Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob Clutch hydraulics
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

As some of you know, I've been preparing to deal with a clutch that won't disengage. I've been exploring the replacement of cylinders and bleeding process. But there's also the option of using a hydraulic throwout bearing and eliminating the slave cylinder. I've noticed that some of the throwouts have different lengths of extension.
So my question is this, how do I know which bearing to get? I wanna make sure it has enough range of motion to operate my clutch, but at the same time, is it possible for one to extend too far and cause damage to other components? Finally, is this even an issue or am I over thinking the whole thing?
Posted on: 2015/5/31 11:29

istter1 Re: Clutch hydraulics
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

This is the one on my 87

Attach file:

jpg  keisler tko.jpg (78.74 KB)
5144_556b24da0877e.jpg 612X816 px
Posted on: 2015/5/31 15:13

CorvetteBob Re: Clutch hydraulics
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Obviously, that's not a 4+3. Is that setup being used with a stock clutch/pressure plate/bell housing, etc? I'm wondering if that piece (or other) is a direct fit to the 4+3?
Posted on: 2015/5/31 16:50

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

http://www.mcleodracing.com/

Contact this company they will give you all the information you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyl93SllTQ
Posted on: 2015/5/31 18:20

bogus Re: Clutch hydraulics
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Bob - something to consider... how many miles on your car? Is the OD working right?

The 4+3 has a life... and the problem now is finding good folks to fix the damned thing... and some parts are getting hard to find, IIRC. This is why I am a fan of the TKO 5spds.

They are available as the TKO500 (500 ft-lbs of torque) or the TKO600 (600 ft-lbs) and with either .64 or .67 OD (IIRC).

They are not cheap, but they are a serious - and I mean SERIOUS - upgrade. The 4+3 was a Borg Warner Super T-10 with an OD unit (essentially a 1 spd Power Glide) attached to the tail shaft. The TKO boxes are the latest in modern, internal shifting manuals. The T-10 is a leftover from 1962... it's that archaic... external shifting rods, little or no options to enhance the shift linkage... ick-poo. And it's complex.

You can, with some effort, retrofit a T5 5spd into the C4. But the TKO boxes are already fit to the C4.

I am not sure about hydraulic throw-out bearings for the 4+3, but if Steve gave you that info, I am sure it's right!!

Depending on your goals, I would either get a new master/slave, bench bleed it and install... or consider the TKO upgrade, if you goal is the enhance the cars overall performance, like Steve has (383).

The upgrades Steve has done to his has raised that car up a number of pegs... seriously... the next big upgrade for his would be retrofitting an LSx engine controller to it. That'll freak out the smog check ppl... heh heh heh...
Posted on: 2015/5/31 18:58

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Bob - something to consider... how many miles on your car? Is the OD working right?

The 4+3 has a life... and the problem now is finding good folks to fix the damned thing... and some parts are getting hard to find, IIRC. This is why I am a fan of the TKO 5spds.

They are available as the TKO500 (500 ft-lbs of torque) or the TKO600 (600 ft-lbs) and with either .64 or .67 OD (IIRC).

They are not cheap, but they are a serious - and I mean SERIOUS - upgrade. The 4+3 was a Borg Warner Super T-10 with an OD unit (essentially a 1 spd Power Glide) attached to the tail shaft. The TKO boxes are the latest in modern, internal shifting manuals. The T-10 is a leftover from 1962... it's that archaic... external shifting rods, little or no options to enhance the shift linkage... ick-poo. And it's complex.

You can, with some effort, retrofit a T5 5spd into the C4. But the TKO boxes are already fit to the C4.

The super Ram was great. Putting in the new exhaust system this summer.

LSx engine controller was next on list
What a mind reader Andy

I am not sure about hydraulic throw-out bearings for the 4+3, but if Steve gave you that info, I am sure it's right!!

Depending on your goals, I would either get a new master/slave, bench bleed it and install... or consider the TKO upgrade, if you goal is the enhance the cars overall performance, like Steve has (383).

The upgrades Steve has done to his has raised that car up a number of pegs... seriously... the next big upgrade for his would be retrofitting an LSx engine controller to it. That'll freak out the smog check ppl... heh heh heh...

Wow having problem with sight. When I got the TKO 600 it was to handle the 383 Stroker the Engine Dr. Built for me
next step is to install LS exhaust
and Andy the mind reader install LSx engine controller

Attach file:

jpeg  20131224_123046.jpeg (250.70 KB)
5144_556b5d6e3c090.jpeg 1200X1600 px

jpg  IMG_20140927_184745.jpg (125.06 KB)
5144_556b5d9a7cbe4.jpg 720X405 px
Posted on: 2015/5/31 19:17
Edited by istter1 on 2015/5/31 19:56:24

bogus Re: Clutch hydraulics
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

what are we looking at? The meter has been blinded by the flash...
Posted on: 2015/5/31 19:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

the super ram
Posted on: 2015/5/31 19:48

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

the super ram
Posted on: 2015/5/31 19:57

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I know everything you guys are saying is right. There's just no room in the budget. I'm prolly gonna hafta rob my 401k to put a new a/c system in the Pallacial double wide this year.
Posted on: 2015/6/1 0:15

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

[quote]
bogus wrote:

Depending on your goals, I would either get a new master/slave, bench bleed it and install... [quote]

The OD was working the last time I tried it. That was a while back, and the last time the clutch would disengage.
Maybe you're right, maybe the best thing right now is to just pony up for new cylinders, bleed 'em, and put 'em in.
Posted on: 2015/6/1 1:28

CentralCoaster Re: Clutch hydraulics
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, you don't need it.

I was looking into hydraulic bearings only as an alternative to the ZF6 pull clutch and crappy bearing design.

The stock 4+3 hydraulics are foolproof, just get some working cylinders in there.

If getting all new parts, just bench bleed the entire assembly, hose and all, and then install it on the car.
Posted on: 2015/6/1 2:55

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

To give closure on this...

I went to autozone and got a slave cylinder. Before installing, I checked the screw size for the heat shield and found the OEM screw was 1/4-20 and the new took a 6 mm screw. Nice to know before you get under the car.
Also, and this is the big one, I have some speed bleeders from help here at the double-wide and low and behold, the bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder and the brake calipers are the same! HELP part number 12706.I also went back to the " Zone" and got part number 66223 "HELP" copper washers for the hyd line to the slave. I then bled the unit according to The FSM and wowie-zowie! It works!

Posted on: 2015/6/13 20:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.