the ports not exactly matching. If you look at it, it appears as though it's just such a minute difference. I've never actually seen any evidence proving port matching makes a difference and I am honestly wonder if anyone has specifically ever done any tests for this; Before and after Dyno testing.
Posted on: 2014/1/15 1:11
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Churchkey wrote:
Intake air reversion (read severe turbulence) will occur if/when the head port entrance is to small & creates a "shelf" area @ the mating surface..

Depending on the heads being used it may be possible to bevel the intake port to match the manifold exit port size eliminating the reversion area (shelf). Theoretically this change could be beneficial. IE: Large air volume from the intake flowing into a smaller head port may create a positive pressure behind the intake valve producing a better cylinder fill.

Cannot say if the above actually works in practice however my semi-functional brain cell(s) say it is a possibility.

Luck with your project.

Again, very interesting however it's just another example of a topic I feel like I could read about for the next three months and still not understand. There are plenty people online for port matching, and then there's the concept of the venturi effect. Which is right and which is wrong? As usual I'm sure if we turn this into a topic debate there will be critics on both sides. In addition, it's funny that with topics like these it seems as though both sides would turn up evidence proving each case as well. However, I bet not a single person could turn up a set of dyno results proving for or against Port matching the intake to the heads. For those who believe that we are losing power, how much? And for those believe that power could be gained same question.

No matter, the bottom line is that it's my understanding that the intake manifold will crack and will not line up with the bolt holes if it is not the correct intake for the heads. For What we have invested in the purchase of this intake manifold I would certainly prefer to keep it if possible. I could live with the loss of five or 10 hp overall, but my concern of course is that the manifold will leak and/or crack as a result. If someone can prove otherwise please post the information as I would like to keep it!

Also, of course, if anyone has a 1204 intake manifold and would like to trade for the larger 1206 manifold please let me know !!!
Posted on: 2014/1/15 1:23
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Churchkey Re: TPIS Miniram
Guru
69 Posts

There is no way on this earth that port size has anything to do with cracking a manifold.

The cracking that you or the previous owner experienced is a dimensional problem or a quality control issue with the manifold when it was manufactured,

If an intake manifold is installed on an engine that has been decked and/or has had the heads milled the manifold must be machined to match that particular engine. Normally just the front & rear (china wall) seal areas need to be milled off to allow the manifold to fit deeper into the engine valley. Extreme cases require metal removal from all 4 mating surfaces & the proper intake gasket thickness for a proper fit up.

You will do much better with head ports that are bigger than manifold ports = no reversion. If this is a grocery getter just paste anything together. If you want HP @ +6K rpm it needs to be set up properly.

Quick check: Set the manifold on the engine without gaskets & check if the bolt holes line up. If the manifold sits high the end rails need to be machined. If the manifold sits low use shim stock to raise it up. Shim both sides the same amount. When you have it lined up measure the thickness of the shims, add .020 = thickness of intake gasket required.
Good luck
Posted on: 2014/1/15 2:28
Edited by Churchkey on 2014/1/15 3:18:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.