Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
280 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A-Molds
These are a more traditional 5-spoke rim (than the Saw Blades).

Used on later ZR1s, the 1996 GrandSport and Collectors Edition....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

VetteUSA What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Guru Newb
103 Posts

What's wrong with just taking the harnesses that plug into the radio receiver box, and plugging those into the new HU harness? I've tested the theory with an older HU that I had lying around, and everything works just fine. Am I missing something here?

There's basically three harnesses that plug into the CDM. two smaller ones for the speakers, and another one for the power/ant/etc. I took those 3 harnesses, plugged them into my HU, and everything works as it should. Besides probably being the completely WRONG thing to do as far as audio is concerned, lol, why can't I just do that?

With the spare HU plugged in, I still get the same crap sound quality from the speakers as before, but i'm not too concerned with that, I just want the ability to play cds, listen to radio, and play mp3's.

Reason I'm asking is because my stock Blose HU/Controller is crapping out a piece at a time, and I need to get it swapped out. No backlight on the display, now the CD player sometimes won't work when there's a CD in there, and when that happens, no other buttons will work either, can't do anything, Radio or listen to my MP3 player via the tape deck, can't even set the clock..... nada. I know some of you will suggest Dr. Don's, but I'm not really interested in going that route.

Forgot to mention: I have a '93 Coupe - CDM is in storage compartment behind Passenger seat.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 7:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

The impedence on a bose stereo and an aftermarket stereo is completely different. A general aftermarket stereo gives a 4 ohm signal to the speakers. {edit} The bose units deliver a signal to the speaker circuit board that in turn amplifies the speaker itself at 1 ohm. If you overdrive the individual amplifiers, they will blow in a very short time.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:01

bogus Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Matt's half right.

The CDM is expecting a line level input, for all intents and purposes.

The head speakers are not line level... and for that matter, it's not a "line level" as we know it.

In short, don't do it!
Posted on: 2010/4/20 14:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

VetteUSA Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Guru Newb
103 Posts

Ok, will definetely take your advice and not do that. As far as the power harness (ign., ant.) is concerned, what's the best way of taking care of it? Is it ok to use the same harness? However, I'm guessing I need to get rid of the amp relay, but I'm assuming it's just a litttttle more involved than just possibly removing the relay, cutting the wires, and connecting the wires back together again. I'm not at my car right now, but it looked like there were 2 sets of 'power' wires that looped from the dash, and it looked like there was one set that went to the amp relay, and the other set was hardwired into the CDM, so i'm lost as far as what I just need to cut and get rid of.

I'm assuming i just need to cut the 'power' wires before they even reach relay or CDM, the wires closest to the front.
Yes, I am a dummy when it comes to anything audio/radio related, but that's why I'm here. I always assume i'm going to screw something up beyond repair.

Bottom line, i guess, what will i need to cut or just rip out?
Posted on: 2010/4/21 19:33

flyboy Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Don't want to change the subject but I have read that the Bose speakers are 1 ohm. Are they?
Posted on: 2010/4/21 20:17

383tpimachine Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

sposche makes a solder and play hookup. Works like a charm with 2 headunits so far in my 85 that had blose
Posted on: 2010/4/21 20:18

Matatk Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:

Don't want to change the subject but I have read that the Bose speakers are 1 ohm. Are they?

You're right. Disregard that previous info I typed. Bose speakers are 1 ohm, aftermarket are almost exclusively 4 ohm.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 0:37

bogus Re: What's wrong with just plugging the Radio Receiver harnesses directly into the new HU?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the interface is more than just a harness... it should have line level converters in it.

Same goes for the Delco system. The bose part is really the reciever module and the speakers. The head unit is Delco through and through.

What this means is that a CD player head can be pluged into the stock base Delco system and work just fine.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 0:48

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.