Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Saw another C4, got me thinking
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

There's a 1993 for sale near me. I was kind of watching it, it's at a dealer. The dealer has dropped the price $1200 in the past month or two.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail. ... egId%3D28705&aff=national

It's black rose, the dealer doesn't get it, and called it "red rose". I kind of have a thing for black rose. The first Vette I was going to buy was a 92 black rose, but the deal fell through.

So now I see this one, and I'm thinking: That dealer seems to be getting antsy, I might be able to work something for my car. I'd give him my car and $3k for his, not sure I'd go much more than that.
Interesting to me, I just had to take my C4 in for a smog check today, we do it once every 2 years here in Ohio. It passed with flying colors. The kid at the e-check place told me "nice car". And was surprised to find out it was an 87. He said it looked much newer.

Alright, help me out here. Should I go seriously look at this car, or should I just be happy with a nice 87?
Posted on: 2009/10/18 0:12

bogus Re: Saw another C4, got me thinking
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Well... that is one strange bird.

It has to be the last cloth seated C4 ever made. It also has manual (C60) climate controls and bose cassette. No power seats...

A lot of that means they won't break and the lack of those features is REALLY rare.

My only wish? It was a 6spd. If it was a six speed I would be on it like stink on shit.

65k tells me it is nearing opti #1. Not a big deal, but it will cost $$. We can talk.

I really like black rose, too... and their price is a touch high. Drive it and CARFAX it (CARFAX is a sponsor here).
Posted on: 2009/10/18 0:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Saw another C4, got me thinking
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Rare, that's funny. I know what you mean, but it's also the most over used word in Corvette for sale ads!

I didn't notice the manual climate control, but as you said, less to break. I don't need digital climate control, would never miss it. Power seats are kind of nice, but once I set the position I almost never move the seats. And I like the cloth seats. But then, I'm rare.

I agree, a 6 speed would be nice, but I think a4 has it's advantages.
Posted on: 2009/10/18 0:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

In this case, I mean it when I say "rare."

I agree, everyone thinks their Corvette is rare, and asks prices accordingly... but most Corvette owners are smoking crak. There is a guy around here selling a (potentially) nice 72 coupe. However, he is asking #1 money for a #3 car, just because it is "rare" with "low mileage." IT also has $10k worth of body issues.

15,898 cp + 5692 vrt = 21,590 Vettes made for MY 1993.
20,626 had power drivers seat
20,398 came with leather seats of some sort.
19,550 had electronic AC
935 had black rose

Estimate those percentages and you are down to nearly one of a kind. I am guessing here, but I doubt there are no more than 1 or 2 like that.

Several years ago, a friend ordered a 1995 Z28, coupe. STRIPPED! No options, 6spd, 1LE package, ABS, AC delete, no t-top. It was finally built in Feb 1995. A year later, I was at a Carmax lot in Richmond VA. There was another white Z28, 6spd coupe... STRIPPED, with ABS, 1LE and no AC. I am betting money it was built at the same time.
Posted on: 2009/10/18 0:59

BillH Re: Saw another C4, got me thinking
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Looks like a nice car. I too think the price is high, I see a lot of 92 to 94 C4s for less around here.
That being said, I looked at 25 C4s before I bought my 92. My car had 64k, 6 speed, 2 tops and was in excellent condition, close to mint for the mileage, I paid $12,5k four years ago, which was $1,500 - $2,000 higher that some but, I got a really good car.
Check this car out really hard, especially take a flashlite and look under the waterpump for any leakage signs (all the while telling the dealer that opti's are very expensive), may help to reduce the price. An MSD opti is $495 + install and isn't bad to DYI, just takes a while.

Just my opinion but if I could move up for like $2k, I'd do it.

There's nothing rare on the car, but who cares?
Cloth stays cooler in the summer.
I have manual A/C, wouldn't want the electronic.

On my 92, from 64k to 80k, one opti, one alternator,$145 and nothing else.

935 Black Rose cars is 1/2 the 92 production.
Gotta be one of the best colors, I get a lot of people asking me if it's a custom paint color:

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0477.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/10/18 13:19

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Yeah, I can't help it, I'm a fan of black rose.

If they'd do it for $2k I'd go for it. Problem is, the early C4 isn't going for any money now. A local dealer has an 86 with 30k, yellow, and he's asking $11k. I'm going to look at the car, but I don't think he'd go for $2k. I think $3k would be pushing it for him, but I won't do more.
Posted on: 2009/10/18 16:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Bill,

Come on... "nothing rare on this car?" How can you say that? Didn't you read the stats I posted?

If you take the entire production of 1993 Corvettes, 95% had leather and a power drivers seat - this has neither - and 90% (or near enough) had C68 AC.

This thing is a strippy. Someone special ordered it, because most customers would not have wanted one this decontented. I am really surprised it doesn't have a 6spd and the Z07 package.
Posted on: 2009/10/18 16:55

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Bill,

Come on... "nothing rare on this car?" How can you say that? Didn't you read the stats I posted?

I interpret Bill's comment as meaning collectible. Rare doesn't equal collectible. The car is obviously rare, but I don't think it's a collectible.
But it is cool.
Posted on: 2009/10/18 17:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
Bill,

I interpret Bill's comment as meaning collectible. Rare doesn't equal collectible. The car is obviously rare, but I don't think it's a collectible.
But it is cool.

Yea, that's pretty much what I meant, I should have defined it better.
Sorry to step on your toes,Andy.
Posted on: 2009/10/18 18:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Oh, not to worry... I never said "rare" meant collectable either...
Posted on: 2009/10/18 21:48

MK 82 Re: Saw another C4, got me thinking
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Rare is one thing.

Collectible is rare and valuable.
Posted on: 2009/10/19 1:45

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I must have tipped someone off. The car is sold.
Posted on: 2009/10/19 13:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Not to worry, Dale. There's 20, 92-96s for sale close to you.
Fairly pricy though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchr ... d=72401&rdm=1255959741678
Posted on: 2009/10/19 13:45

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Thanks Bill. I always look, but not actively in the market. If I were, I'd have my 87 among those for sale. I've said before, there are only a few cars that would make me want to trade the 87, and a black rose car is one of them.

No sweat. I have a Vette.
Posted on: 2009/10/19 13:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, I always look but rarely stop because I'm very satisfied with the one I have.

I did freek last month, in the paper, a 03 Z06, 63 year old owner, 38k mi., garaged for $19,000.
I couldn't figure out how to do it and keep the black rose at the same time.
Posted on: 2009/10/19 13:58

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

The prices around here stop me. As you noticed, the cars are listed for prices that most here would be amazed at, and believe it or not, dealers sell them for close to their price. That black rose was listed for $11.8k. Once they got the price under $12k it sold pretty fast.
Posted on: 2009/10/19 14:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

When I bought mine, every car on a dealer's lot that I looked at just gave me pause.
I looked at 3 that were private, you could tell that the owners took extremely good care of the cars. I bought one, got all the paperwork from 25k miles to present.
I got the paperwork after we shook hands on price. The guy said oh, by the way, the car just had a clutch & flywheel installed ($2,200), new shocks, new antenna motor. And I have another top, do you want the car cover?
Posted on: 2009/10/19 14:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.