Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
177 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SMC
Sheet Molded Compound.

This is the material that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It's similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The onl...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jonszr1 need help on how to connect my new stereo
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

hi guys sorry I haven't been around in a while had some health stuff and am just getting back on my feet . well I got a kenwood receiver a small alpine amp and some polk speakers. I was wondering if they make a adapter so I could connect the receiver to my wiring without having to hack it up. the speaker and amp connections shouldn't be a problem but not sure how to connect the deck. can anyone help a old fella out ?????
Posted on: 2014/1/18 5:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Do you have bose? Do you plan on reusing the Bose wiring? If so, I don't recommend that, it's pretty thin gauge.

You can get a metra wiring harness adapter for the head unit into the dash connectors, but then run rcas to the amp and new speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. There are several examples in the audio section. It is not a small task, though.
Posted on: 2014/1/18 12:41

istter1 Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Posted on: 2014/1/18 15:21

mechguy79 Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Guru Newb
San Angelo, Tx
39 Posts

I have a bose adapter wiring harness for a 1990 I never used if your interested. Previous owner hacked up the wiring so bad I couldn't use it.

I will try to take some pictures of how I ran my amp wiring. None of my speakers run off the deck.
Posted on: 2014/1/18 16:10

jonszr1 Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

does the 90 interchange with a 92, if so then yes ,I would rather buy off the group than from a store . I am planning on running separate wiring to the speakers. the amp I have is a small one only 45 watts per channel. I just wanted something simple as my hearing isn't too good any way from my days as a ranger .50 cals do that to you
Posted on: 2014/1/18 20:08
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

bogus Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the adaptors won't help with new speakers.

Here is what I would do - and to do it right... it will only take time... it's not hard, just a time suck...

1. remove the old head unit.
2. remove the radio brain unit - this is more than likely in the dash behind the glovebox.
3. there is a harness at the brain unit, use that for power to the new head unit.
4. remove all four speakers. I suggest removing the seats and the carpets. This will make running cable that much easier.
5. remove the battery, drill a hole through the firewall to feed power to the amp. Use 4 gauge and then get an 8 gauge step down for the amp. This way, if you ever want to upgrade, you don't have to replace the main power and ground leads. Most car stereo shops have the tool necessary to put a crimp connector on the 4 gauge. Have them do one end each. Get 15' of both - red and black, to reach the back of the storage area.
6. screw down the new amp on the rear vertical bulkhead. This will keep it in open air and still be out of the way.
7. screw down the power junction boxes and run accordingly
8. run the RCA cable from the head to the amp down the transmission tunnel.
9. Run the power wire under the driverside sill... there is a little notch in there that will dress up the 8 gauge wires very nicely and keep them safe.
10. You will need a big fuse at some point in this process, 100 amp is perfect
11. run the speaker wires from the back to the front, down the passenger side of the car.
12. you will need to hack up the bose speaker boxes to accept your new speakers

I am sure there is more... but this will get you going!
Posted on: 2014/1/18 21:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

andy thanx a bunch for the info. will start on it tomarrow that way if I have a problem I can pray a lot .lol
Posted on: 2014/1/19 0:23
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

mechguy79 Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Guru Newb
San Angelo, Tx
39 Posts

True, true, and true. I did what Bogus said, but I ditched the bose speaker enclosures. There is a guy on corvetteforum who made fiberglass front enclosures you could put in whatever you wanted. I built my own out of MDF (no small task mind you) and squeezed 6x9s in the front. The speakers stick out above the carpet, but don't get in my way.

Sounds killer too.

photo IMG_0519.jpg

photo IMG_0520.jpg

photo IMG_0521.jpg

photo IMG_0524.jpg

photo IMG_0525.jpg

photo IMG_0526.jpg

Quote:

bogus wrote:
the adaptors won't help with new speakers.

Here is what I would do - and to do it right... it will only take time... it's not hard, just a time suck...

1. remove the old head unit.
2. remove the radio brain unit - this is more than likely in the dash behind the glovebox.
3. there is a harness at the brain unit, use that for power to the new head unit.
4. remove all four speakers. I suggest removing the seats and the carpets. This will make running cable that much easier.
5. remove the battery, drill a hole through the firewall to feed power to the amp. Use 4 gauge and then get an 8 gauge step down for the amp. This way, if you ever want to upgrade, you don't have to replace the main power and ground leads. Most car stereo shops have the tool necessary to put a crimp connector on the 4 gauge. Have them do one end each. Get 15' of both - red and black, to reach the back of the storage area.
6. screw down the new amp on the rear vertical bulkhead. This will keep it in open air and still be out of the way.
7. screw down the power junction boxes and run accordingly
8. run the RCA cable from the head to the amp down the transmission tunnel.
9. Run the power wire under the driverside sill... there is a little notch in there that will dress up the 8 gauge wires very nicely and keep them safe.
10. You will need a big fuse at some point in this process, 100 amp is perfect
11. run the speaker wires from the back to the front, down the passenger side of the car.
12. you will need to hack up the bose speaker boxes to accept your new speakers

I am sure there is more... but this will get you going!
Posted on: 2014/1/19 14:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

VERY nicely done! I agree, ditching the blose enclosures is a nice idea. I simply mounted my 6" rounds on top of the speaker grills!!

Also, get some nice quality 16 gauge speaker wire. Get a 50' roll of the stuff... Monster brand, for example. It will hold up well and is easier to deal with.

I owe you the wiring from the radio brain to the head unit for power, memory, antenna and ground.

The receiver module is under the right side of the dash, or it should be. If it is NOT, it is in the storage bin, driver side, with the ABS brain.

The receiver box is about 10" long, and 2" square. It is silver and has a bunch of wires going in and coming out on two or three harness connections.

One harness is important here, and that feeds power to the box and the head unit, the other has the power antenna trip.

The first harness has only a few wires, the ones you want are:

Orange - 12v hot at all times (memory)
Yellow - 12v switched
Black - Ground

This wire should be on a separate harness, for outbound data from the brain to the speakers.

Pink - Antenna control

I think that's it... I am looking over the diagrams in the Helm FSM for my 92, I think it's the same for 1990+... but the Bose is a bitch, because they have extra relays to fire the amps off. I am going to go outside and check my harness.. it's been 12 years since I tapped that action and I don't remember the deets at this time!!

I will update in a couple of hours. I suspect you have more than enough to do without needing this info right now!

Posted on: 2014/1/19 18:41

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

andy , yes I do .I am starting with figuring out how I want to mount the speakers . I almost wish I had the cash to have this done but alas I don't and war stories about installers hacking up guys cars .made me decide to do this my self . I just have to go slow and think it through . well lunch is done so back I go . andy I cant thank .you enough for your help. next time I am in la o owe you a great lunch. I will ck with you before I cut anything
Posted on: 2014/1/19 21:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

not a problem, Brad! Take it easy and don't over think it, either. It's not hard, just a bit intimidating.

Keep track of the bits... and be sure you have the right harness...

If you are not sure, simply photograph the harness or the component.

If you remove all of the bose, like I did, you can actually make coin on it..
Posted on: 2014/1/20 16:57

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

andy hi finally home and all is well for now , I need another under dash 12 volt switched power for my amp. its a small one that only requiresa16 gauge wire . where would be good . thanx so much for all your help.
Posted on: 2014/2/8 2:06

Matatk Re: need help on how to connect my new stereo
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Why aren't you using the remote turn on wire from your head unit?
Posted on: 2014/2/8 3:12

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

guess I am a dummy with this stuff. I will look at the diagrams and maybe a light will come on . to get at the receiver box do I have to remove the dash pad ?????man stuff is tight under there
Posted on: 2014/2/8 3:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

remove the glove box.

that should get you reasonable access.
Posted on: 2014/2/9 1:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.