Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (254 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Grand Sport
RPO Z16.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, from 1963.

All were...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 2 (3)
 Register To Post

JeffK Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Still running good?

Everyone always says that Bosch O2 sensors are crappy. I've had one in mine for almost a year (it only ran for half that time) but anyway, I haven't noticed any issues.

I'm gonna have to put this on my todo list.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 20:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Jeff - still running well. I used a bosch 3-wire. I've personally not had problems with bosch, but I'll switch to NGK if a problem arises.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/2 23:02

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Matthew, for the O2 sensor did you use that part #13190 or a different one, of course none of the big autoparts places around have that one.

Going to try to do this tonight since I have the Y pipe out.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted on: 2011/8/24 20:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Jeff - that's the one that I used. It's a universal style so I'm surprised you can't find it locally. I ordered mine offline because it was cheaper, I never even looked at the parts stores. But I did buy the adapter at Pep Boys with no problem.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/24 21:48

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I went with the 13077 sensor. It had male connection which is what I needed. $45 at O'reilly.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 21:56

-=Jeff=- Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

So how's the car running Matt?
Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:13
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

-=Jeff=- wrote:
So how's the car running Matt?

Car is running very well. Still tinkering with the trans governor adjustments. I haven't pulled the dizzy to inspect the new gear yet. I will do that at the next oil change.

One word of caution about some info I posted before regarding the heated O2 sensor. Everything seemed to be running fine after I installed it. I used the fuel pump power wire after the relay because it was the thickest gauge and I figured it could handle the current draw. Like I said, it seemed fine. But the other night I ran about 6 back to back WOT runs to test the trans governor. After I was turning around, the car died. I was able to restart it immediately, but it threw a SES code. I drove home carefully and pulled the code, it was a 54, which is a fuel pump circuit code. It has never thrown this code in 4 years. I don't think it is a coincidence.

The solution is what I should have done in the first place. I ordered a relay kit that should arrive soon. I bought a 5 prong but will use it as a 4 prong. It will use the ignition switch from the fuel pump circuit since that will draw very little power. Power will come from the distribution circuit behind the battery. Ground from a close source, and then the accessory power wire will run to the heated O2. This will eliminate power draw from the fuel pump circuit.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/29 23:16

RickAnthony Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

The solution is what I should have done in the first place. I ordered a relay kit that should arrive soon. I bought a 5 prong but will use it as a 4 prong. It will use the ignition switch from the fuel pump circuit since that will draw very little power. Power will come from the distribution circuit behind the battery. Ground from a close source, and then the accessory power wire will run to the heated O2. This will eliminate power draw from the fuel pump circuit.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Matthew

Sounds like a good idea!
-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:21
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

corvettelou Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Guru Newb
17 Posts

Matt, thought of you will reading chevy hi perf mag. nov. in Q&A about trick to help lub. dist. cam gear.
Posted on: 2011/9/4 0:32

mistaben Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Senior Guru
141 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Got a chance to tinker tonight. The remote starter switch is a nifty tool to have!

So here's the deal. I've got good news and I've got bad news.

Good news:

I found the problem.

Bad news:

I don't like the problem.

Same issue as before, the distributor drive gear. This one lasted 1000-1500 miles.

Distributor is not bottoming out, I have play in the shaft when installed. I have not checked the distributor to check the tolerances.

I have read that cam walk will cause this. As far as I can tell, I still have the chinsy factory timing cover on my motor. My next step is to pull everything off the front of the motor, pull the timing cover, and check the endplay. If I get some, I'll be installing a cam button and cast aluminum or billet timing cover.

Unfortunately, that's a lot of work and a lot of time that I just don't have right now. Plus I need to pick up a dial indicator and magnetic base (NBD, Harbor Freight!).

It might be a while but I'll keep the post updated when I can. Looks like no summer toy for a while.

Matthew

i haven't read this whole thread yet... but it sounds like it was a "fun" time you had! :/

.... is there anyways to check for cam walk on a normal engine? pull distributor and see if the cam shaft will slide up and down with a long handled screwdriver or something similar?
Posted on: 2011/9/4 12:10

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

corvettelou wrote:
Matt, thought of you will reading chevy hi perf mag. nov. in Q&A about trick to help lub. dist. cam gear.

Thanks, Lou. Still working on shift points and might make it to the track before the end of the season.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/9/4 14:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

mistaben wrote:

i haven't read this whole thread yet... but it sounds like it was a "fun" time you had! :/

.... is there anyways to check for cam walk on a normal engine? pull distributor and see if the cam shaft will slide up and down with a long handled screwdriver or something similar?

Fun is one way to describe it

The endplay will be forward/aft movement so you would stick a long handled screwdriver in the dizzy hole and see if it moves back and forth...it shouldn't. There is a thrust plate on the block under the timing cover for roller cams. Best way to check is before the motor is installed, unfortunately that's not always an option.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/9/4 14:11

« 1 2 (3)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.