Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
324 user(s) are online (259 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Grand Sport
RPO Z16.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, from 1963.

All were...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

90EXPVette Replacing Power Brake Booster
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

How hard of a job is it? I'm pretty sure mine is going out. First time I hit the brakes it's normal, if I hit them again within a minute or so I get a hard pedal and can hear air pressure being lost. I can still stop but it takes a lot more force to do it.

Anyone done it?

Thanks,
Posted on: 2006/7/12 13:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I have never changed one ina C4 but have on other cars. It was not a bad job at all. Chances are though that you will have to bleed the brakes all the way around after you change it out. I don't think you can get the booster out without taking the master cylinder out first.

You may also want to check the ABS system for leaks too. Once they go bad, they can do some crazy stuff with your pedal. Its doing it to my Grand Am right now. I will have anice pedal and then all of a sudden it "gives" and doesn't want to stop :shaking:
Posted on: 2006/7/12 13:44

brut RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

What year was it again? My manual advises that you DON'T have to remove brake lines..so no bleeding will be necessary.
Posted on: 2006/7/12 15:38

90EXPVette RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

It's a 1990. I have the shop manual at home but of course it's normally not as easy as the shop manual suggests. Just looking at the replacement parts it's seem that there's something special about the 90-91 booster (at least OEM) $300! I'd like to use the metal aftermarket for half the price if I can!
Posted on: 2006/7/12 17:25

bogus RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would use long extentions and swivel sockets to reach up to the mounting bolts!

I don't see why the metal aftermarket won't work. If it says it fits, so be it.
Posted on: 2006/7/12 20:07

RacerX RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
Guru Newb
3 Posts

I'm glad to be a new member of the forum. My name is Brad and I'm a Technical Sergeant in the Airforce stationed at Dyess AFB, TX.

I have a 92 vert that I just changed the pads on and bled. My pedal isn't super hard but I have to put a little more effort than I would expect to come to a complete stop. I have the factory manual but it is kind of vague. Do you think it's the booster or just air in the system?
Posted on: 2006/10/25 2:46

Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

Hi Brad and welcome! I suspect that you might have a leak in the booster. I know now that mine had been leaking for some time. It's super easy to stop the Vette now. Do you hear any air hissing when you depress the brake pedal?
Posted on: 2006/10/25 12:26

Guru Newb
3 Posts

Quote:
Hi Brad and welcome! I suspect that you might have a leak in the booster. I know now that mine had been leaking for some time. It's super easy to stop the Vette now. Do you hear any air hissing when you depress the brake pedal?

No I don't but I really feel that must be it because my manual troubleshooting guide is pointing in that direction and it is just too hard to stop. I am a pretty good mechanic and I've changed a lot of parts on my vette. Do you think it is worth it to open it up and try to repair it or just replace the booster?
Posted on: 2006/10/26 0:12

Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

If you're going to go through the trouble to take it off you might as well replace it with something with a warranty. Since you're no stranger to working on your Vette this is really a pretty simple job.

Brake lines don't have to be removed, basically it's just unbolting the master cylinder as a unit and then crawling under the dash to unbolt the booster. The left side is pretty easy the one on the right is a serious PITA. If you can find a snake extension that will make the job a lot easier. This is a great excuse to have a couple of buddies over to give you a hand...again it's a pretty straightforward job...but that one bolt we took turns on to get it off and on.
Posted on: 2006/10/26 12:03

red_johnny RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:
If you're going to go through the trouble to take it off you might as well replace it with something with a warranty. Since you're no stranger to working on your Vette this is really a pretty simple job.

Brake lines don't have to be removed, basically it's just unbolting the master cylinder as a unit and then crawling under the dash to unbolt the booster. The left side is pretty easy the one on the right is a serious PITA. If you can find a snake extension that will make the job a lot easier. This is a great excuse to have a couple of buddies over to give you a hand...again it's a pretty straightforward job...but that one bolt we took turns on to get it off and on.
Posted on: 2006/10/26 21:24

Guru Newb
3 Posts

Quote:
[quote]If you're going to go through the trouble to take it off you might as well replace it with something with a warranty. Since you're no stranger to working on your Vette this is really a pretty simple job.

:withstupid]

I went out and took a real good look at the booster and fixed the problem. My booster check valve has 3 points to connect a vacuum line.
Two are big and one is small at the top. I took the hose that goes to intake and connected it to the center point and covered the other with a plug. The little one is uncovered and sucks in vacuum for assist. I drove it and tested it last night. My breaks work fine and no hard pedal. Do any of you have this same check valve on your cars and is that the right way? It must be because my brakes work great and no vaccuum noise.
Posted on: 2006/10/27 17:20

red_johnny RE:Replacing Power Brake Booster
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Hmmm, I will have to take a look but it sounds like you fixed it. Hopefully that was it.
Posted on: 2006/10/27 18:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.