Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

SS409 torque converter replacement
Guru Newb
Westfield,MA
4 Posts

Looking for suggestions on a replacement torque converter for my '87. I was thinking about using a S10 truck unit that has the same 140 K factor. Problem is no one seems to sell new ones anymore. Every one I've found is listed as "rem" (p/n 24202310). Pete K? any ideas?

I just joined this forum today. I see alot of familar names here. I was wondering where everyone went.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 1:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: torque converter replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

welcome aboard!

I don't know what to recommend... I know how to replace them, just not how to select the right one.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 2:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

dan0617 Re: torque converter replacement
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

PeteK will for sure be the guy to answer your question.

I can help maybe just a little. 700R4 torque converters are not all interchangeable, early ones had a different amount of splines than late ones (27 vs 30 I think, but don't quote me on the numbers). Plus you would want to make sure the stall speed is a pretty close match to the combo you are running. Our vettes have a very low stall speed converter from the factory. You can bump the stall speed up some to get a performance bump but some people do not like the characteristics of a higher than stock stall.

If you just simply have a bad converter and need a replacement for cheap, I can help you out if the '87 in interchangeable with the '89. (again, PeteK can give us the answer for sure). I have my stock '89 vette converter that worked perfectly when removed about a year and a half ago. It has 96,000 miles on it. If it will work for you, I'll give it to you if you pay shipping. I'm in Florida with the family this week but will be home next Tuesday and can ship it out then if you need it.

Also, I think the "rem" in the one you are looking at means remanufactured, which really isn't a problem. Most large parts like that are all remanufactured now. They are prettymuch good as new usually. (Unless you are buying a "rem" alternator from Autozone, then all bets are off!)

Lastly, this would be a good opportunity for you to go up to a 1800 to 2200 stall converter (if you are still a TPI intake car), and get a nice performance bump and not hurt the MPG much at all. PeteK can recommend you a good converter and hook you up with a good one for a cheap price should you decide to go that route. Shoot him a private message.

Welcome to the Guru!
Posted on: 2009/3/18 13:41

CFI-EFI Re: torque converter replacement
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

That is good advice and a great offer from dan0617. Only the 1984, and I'm not sure all of them had the 27 spline input shaft. For sure 1985 and up converters are 30 spline and interchangeable at least up up the 4L60E trans. Stall speeds in the 2400 rpm to 3000 rpm range aren't too bad on the street.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/18 14:37

SS409 Re: torque converter replacement
Guru Newb
Westfield,MA
4 Posts

Dan,

Just wanted to let you know the converter arrived today. Thanks again for a great deal!
Posted on: 2009/4/16 23:39

PeteK Re: torque converter replacement
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I am sorry I missed this thread guys. Work has me traveling alot, and it got by me.
Posted on: 2009/4/17 1:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.