Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (274 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

daddue11 be patiant with the newbs
Senior Guru
Mountain View, Southern Mo.,
131 Posts

Because alot of them are new to the workings of the site.
When a newbie first comes to a web site it's for fast help,and if they get a fast curteous reply even if you can't help them,they will most likely stick around to make friends and find out more of what the site is about.
I got so dammed sick and tired of seeing (check the archives for help) (at the CF site) gimme a break they barely can find the site let alone search the archives,
Or if you are such a well tuned veteran of the site,look it up and tell them where to find it.
And I know that all of us are proud to be an American and have the right to voice our opinion.Sooo...Do you know how redneckish and totally ignorant it looks when"S.T.F.U. newb"is posted with an even more ignorant picture.whoever does that shyt should be banned just so they know how it feels to be made to S.T.F.U.
I agree it can get old answering the same old newbie questions,So don't answer,let somone else.
If we really welcome a newbie and make them feel at home...you couldn't pull them away with a front end loader,So let's make them feel like this should be HOME. daddue11
Posted on: 2007/9/9 22:12

bogus RE:be patiant with the newbs
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you have nailed it.

The first - main - reason C4 Guru was created was to become a library of info for C4 owners. This was manifested by the creation of the "Tech Tips" articles. It means we can direct folks immediately to a preexisting document that has all the info needed.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 0:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Z51 RE:be patiant with the newbs
Guru
OREGON
127 Posts

that was one thing that pizzed me off for the last time on CF... i asked a simple question, i even searched, and i still got my head bitten off, and i've been there for a couple of years
Posted on: 2007/9/10 2:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will admit, I am guilty of it... buy my annoyance is that I spent many an hour building the Tech FAQ... and it answers SO MANY BASIC QUESTIONS... and people refuse to read it. What part of "FAQ" don't you understand?
Posted on: 2007/9/10 3:19

Z51 RE:be patiant with the newbs
Guru
OREGON
127 Posts

i agree bogus
Posted on: 2007/9/10 12:18

NC Kid RE:be patiant with the newbs
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I do search and search because I want to learn but I still want to ask because something new might have been discovered or another view might be posted. yea, searching does help but it's not always the ONLY way. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/9/15 16:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree. Searching is a great way to learn, if only to ask the question more knowledgably.

It's one thing to just ask a question, sure, but if you have researched it, the knowledge gained will be very helpful. And perhaps DOES expand upon the base knowledge available.

For me, it gets old when people ask the same stupid questions over and over and over again... if I see another question about "is Mobil 1 ok?" Or, "which brake fluid is right for my baby?", I will literally scream into the night. They are not only pointless, they are inane.
Posted on: 2007/9/15 18:06

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Oil to me is oil. Change it 3000 miles and new filter and its the same. Your mostly paying for the name. I stay away from synthetic oil. Not worth the extra 3-5 dollars. Brake fluid...as long as its compatiable with ABS and is dot 3 then it's fine for me. I don't do autocrossing or dragging or street racing. Just normal driving. Same with brake pads and rotors. Nothing fancy. Atleast not right now. Maybe if I get into autocrossing but I doubt that highly. It's kind of annoying seeing someone post a quiestion thats already been starting that same day and they post in that thread then start there own asking the same quiestion. I'm guilty but I learned not to....I am just keeping my mouth shut from now on and answer only when I know the right answer and keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
Posted on: 2007/9/15 21:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I see where you are coming from.

I do disagree with one point, that is the that oil is not oil. Brands to make a difference, but once you get to the mainstream brands (Valvoline, Castrol, et.al.) they are about the same in quality.

It's the no-names that worry me.

I use synthetics, mostly, because of the fact it is factory recommended, but also because they deal with heat and gas mixing better than conventionals. Over time, the synthetics will help reduce sludging.

I saw the insides of a 90 L98 that had about 80k miles on it. The valley was filled with sludge. I was stunned the motor wasn't trashed.
Posted on: 2007/9/15 21:57

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I know this is off topic but I don't want to start a thread on one quiestion. When I first got my car, oil was changed with Quakerstate Synthetic. I thought it was good and stupid me....I like the color it was. Golden. Next day, bearing rod went out. I drove home and it was making this awful racket. Took it back to the dealer and he replaced it for free. Was only 15 days after I got it. Never used synthetic again. I have awful luck....I have been using fram filter and mobil oil. I am going to switch to K&N oil filter and not sure on oil. Castrol is pretty cheap but I have heard it called Crapstrol and penzoil has been called pissoil....Royal purple looks weird...Purple???
Posted on: 2007/9/15 22:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ah... the oil change made no net effect on your bearing failure. That's for sure.

I like the K&N filter for one huge reason - the nut at the bottom!

The only real problem with synthetic oils, especially on older engines, is taht synthetics find leak points - they don't CAUSE leaks - just find the ones that are there!

If it was me, I would stick with conventional - Castrol GTX is a good option - and wait until you rebuild to go with synthetic.
Posted on: 2007/9/15 23:51

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Does a bearing rod count as a new engine.
Posted on: 2007/9/16 1:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, well... it does.

For some reason, I thought you had some more miles on it.

I would use a quality synthetic. Try Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower. Either way, they rock. You can also take them 5000 miles with no worries. I do.
Posted on: 2007/9/16 3:34

CasetheCorvetteman RE:be patiant with the newbs
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I only use Castrol synthetic oils in any car i ever add oil to, Royal purple is garbage and has been believed to accelerate wear on some engine internals.

Bogus i have a big socket that fits the base of a regular oil filter, its a special tool required to change the filter on the Mercedes Benz i have here, and it also works fine for the filters used on LT1s. The Merc uses a cartridge type filter with a screw on cover at the top, which is the best oil filter setup ive ever seen for a number of reasons. One reason is there is no chance of it ever leaking unless the seal is missing (and a new seal is supplied with the Original Teile oil filter cartridge)
Posted on: 2007/9/16 12:04

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Im 2 chicken to go back to synthetic. That was just way to much of a coincedence...I thought royal purple. At CF there was like ten diff threads saying it reduced engine wear....then someone else said it looked like barney piss. Lots of If I ever do get a 383 with forged parts, then I would use synthetic...I like to change mine at 3000 regardless. I am dibating on buying a oil magnet that clamps on to the oil filter....So how many bearing rods do I have? How much is replaced when it's replaced?
Posted on: 2007/9/16 15:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it really depends.

A rod bearing - of which there are a total of 8 halves - can be done without much effort and without removing the entire engine.

it really depends on what they can do without major machining.

If the crank was screwed up by the bearing failure, then they have to rebuild. Otherwise, it can be done in as little as 2 hours. Seriously.

You will have to check the repair order to see what all they did. And, how long did they have the car?
Posted on: 2007/9/16 18:13

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Im 2 chicken to go back to synthetic. That was just way to much of a coincedence...I thought royal purple. At CF there was like ten diff threads saying it reduced engine wear....then someone else said it looked like barney piss. Lots of If I ever do get a 383 with forged parts, then I would use synthetic...I like to change mine at 3000 regardless. I am dibating on buying a oil magnet that clamps on to the oil filter....So how many bearing rods do I have? How much is replaced when it's replaced?

Here's a fact for you, straight up and dirrect, it was NOT sythetic oil that caused the bearing failure, plain and simple. Use it with confidence and know its a better product than mineral oil.

Ive seen first hand the damage believed to be caused by Royal Purple, its like as if the internals of these engines were being treated with a very light cutting compound in order to smooth out the internal sufaces (which is what they state on their website) Funny that, cause all 3 engines were perfectly fine before Royal Purple.
Posted on: 2007/9/16 20:36

red_johnny RE:be patiant with the newbs
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I am a FIRM believer in synthetic. Thats the ONLY kind of oil that goes into my vehicles. I have seen the differance between the two after a couple of oil changes.
Posted on: 2007/9/17 1:26

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Car was there for a day and then it was back....They did 0 machining so very little was fixed and they did it for FREE! I dunno.....been a while and so far no problems**KNOCK ON WOOD** and I hope it stays that way.....I wouldnt mind doing a small upgrade just for reliability from the motor. No horsepower or anything....maybe the pistions and seals and stuff but thats it...
Posted on: 2007/9/18 19:05

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Car was there for a day and then it was back....They did 0 machining so very little was fixed and they did it for FREE! I dunno.....been a while and so far no problems**KNOCK ON WOOD** and I hope it stays that way.....I wouldnt mind doing a small upgrade just for reliability from the motor. No horsepower or anything....maybe the pistions and seals and stuff but thats it...

If youre going that far with it you may as well do the lot.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 7:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.