Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C5
Abbreviation for the 5th generation of Corvettes built from 1997-2004....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

95Vert 95 Convertible Issues
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Hello, as just posted in chat, I just got ahold of a great 95 convertible with about 64,000 miles. Very nice car by the way.

On the way home I noticed a couple of things that I'm hoping I can get answers to so here goes.

1. Cruise control did not work. Instead of a 10A fuse in the box, there was a 30A fuse. Without tools, I could not pull it out to check it but I suspect its also gone. I wonder what genius did that. It would therefore be an electrical problem. Or is it vacuum actuated? I seem to recall a post where someone was asking about a vacuum hose going through the firewall.

2. The passenger side seat isn't being activated by the center console switches. Fuse again? I seem to recall someone saying that the motors could be gone? Funny thing is the mechanic said the seat was working. Yes, I did move the switch PS.

3. On pictures of other vettes for sale, I saw a plaque that gave the engine specs. I think its attached to the cover over the cupholders. Mine doesn't have that. Was it an option? Where do I get it...dealer? Used?

4. Finally, some nimnod or dog scratched the edge of the console pieces, both vertical and horizontal. You know, that rubbery covered stuff. Used available?

Finally, who are our used suppliers? Is there a Chevy dealer we work through that gives us discounts? Most other sites have these dealers, but I thought I'd ask about Chevy parts/dealer since I haven't seen any recommendations.

Ralf
Posted on: 2008/6/2 1:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 95 Convertible Issues
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

1. Check that fuse... there is supposed to be a fuse puller tool on the fuse door lid. But I would bet it's a bad vacuum line.

2. The seats are controlled by a common switch, IIRC, so I would make sure the selector is pointed at the passengers side. If the seats don't make any noise, that's electrical... if they make grinding noises, that's bad and very mechanical. No parts exist to repair the seat rails, you have to replace them.

3. http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=32314&dept_id=1597. It's an aftermarket only part.

4. www.vette2vette.com for used. www.maxxwrench.com may have new, I don't know.

Finally, you need to order the Helm Factory Service Manual. It will help a TON. www.helminc.com or ebay... I found this one on eBay.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 2:06

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

95Vert Re: 95 Convertible Issues
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

1. No fuse puller. What a pain. 30A in a 10A slot...dangerous. I'll check what I can find with the vacuum line.

2. No funny noises, so I'll check the fuses and electrical fixtures.

3. Here I thought it was a factory part. Thanks!

4. Helm...I've got a 4 part set for my 93 GMC. I just love all these manuals on the shelf! Thanks for the link. I'll be looking carefully at where the auction goes. Thanks also for the other links. It will get me started!
Posted on: 2008/6/2 2:26

bogus Re: 95 Convertible Issues
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Yea, check the electrics. Make sure that the selector switch from left to right isn't in the drivers position!

I am surprised that the "inspectors" didn't check the fuse box... something I will add to the buyers guide.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 4:32

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

1Fast04Vert Re: 95 Convertible Issues
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

30A fuse is way big, if it isn't blown I would pull it out anyways, you sure don't want an in dash fire. There is an "F" shaped vac connector under the pass side fuel rail cover that is famous for breaking, which can cause lack of cruise and electronic AC control.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 12:46

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Fuses were ok. Changed from the 30A to a 10A but still no cruise control. This is important to me as when I take the car to Georgia, its an 8 hour trip.

I've checked underhood. The box for the cruise control is the ASR(?) embossed one? Its got, what look like hard plastic lines or tubes coming out. Do not look like vacuum lines. If a new battery was installed, is it possible any of the lines could have been pinched, injured? I ask because the battery was replaced and I actually need to adjust that body panel as it is sitting crooked.

Passenger side seat motor is moving mid range, slowly, but seat stops at the extremes of travel, both ends. The lumbar switches don't do anything except of a click/noise initially on pressing the switch. This is on the passenger side. If the DS/PS switch is moved to DS, same thing happens...the lumbar switch makes noise on the passenger side. Could the switch be fried?

Don't have a helms yet. Does it cover the seats?

Ralf
Posted on: 2008/6/3 1:43

1Fast04Vert Re: 95 Convertible Issues
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

[quote]
95Vert wrote:
Fuses were ok. Changed from the 30A to a 10A but still no cruise control. This is important to me as when I take the car to Georgia, its an 8 hour trip.

I've checked underhood. The box for the cruise control is the ASR(?) embossed one? Its got, what look like hard plastic lines or tubes coming out. Do not look like vacuum lines. If a new battery was installed, is it possible any of the lines could have been pinched, injured? I ask because the battery was replaced and I actually need to adjust that body panel as it is sitting crooked.

****The cruise control servo is directly above the battery, just forward of the PCM. One vac line coming to it from engine vac. The other line goes to a vac switch on the brake pedal. When the brake is depressed the switch on the pedal opens and release the vac, thus de-activating the cruise. Check to be sure you have vac going to the servo, and that the witch on the pedal is properly adjusted and not staying open. Body panel adjustment is easy, just two bolts on the bottom of the panel, one of them is slotted.

Passenger side seat motor is moving mid range, slowly, but seat stops at the extremes of travel, both ends. The lumbar switches don't do anything except of a click/noise initially on pressing the switch. This is on the passenger side. If the DS/PS switch is moved to DS, same thing happens...the lumbar switch makes noise on the passenger side. Could the switch be fried?

****there is a little spring clip under the front edge of the seat cushion. Unclip it and pull the cushion up, forward and out. I would bet there is just 'crud' under there jamming the seat track. The air pump for the sports seats is under there as well, nothing under the driver's seat. It sounds like the switch is ok, something else is going on, but easy to check with the seat cushion out.

Don't have a helms yet. Does it cover the seats?

****YES!

ps--You are right, don't turn the ASR off until you have a big empty parking lot. Hope this helps. Oops-forgot, the cables coming in and out of the ASR are your throttle cables. There is also an easy way to check for full throttle response, but we will save that for another time, I dink I am getting carpal tunnel.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 12:44

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

****The cruise control servo is directly above the battery, just forward of the PCM. One vac line coming to it from engine vac. The other line goes to a vac switch on the brake pedal. When the brake is depressed the switch on the pedal opens and release the vac, thus de-activating the cruise. Check to be sure you have vac going to the servo, and that the witch on the pedal is properly adjusted and not staying open. Body panel adjustment is easy, just two bolts on the bottom of the panel, one of them is slotted.

Cruise Control:
Based on this analysis, need a little help from someone that's done it, or that has a Helm...please. I don't have mine yet.

How do I test for vacuum going to the servo? If there is no vacuum, what do I replace?

How do I adjust the switch at the brake pedal? Where is the switch? Do I take off the cover under the dash to see where this thing is? I don't want to mess with the brake light switch accidentally, though I guess I should see the vacuum line going into the switch from the firewall.
Posted on: 2008/6/5 15:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.