Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SMC
Sheet Molded Compound.

This is the material that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It's similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The onl...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I am having a bit*h of a time with this Transgo Shift Kit install on the 4L60E. Transgo shift kits are a PITA to install, especially when they have been modified. Seems as though parts were missing, and directions have been incomplete. These are some of this issues I have been dealing with. In all fairness the source I purchased the shift kit from has been working to make the proper adjustments and corrections, but I just hate being the Guinea pig. I think I have just had it with this project!

Without future complaining, I present my list of questions.

I was told to torque the front pump bolts to 25ft/lbs. When one snapped, I went back online to do a little research and learned they needed to be 18, not 25!! Another mistake. Now, my question... there are like 7 bolts. 6 are the same size. One is slightly longer, and but a few of the center threads are thin. Which of the 6 holes does this bolt go into!?!?!?!?!?

I have the valve body bolted down but I am having a bitch of a time getting the the shift linkage back onto the shaft that goes into the valve body. Any tips or tricks??

Thats it for today... stay tuned, more questions tomorrow.
DG
Posted on: 2008/6/11 4:56
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Pete K... where are you???

Hello, Pete???
Posted on: 2008/6/11 4:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

toptechx6 Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

I've had the valve body out of my 4l60 many times so I'll take a crack at helping until the Master, Mr. Kane checks in. The link for the shift linkage should be attached to the valve before bolting the valve body to the case, it rotates as the valve body is raised which then locks it place in the groove in the manual valve.
I have not had my front pump out but from your description I wonder if you have stretched one of the pump bolts when you over torqued them? Might be a good idea at this point to replace them all to be safe.
I agree that the TranGo shift kit is a bitch to install, Mr. Kane however insists they are the best available and I trust his judgment. Try not to get discouraged, you will get it.
Posted on: 2008/6/11 9:00

Danspeed1 Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Ahhhh!!! So there is no way of putting the linkage back on without the valve body off. I was so careful to make sure all the checkballs were in the right place and all the bolts were torqued to the right spec!!!

Its possible I did stretch one of the bolts. I will head over to GM and see what they say as far as part #'s.

Dan
Posted on: 2008/6/11 14:55
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

PeteK Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
I've had the valve body out of my 4l60 many times so I'll take a crack at helping until the Master, Mr. Kane checks in. The link for the shift linkage should be attached to the valve before bolting the valve body to the case, it rotates as the valve body is raised which then locks it place in the groove in the manual valve.
I have not had my front pump out but from your description I wonder if you have stretched one of the pump bolts when you over torqued them? Might be a good idea at this point to replace them all to be safe.
I agree that the TranGo shift kit is a bitch to install, Mr. Kane however insists they are the best available and I trust his judgment. Try not to get discouraged, you will get it.

Sorry for the late reply. I was traveling.

I do not love the transgo as much as I did a year ago.
They do not have a separate kit for 93 only, and they should.
I do agree that the pump bolts should be scrapped. GM sells them last time I checked. I suggest changing them all, and torquing to 18 ft lbs.
I do not remember off the top of my head where the long bolt goes.
I normally drop all the bolts in the v/b holes( without threading them), and see if any sit higher, or lower in relation to the rest. This is a quick way to tell if they are in the correct hole.
Posted on: 2008/6/11 14:56

toptechx6 Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
Ahhhh!!! So there is no way of putting the linkage back on without the valve body off. I was so careful to make sure all the checkballs were in the right place and all the bolts were torqued to the right spec!!!

Its possible I did stretch one of the bolts. I will head over to GM and see what they say as far as part #'s.

Dan

Now you have some idea why I've had the valve body out of my car so often.
I can't swear there is no way to install the linkage once the valve body is attached, but I don't think there is. I just checked my parts CD and it shows 7 bolts for the pump, all are part number 8673596 so one of yours must be stretched.
The check balls actually stay in place fairly well as long as you keep the valve body level, it is important to torque them correctly.
Posted on: 2008/6/11 15:24

aapple Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Guru Newb
Duncanville, Texas
17 Posts

All of the pump bolts are the same. If you twisted one off, then it was already fatigued anyway. You'll strip the threads out of the case before breaking a good bolt by over-tightening it, unless the case has had heli-coils installed in the bolt holes.

The manual valve linkage is next to impossible to install with the valve body bolted on...it should be guided into the valve as you set the VB down onto the case...great design, eh?

As far as VB bolts(even tho you didn't mention them in your original post), there are three longer ones that go in specific locations, and they have 8mm heads, compared to the 10mm heads on the rest of the VB bolts.
The three longer, 8mm headed bolts go on the passenger side, rear of the VB. You'll notice the VB has an "L" shaped corner in that area...this is where the three longer bolts go. If you mistakenly put one of the longer bolts in the center area of the VB, it will go all the way thru the case, and lock down the sun shell..not a pretty sight if you try to drive it like this. I could post a pic if it would help...

hth

btw...TransGo kits basically suc, IMHO, unless you go with the "Reprograming" kits. Granted, some of the specific trans kits fix certain known issues, but as far as just wanting one to hit a little harder, it's not worth the time. Superior Products makes waaay easier to install kits, for the same results...imo...but what do I know?
Posted on: 2008/6/11 17:32
C3VR

Danspeed1 Re: Need a hand - 96 4L60E
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for the tips... I will without a doubt replace the bolts.....

And I will pull this Mother F*ing valve body off once more to install the shift linkage.

Thanks for clearing it up,

Dan
Posted on: 2008/6/12 4:39
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.