Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mouse Motor
GM production small block engines were known as Mouse motors.

Early SBC

4.3L 265ci - 1955 thru 1956
4.6L 283ci - 1957 thru 1962
4.9L 302ci - ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Josh Anyone degreed a cam with the stock timing chain on an L98?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Comp Cams is telling me that my stock L98 timing chain has advance ground into it, and that dot to dot isn't really a true zero degree install.

I find that a little odd, but it doesn't seem like it would be impossible. I don't have a degree wheel, so I don't have a way to verify one way or the other. Has anyone else ever tested a stock timing set?
Posted on: 2008/6/13 0:35

FATED Re: Anyone degreed a cam with the stock timing chain on an L98?
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

We may be on different pages but when I degreed my LT4 hotcam it was about 1 degree advanced. That is the cam was ground that way not the chain or sprockets.
Posted on: 2008/6/13 3:05

Josh Re: Anyone degreed a cam with the stock timing chain on an L98?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

So what was your final intake centerline?
Posted on: 2008/6/14 0:47

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

I am sorry but I did not see your posted question. But at any rate, I don't remember. It was over a year ago.
Posted on: 2008/6/14 13:06

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

Also if what I'm thinking is what you ask. You can't degree it with the stock chain set up because you need an indexing sprocket. One jump of the chain is too much change in timing. At one time you could get offset keyways though but they are prone to shear.
Posted on: 2008/6/15 3:08

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Quote:

FATED wrote:
Also if what I'm thinking is what you ask. You can't degree it with the stock chain set up because you need an indexing sprocket. One jump of the chain is too much change in timing. At one time you could get offset keyways though but they are prone to shear.

No, degreeing the cam is just measuring it to see if it matches the cam card. If you end up needing to adjust it, then you do need an adjustable timing gear set.

I bought a Comp Cam for my 91. I bought Cloyes double roller replacement timing set from a local auto parts store. Comp Cams is telling me that the stock timing gears have retard built into them and the dot to dot is not actually zero. I don't have any way of checking that because I don't have a degree wheel or dial indicator.

If I could actually measure the intake lobe centerline, with the stock timing set, then I would know exactly what the deal was. Like I said though, I don't have the tools.

I ordered a wheel, dial indicator, magnetic base, and piston stop from Summit earlier today. Once all that shows up, I'll measure everything and post back.

Hopefully, Comp Cams is wrong and I can use the stock replacement timing set. If they are right, then I'll have to buy a timing set from an after market company. But I won't know until I check it; or if someone posts between now and then with a definitive answer.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 4:07

fnsblum Re: Anyone degreed a cam with the stock timing chain on an L98?
Guru Newb
Nothern Utah
32 Posts

I don't doubt what Comp told you is true except they were talking about the crank gear. Back in the 70s a lot of full size Chevy sedans came with a timing gear that was retarded. I want to say 2 degrees but don't quote me. This was done strictly for mileage because we were in a supposed fuel shortage. One of the popular mods was to remove the gear, turn it over, grind a bevel on it and reinstall. This was well published mod at the time. The replacement timing sets at the time were not retarded. Later! Frank
Posted on: 2008/6/18 3:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

My tools should arrive today in the mail. I should know by tonight what the deal is.

That's interesting about the older cars having 2 degrees retard built into the crank gear.
Posted on: 2008/6/18 16:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.